Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    safire923 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Difference between sodium bentonite and bentonite clay
    Hi guys,

I hope I have the right topic in which to ask this question! Here it goes: is there a difference between sodium bentonite and bentonite clay?

I ask because the fresh step clay litter that I have for my cats contain bentonite clay and my puppy's lab results came back that she has sodium bentonite in her system.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP... MY PUPPY'S HEALTH IS AT STAKE! :(

THANK YOU
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 10:59 AM
    I see from the first few web pages here that there are instances of illnesses due to pets eating litter containing that chemical.

Did you have the labwork on the puppy done due to problems or illness you noticed?

I'd certainly ask the vet if the amount found in your puppy's system is worthy of concern.
    safire923 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Yes There Is Concern Which Is Why I Asked If There Is A Difference. Would You By Any Chance Know The Answer To My Question?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 08:47 AM
    As to the difference you asked about, the answer is no.

Bentonite is a clay that exists in two forms; the swelling kind and the non swelling kind. Both are Bentonite. Sodium Bentonite (the swelling kind) is the active ingredient in some cat litters.

Here is a specific article on the health issues with pets and sodium bentonite:
    http://www.thelighthouseonline.com/a.../moredata.html
    purenaturecures Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 01:53 AM
    Hi, you are probably asking for a difference between sodium bentonite and calcium bentonite clays. The two clays are different and behave differently. Calcium benotnite is the non-swelling type with calcium being the active ion in the clay, while sodium bentonite is a swelling clay, with sodium being the active ion. Clays exchange their active ions with the environment. From the point of view of health, it means that clays give the body their freely exchangeable ions of calcium, sodium, magnesium for those the body does not need - namely heavy metals and other toxins.

The clays behave differently too. Calcium benotnite mixes with water easily, while sodium bentonite takes time to mix with water. The explanation is simple - their pH levels are different. Calcium bentonite normally has a neutral or slightly acidic pH of 6-7, while sodium bentonite is highly alkaline - its pH is 9-10. The high pH can be used to reduce body acidity and for other purposes.

Warm wishes,

Galina St George
    Www.naturalrussia.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid [ 11 Answers ]

What is the product of sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid?

Sodium to Carbon? [ 6 Answers ]

1. Is it possible to convert Sodium to Carbon, if so, how? 2. How does one remove electrons from an atom who's first and second shell are "static"? 3. Is it possible to add an negative charge to the first shell of a Sodium atom and thereby converting it to another element without having to...

Sodium Vapor Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

These outdoor flood lights blink, flash on/off or go out entirely when they are defective. Sometimes it appears to be a defective lamp, while other times the ballast will need replacement. These new ballasts have the capacitor glued directly to the transformer. The manufacturer clearly wants you to...

Need to grow grass in clay [ 2 Answers ]

My new yard seems to be all clay, water just runs off, some areas are flat areas and some a little hilly, so it washes everything off in rain, should I rototill and add something? And what is the best grass to grow?

View more questions Search