Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbing121560 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 04:25 AM
    Low water pressure after turing main valve back on
    I needed to turn the main water valve to the house off for a plumbing repair. Made the repair, turned the main valve back on and there is very little water pressure throughout the house. How do I restore the water back to the original water pressure?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 04:41 AM
    Hi Plumbing121560...

First thing is to check/clean the aerators (see pic.) at the sinks... sometimes these clog up after shutting/opening the main water supply and give the illusion that the water pressure/volume has been diminished.

If that fails to resolve the issue then shut the main water off and on again... see if that improves things.

If not improved after that shut the water supply off again and then disconnect the water meter completely and then turn the water supply back on... see how the pressure/volume is now..

If still low pressure/volume then the stem to the handle of the shutoff has broken and the shutoff will need to be replaced. You will need to schedule the city/town water department and a plumber (if needed) to finish this job.

Let me know how you make out or if you have more questions...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC is turing off main power switch in the fuse box! [ 2 Answers ]

During Hurricane Ike, my house lost power and after the storm, when power came everything was all right except the ac. When I went to the fuse box(breaker), I saw the AC switch was OFF. When I flicked it to ON, it turned the main power switch to OFF and the whole house went dark again. I tried a...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Water main cut off valve [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a condo and while updating my bathroom I was turning off the hot water valve under the sink and it came off in my hand! I turned off the water main cut off valve located near the hot water tank. The cold water was off and I let the hot water run for almost 1/2 hour thinking I was...

Which water main valve and fittings do I use? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm renovating my basement and want to replace the existing water main valve that is leaking. The house is a 1922 row house so the incoming water service pipe (pipe from the street to my house) is a lead pipe with male threads. The current leaky main valve is an iron valve that connects...

View more questions Search