Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 07:27 PM

If DG's right, then transfer the valve cover if it will fit.
    SirJaymz Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks DG. Closer inspection on both engines located the vacuum tube needed to be on the dipstick on the old engine. The new engine's dipstick didn't have one, so I swapped it out. Kind of time consuming for a novice, but not terrible hard thankfully.

I installed the old fuel pump. Now it seems to run just fine once I get it started. My 45 min lawn took almost 3 hours to cut back down going very slow, but it'll look decent for my brother's graduation party in a few weeks now. ^_^

The downside is that it seems the fuel pump might be giving it too much gas when it tries to start, as well as at any idle speed other than the fastest. Seems to flood a bit on start and it takes jumping the battery to my truck and turning it over for quite a while before I can get the old girl going. Also, if I idle the tractor down, it doesn't take long for it to start coughing and sputtering and finally stalling. Definitely seems to be getting too much gas. /sigh.

I guess considering how novice I am at mechanical work, I'm doing OK, and I really appreciate the tips and feedback by the people here. Its been a tremendous help. Sometimes you just need that little nudge down the right path. Thus, if anyone has an idea about the tractor getting too much gas now... heh

Also, to answer your question K.i.S.S. I have a very hard time using phones. I have telephobia. I've also been a carpenter for many years and the screaming skill saws, hammers and everything else that goes with it has degraded my hearing, which has only made the phobia that much more real and consequential. Sorry. :(
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 09:09 PM

Sorry about your phone phobia. I have tinnitus at 2600 Hz, so ATM beeps are a problem and I have problems hearing inteligible conversations on some phones, namely cell phones.

I hope you set the throttle plates correctly. You should make sure the choke closes at full throttle.

The carb seems to have an idle mixture screw which means it's only effective at idle which is where your having issues. Don't be afraid to play with it. What you can do is count the number of 1/4 turns until it bottoms out. That becomes your reference.

If you assumed a totally overhauled engine, usually the steps are something like. Turn right until it bottoms and back out 1.5 turns. Attempt to start and idle.

Since your running, you should only need to tweek it. Set the engine to idle and adjust till it's smooth.
    SirJaymz Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Almost forgot to follow up... Finally got the machine running well. At one point I backed the darn screw out so far it fell out and was lost while running... but perseverance has paid off.

The mower belt shredded itself, so I replaced both and sharpened the blades. Dropping the mower deck was so much easier than I envisioned. Also gave her a new battery. Hopefully she'll be trouble free for a little while now!

Thanks again for all the help and tips given here. I really couldn't have done it without everything that was posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton engine on a lawn tractor will not start [ 8 Answers ]

I recently got a used Craftsman lawn tractor with 15.5 HP turbo OHV Briggs & Stratton engine. It does not start - it cranks, engine turns (when I take out the spark plug, I can feel puffs of air coming out), but the engine does not catch on. I have put in a new battery, cleaned air filter, put in...

Craftsman lawn tractor with Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP OHV, Inteck engine [ 4 Answers ]

Engine worked fine last week and for 3 minutes after start this week. Then the engine sound changed. Itd made sounds like metal balls banging around inside. Now it will not start / turn-over. Just the sound of metal balls banging around inside the top of the engine. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Lawn Tractor will not start, Briggs&Stratton 18.5hp engine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 and 1/2 year old Craftsman Lawn Tractor with 18.5 Briggs & Stratton Engine (31P777-0348-E1). I has been serviced each year prior to use. Have been using all season with no visible problems. After starting the engine and ridng for about 2 minutes, the engine stopped. There is no noise...

CRAFTSMAN Briggs & Stratton 19HP 46" Lawn Tractor Won't Start unless. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - My CRAFTSMAN Briggs & Stratton 19HP 46" Lawn Tractor Won't Start unless I put some gas directly in the carb. I've changed the spark plugs, put new gas in the tank and replaced the small fuel filter. I'm encouraged that it finally started, but it won't start without adding the gas...

Craftsman lawn tractor 19.5 Briggs twin engine won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Last time I used this mower was about 3 months ago, ran it out of gas and left It (covered). Tried to start it yesterday after putting in about 3 gallons of new gas And it will crank fine but not start.. I took off the air cleaner and trickled in a bit of gas And it started to run and...

View more questions Search