Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Aug 24, 2009, 08:06 AM
    How to make a book
    My two sons have written a book (about 50 pages) each but we're trying to make into an actual book that they can keep. They've made illustrations and everything so we'd like to help them finish the thought. We've googled book makers but they are either way too expensive or don't work on such a small scale.

Any pointers and/or help to get our project finished would be much appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 08:30 AM

Is it your goal to sell the book, hand it out to family/friends - ?

A local printer can certainly assist you in having it professionally printed, including the illustrations.

If you are interested in publishing a limited number of copies you would need to find what is called a vanity publisher to do so.

Has it been copyrighted yet?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 09:14 AM

If it is your own child's book maybe this could work;
    How to Make Your Own Hardback Children's Book | eHow.com

We have small printer shops where they do the binding too, for example most school projects are printed and bound by these printers.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 03:08 AM
    Hi, rpray2007!

Yes, knowing your goal in what you would like to do with the book would be helpful. If it is perhaps to be a one-time binding for a single copy of each book, what are the dimensions of the pages, please?

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2009, 06:03 AM

Our plan is just to have it as a memento. And maybe give it to close family - so max 5 copies is all we're thinking.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 09:47 PM
    Hi again, rpray2007!

What would you like for the dimensions of the pages to be, please?

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2009, 10:37 PM

We're thinking letter size sheets with half-letter pages. We're actually setting in InDesign.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 11:41 PM
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "letter size sheets with half-letter pages". Would you explain what you mean by that, please?

Thanks!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 31, 2009, 12:05 AM

If you're thinking of hand-binding the books, then here are few instructions. I enjoy hand-binding books, and it's a lot easier than it looks.

How to bind a book

How to bind your own Hardback Book

Fun and Easy How to Guide to Binding Your Own Paperback Books At Home…FAST

Bookbinding Brian Sawyer

Secret Belgian Binding Instructions

Make Blank Books, Sketch Books or Repair Paperback Books with a Simple Japanese Bookbinding Technique -- a Tutorial

The last is the method I use. It's a very simple and sturdy binding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

Looking for book from The Weekly Reader Book Club, 60's or 70's, paperback, on WWI. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I trying to find a book that I bought in the mid-60's from The Weekly Reader Book Club. I believe it was simply called World War I. It's a small paperback. There's pictures in the book, one of which is subtitled "Doughboys to the Front". In this photo is my grandfather. I loaned...

Weekly reader book order book from the 80's [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I am so frustrated! I had this book when I was in the 5th grade in the 80's, I'd say it was around 1985 or 1986. Anyway, I loved this book and I lost it when I was a kid and I would give ANYTHING to find it again! I got the book from the Weekly Reader book order in school. There was a girl...

View more questions Search