Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sureshkarora Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 06:52 AM
    L1 Visa from July 2008 but still company is deducting tax as NON resident allien
    Hi

I am on L1B - Single from Last year July 2008 but my company is still deducting my taxes as NON RESIDENT ALLIEN. I read after 183 it should be as resident allien.

Also I am getting married in Nov 09 and will bring my spouse on L2 in Dec 09. Can we both file married filed jointly for next year return. I am sure she will be not working at that time.

Please advice?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Suresh:

The withholding for INCOME taxes is no different whether you are a resident or non-resident alien, as the tax rates are the same.

However, they SHOULD be withholding FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes. You were liable for these taxes from the day you arrived in the U.S.

Yes, you will file jointly with your wife. She will need to submit Form W-7 with a notarized photocopy of her passport when you file the return.

Aug 24, 2009, 07:27 AM

Hi Tax expert

One more thing she is working in India right now and she will come to US in dec 09 . So filling next year return should I go for jointly or single
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 07:32 AM
    You should STILL file jointly.

Due to the timing of her arrival in the U.S. she can apply for the Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555), which means she adds her income to the top of the reurn, then exclude it at the bottom olf the return.

Aug 24, 2009, 07:35 AM

She will be non resident at that time.. does this matter and also will I claim her as a dependent while filiing jointly
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 02:21 PM
    She will CHOOSE to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2008 (as will you). In fact, you and she will sign a statement to that effect and attach to the tax return.

Sep 28, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Can I claim her as dependent in my next year return?
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 08:23 AM
    As noted in another posting, one spouse CANNOT claim the other as a dependent. They are JOINT filers.

In some circumstances, one spouse who is filing married filing separately MAY be able to claim the other spouse's personal exemption, but even then, he/she is NOT claim the spouse as a dependent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1-B short term no idea of tax, company deducting all 3 taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am sure everyone on this forum is busy, however if some one can guide me of would be great help. I am on H1-B but for a short term and on salary. My US stays is 14Dec 2008 till 28Feb 2009. My employer has been deducting federal tax, social security tax and medicare tax for the...

Resident allien status [ 1 Answers ]

If I settle a case of a 2nd degree felony, can it affect my resident allien status?

Tax status of child living away in home country of resident allien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1-B status since May 2005. And My wife has been on H1-B Status since June 2005. We both on H1-B status for the complete year 2006. We are bringing our daughter to USA for the first time this end of April or First week of May on My H4 dependent VISA. Is there any IRS rule...

Tax status about child living away in home country of resident allien [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Me and My wife are from India and both of us working in USA on H1B visa status. We have a 7 year old daughter who is staying with her grand parents in India and studying There. We send money to her grand parents for all her expenses. Now we are decided to Bring our daughter this end of...

View more questions Search