Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    18handyman18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Getting motorcycle out of storage after 20 yrs
    My motorcycle has been in storage for about 20 yrs. What should I do before trying to start it up again?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 01:38 PM

I think that is a no brainer. You should immediately truck it over to a motorcycle shop and let a professional peruse it and start it up after determining if that can be done right away. After sitting for 20 years, there wouldn't be a gasket that would be any good anywhere in it.

Tick
    darthsinister Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 04:57 PM

Absolutely take it to a bike shop and have them go over it. It may or may not need gaskets or the engine could be seized. They will be better equipped to deal with it.
    paulus570 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Do you want to get it going as a project or as a going concern? I could agree with the other two answers unless you want to have a go just for the hell of it and to learn. In which case... take out the plugs, change the oil, disconnect the battery and put it on charge. I hope it was stored without fuel? Take off the alternator cover and with a suitable sized socket, turn the engine, very gently, by hand and in the right direction. Slightest resistance and you have a seized engine. Should that go OK, give it about a dozen turns, just to get some lubrication over all the engine parts. Put the altenator cover back on, reconnect the battery and presuming it has electric start, try turning over a few times. If not try the kick start a few times. Now put the plug (s) in and see how it goes, you could even take pressure readings at this point to ensure you have a working sealed combustion chamber. Generally spray something like WD40 or a general ptfe spray over choke cable, throttle cables etc and work those until you're happy. Now you have two choices, either put some fuel in the tank, or connect an old washing up bottle with some fuel in it, to the fuel line instead of the tank, that way you are only using 1/4 Litre or so. Now try turning it over again with choke and see how it goes - gently with no revving or every seal you have will go bang. If it works and the engine runs OK, we go to step two !
    If it doesn't you either get the books out, ask again or revert to plan alpha - the shop.
    Good luck, let me know how you get on. By the way, what bike is it??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motorcycle backfiring [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2002 suzuki intruder and I am getting missfires and backfiring does this year of bike have points or electronic ignition and or could it have a bad coil. I have changed the plugs so they are new.

Honda50c100 motorcycle [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Pa I can not get points for my Honda 50 c 100 approx. year 1968. I think the number is C100-mo12467 old points are not in bike. I've tried David Spares failed there as well.I need HELP.

Motorcycle info [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a softail frame without a swing arm?

Motorcycle helmets [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently doing a research paper in my english class and the topic is should people wear motorcycle helmets? Its not a law in every state but should it be? Your thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!! :o

View more questions Search