Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frostybabygurl Posts: 117, Reputation: 6

Aug 24, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Strange flying insect with pic
    Anyone know what this is? I live In Ontario and just spotted this as we were walking out of Shoppers Drug Mart. Creeped
    Attached Images

minaeve25 Posts: 39, Reputation: 8

Aug 24, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Looks like a cicada.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 08:21 AM

Mayfly
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Adult mayflies are relatively uniform in appearance. They range from 5 mm to 3 cm long, with one or two pairs of triangular wings (the front wing is the largest) and two or three long tails or caudal filaments. The adults usually have clear wings with distinct venation. The subadults, or subimagoes, have cloudy wings.

Larval mayflies range in size from about one cm to 3 cm or more. They vary greatly in appearance from stream-lined swimmers to frilly-gilled burrowers and flattened rock-huggers. Their appearance can be quite striking with contrasting color patterns of pale yellow and dark brown to orange tinges. The unifying feature is the abdominal gills variously modified as plates or feathery gills. There can be two or three tail filaments.

Ephemeroptera are found throughout the world except Antarctica. Currently twenty families are reported from Canada represented by 321 species. The Saskatchewan fauna is made up of 107 species belonging to 18 families.

The greatest diversity of mayflies is found in cool rivers and streams. A number of species inhabit lakes particularly those with wave washed, rocky shorelines and cold water. In warm prairie sloughs and potholes only three species have been recorded. Generally mayflies require unpolluted, well-oxygenated, cool water to survive. This makes many mayfly communities useful indicators of ecosystem health. In many habitats they are important fish food, as "fly fishermen" will attest.
    Saskatchewan Mayflies (Ephemeroptera)
    -----------------------------
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 04:02 PM
    Firmbeliever got it.

Here's other pictures:Image Search Results

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

White winged flying human biting insect [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me identify insect. We were thinking it was a bird mite, but looking at the pictures, the characteristics of my insect doesn't match totally with a bird mite. It is white in coloring, has pinchers, legs and almost transparent wings. It lands and bites, it also leaves a red spot on...

Strange cricket like insect under my christmas tree [ 2 Answers ]

I was cleaning up yesterday when out of no where this giant cricket jumped out at me, right out from under the tree. Got my dogs interest. We chased it and couldn't catch it. It was really really fast. And it could jump really high too. It jumped right over my dog who stands 3 feet at the...

Insect help! [ 7 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

Insect help! [ 2 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

View more questions Search