Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mabelmm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Heat conduction
    Hey anyone knows which common materials get the warmest for heat absorption?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 31, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mabelmm
    Hey anyone knows which common materials get the warmest for heat absorption?

Diamond is the best heat conductor followed by metals--silver being the best but the less expensive copper is used more frequently. Then come quartz and glass followed by wood, styrofoam, wool, siilica aerogel, air, water, ice, and mercury--another metal which is somehow not a very good heat conductor.

CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics

Material Thermal conductivity (298K)

W/mK
    Diamond 895-2300
    Silver 429
    Copper 386
    Gold 317
    Aluminium 237
    Brass 120
    Platinum 71.6
    Iron 80.2
    Lead 35.3
    Quartz (273K) 6.8-12
    Glass 1.35
    Wood 0.04 (balsa) - 0.35 (fir)
    Styrofoam 0.033
    Wool 0.04
    Silica aerogel 0.017
    Air (100 kPa) 0.0262
    Water 0.6062
    Ice (273K) 2.2
    Mercury 8.514

Pots are fitted with copper bottoms because copper is a good conductor while the rest of the pot can be made of stainless steel-a mediocre heat conductor which will make the transfer of heat from the food in the pan and into the atmosphere slower.
    gargi patel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
    Write an experiment on heat conductivity?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whalen Heat Pump - no heat! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it. Well, now that the weather is...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat [ 5 Answers ]

Physical Science student Estella uses an electric tea kettle to disinfect her apartment freezer with steam made from frost ice. She stuffs 2.0kg of frost ice into her kettle. The ice has an initial temperature of -20 degrees celsius. The specific heat of ice is=2100J/kg degrees celsius. The...

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Why do metal surfaces feel cool to the touch even when they are at the same temperature as their surrounding??

View more questions Search