Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lojoano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 02:33 AM
    Making A Claim against recently deceased fathers' estate
    I am one of three sisters whose father left us in 1960, and he remarried in the 1970's. He was only in contact with our eldest sister, until dementia made it impossible for her to continue contact. We were told that he had died on 17 August this year, and that he had been cremated with no funeral service. He leaves a wife and a stepson (who was around when our father left us in 1960) who is definitely not his son.
    Can we lay claim to his estate? I am thinking more of when his present wife dies, than an immediate claim. This way, when his wife dies, her son wouldn't be the only benefactor, and we would be able to have an inheritance from our father.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 04:39 AM

It depends on the state of his estate. If he willed is property to someone, that person gets it. If he had no will, most states automatically will everything or most everything to his surviving spouse.

Your best bet is to contact a probate lawyer and see what the situation is. Its *possible* that you make be awarded something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario, Canada - Establishing paternity and making a claim against father's estate [ 10 Answers ]

I am an adult and would like to make a claim against my deadbeat dad's estate when he dies. His name is not on my birth certificate as he and my mother were both married to others when I was conceived. To the best of my knowledge, in Ontario Canada, paternity must be established while both...

Do I have the right to claim heir to deceased biological father's estate? [ 8 Answers ]

When I was 3 years old, my FATHER proved my mother "unfit" (Basically, I believe he lied but somehow proved adultery.) and was awarded full custody of me. Two weeks later, he brought me to my grandmother's house (where my mother was living at the time) and told my grandmother that he could not...

How to claim fathers from fathers neglegence in child support after 20 years [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in georgetown guyana.my dad departed yo canada since I was a 4 year old kid,I suffered since because dad never sent one sent to my grandma (his mom to support me)AS A RESULT I WAS PHYSICALLY,PHYCHOLOGICALLY,SEXUALLY AND MORE,abused as a result of dads absence and lck of responsabliity as...

Do I have a claim to my bio-fathers estate? [ 11 Answers ]

I am age 60. I live in CA. I have a half brother who also lives in CA, we share the same Bio. Father but not the same mother. I found out about my half brother about ten years ago when our father past away. I never knew our father as he and my mother divorced at my age 5. Our father never called...

Father recently deceased with no will, don't know where to start. [ 5 Answers ]

My father died in a vehicle accident a few days ago. There is no will that we the family know of and his girlfriend isn't being of any help. The only thing she gave us was a suitcase with 4 picture frames and two pairs of socks. We've never dealt with anything like this so we're all looking for...

View more questions Search