Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JPSmith724 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Being held hostage...
    I have a credit card through a well known bank (almost 2 years) and recently when I tried to make my statement payment I logged in to find another credit card listed under my accounts and when I called to question it, they said it was from their takeover of another bank and it was from their files. She said the account was opened in 1994, I cannot confirm or deny it and asked for proof (which they are supposedly sending) but they will not allow me to make a payment on my current credit account until this one gets resolved. I looked up the state I was in if in fact I did have that credit card and the statute of limitations has expired. It is not showing up on any of my three credit reporting agencies reports (8/06). Are they legally allowed to block me from paying my current card by making me pay for that other card from 1994 first?? Repeated calls says they have the right to do so, I say they don't as this other old bank never approached me saying I had an outstanding debt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2006, 07:53 AM
    This doesn't make any sense. The two accounts are separate. I have no idea why they would not let you keep the existing account up to date. I would a) put the payment in an escrow account to show that you have every intention of paying and b) get it in writing that you have tried to make your regular payment and its been refused.
    JPSmith724 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 09:10 AM
    All has almost been resolved! My bank which bought the other credit card company has finsihed their conversion and that account from 1994 was elminated from my current account so it no longer shows under my name. It was my account (the one from 1994) but that other bank never pursued me for the outstanding balance, never reported it to credit reporting agencies and I guess it slipped through the cracks as I obviously forgot about it. My bank assured me it would be removed, no action will be taken against me now or in the future regarding that delinquent account from 1994 (less than $130 balance) A letter was faxed to me stating that (after I insisted) which I received promptly this morning. The only problem now is the online service is down so I cannot post a payment, but my payment isn't due for another two weeks and she advised me that the payment service will be down till at least over the weekend. So, all is well again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roman Tub Hand Held Shower - DIVERTER [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a jacuzzi tub and a Price Pfister Roman Faucet set. My wife has requested a Hand Held Shower attachment and OBVIOUSLY I want to fulfill her request. Here is my dilemma: I NEED A DIVERTER for this faucet set which can be activated forn the tub and the hose can...

Emotional Hostage [ 6 Answers ]

I need some information on dealing with a person who is extremely compulsive and has extreme boundary issues. She is my younger sister. I took care of my mother at home for two years after she had a stroke. She passed away a couple of years ago, and at that time, I invited my younger sister to...

View more questions Search