Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Clough - music stuff
    I would appreciate knowing more about your piano playing sometime. But, that would probably best to be done by starting a new thread.
    My piano playing? It stinks. Well, OK - I can play, some days better than others. Non-musicians think I'm great, but a real musician would know better. LOL.

Yes, I'm a musician. :) (If our profiles came back, I think it's in there.) I just got really burnt on everything I was doing so I up and quit. Piano's what I started on as a kid, but it kind of went down the tubes. But I also started clarinet later, which became my main instrument and I was always better at that than piano. I also used to teach it - I once took a "leave of absense" but never returned to it. I have several other instruments around, but these days I pretty much just mess on the piano cause it's easy to sit & play and not mess with reeds or get holes in my fingers from the guitar.

As for Quad... very cool. Was that Holst's 1st Suite I heard? I have a recording of me doing that nifty solo clarinet part on the 2nd movement. However, it stinks cause it was just a little portible cassette recorder. And you made me pull out my CD of Cleveland Symphonic Winds with Frederick Fennell and listen to it and waste all my free time. :-) (I just hadn't heard the Holst for so long... well, I was compelled.)

But I got spooked by that audition thing. I only had to audition for one thing and it scared the pants off me. I think I've got the Voxman around somewhere, but I lost half my stuff when I moved. Just curious to see what those etude requirements are. Not that I'm going to audition, mind you. I'd be too pooped from the drive to play when I got there. :-)

I do have to admit that it made me miss it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 02:08 AM
    Hey, morgaine300!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Our profiles are still there, they can be seen if you use the default skin. That skin is considerably more colorful than the other one. Or, are there even more skins?

Yes, I think that's the last movement of Holst's 1st Suite. I kind of wish that I'd been given another sound example to put on the site. On of the trombone players does a "clam" on that mp3. I do have other cd's of the Wind Ensemble performing. I think that I'll change the sound file on the site in the near future. I've got one with me on a bongo solo!

I'm stuck right now on a Windows '98 machine on a phone line. Something's got ahold of my main computer, so things are really slow right now. Once I'm back up to high-speed, I'll be updating the Wind Ensemble site. Hardly worth the effort right now, because of being on a phone line and getting disconnected so much.

I think that I played in a massed-band thing directed by Frederick Fennell when I was in high school.

I've worked with Hymie Voxman a number of times when accompanying one of his students who taught at Augustana College, here in Rock Island. I would play for all of her recitals. She's not teaching there anymore and I really miss performing with her!

I think that Hymie is still alive, but not sure. I think that he would have to be in his 90's! He's an incredibly polite and nice guy!

So, how far away do you live from where I live, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 02:14 AM
    I found what you had written about you in your Profile, morgaine300! It can be seen, if you use the default skin.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:10 PM

Well, I didn't notice anything about a trombone at all. But I'll look forward to hearing your bongo solo.

In high school I still only played piano and guitar so I was never in any bands. I was in the choir - in fact, for a long time I considered myself more of a vocalist. However, I haven't done any serious singing for a long time so I've lost a lot of that too. (I seem to have lost a lot of a lot of things, huh?) I have a basic level of vocal talent, but was never one of these people who could just open their mouth and sound wonderful. I always had to work at it really hard and always keep on top of it, and since I haven't seriously practice since way back when, my voice really isn't so hot anymore. I've actually tried to do a bit of that on my own recently cause it ticks me off that I can't sing anymore.

The band stuff came later. I have had the privilege of meeting several band composers, because one band that I was in for about 15 years had a guest composer every year. Some of them conducted horribly, but others were quite good. Robert Jäger was my favorite - hilarous man. Frank Ticheli was my least favorite - very, very odd man and bad conductor. I can't remember them all, but there was Robert Smith, Jim Curnow... wow, losing my memory.

We also sometimes had guest players, but no one as big as a Canadian Brasser. (I had no clue Ron Romm had left. Most of the stuff I bought was in the 90's and that was the group I got used to.)

Oh, and I'm about a days' drive from you. Unlike people like you, I have no desire to give away where I'm at though. (If you want to know that badly, I can PM it.)

As for the profiles, I don't know what you're talking about with the default skin. I have never changed anything and didn't even know there were skins. I have had other problems too, like not being able to delete my own posts, even though the button is supposedly there. So I don't know what's going on.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 12:51 AM
    Hey, morgaine300!

I finally found this thread again!

Did you ever figure out how to try differen't "skins" on this site?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 02:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post

Did you ever figure out how to try differen't "skins" on this site?
    I don't think I can. I did a search in the help files and it said something about that setting being on the lower left of the page -- not sure what page but I checked a bunch of different places and have never seen any such thing. It says if you don't see it then you can't change it. (Obviously.)

But the very fact that I've never changed it means I must be using the default. So there's still some other issue going on. I'm starting to wonder if it's cause I'm using an older Firefox. But same problem with IE.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 02:07 AM
    I'd been using the lighter skin ever since I started here. It wasn't the default skin. I would think that the default skin would be the one that people would first be able to use.

Apparently, it isn't...

I would suggest going to your profile and seeing what you can do as far as using another skin. That's what I did...

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 02:20 AM

But I can't find any way to change it. It's just not there. It's not the only thing I can't find that's supposed to be here. That's why I wonder if it's the browser.

Besides, the profiles should show up regardless, so something's wrong. I heard it was something they were working on.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 02:29 AM
    What do you see now as the "skin" of this site, morgaine300?

On my current browser, I see red (or, orange) as the outline.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2009, 01:22 PM

Blue.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Hi, morgaine300!

If you go to Edit Options in your Pofile, you should see a Forum Skin thing at the bottom of the page. I would suggest giving that a try.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 11:56 PM

I already tried that the other day and it's not there.

You don't believe me that this thing doesn't exist for me, do you? :-)
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
    Hi again, morgaine300!

I'm not sure that you're looking in the proper place for the skin change thing.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 11:09 AM

Edit Options - I know where that is.

But I've also noticed other problems. There's been other things I've asked about how to do and been directed somewhere and it hasn't existed. And then heard from others they're experiencing the same thing.

I know they've been messing with some stuff, and since I've not updated my browser in a while, I'm starting to wonder if there's some kind of issue with that. I do know of one thing that is most definitely a browser thing.

(On the other hand, profiles should show up regardless of which skin I'm using - I know the profiles was one of the things that was messed up.)
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 11:01 PM
    Hi, morgaine300!

What browser are you using?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 07:47 PM

Firefox, but it's an older one. I also have IE6 but I haven't looked at the site with that for a while - maybe I should.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    (On the other hand, profiles should show up regardless of which skin I'm using - I know the profiles was one of the things that was messed up.)
    We've been told that our profiles are "hidden" for now, but will be allowed to show at a future time.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
    This seeing the profile thing is truly a mystery to me. I can view mine, Wondergirl's and your profiile, morgaine300 just fine. That's with using a Netscape 7.2 browser.

Nothing fancy there...

Ny thought is, if either of you play around with you options, then you should be able to see profiles as they were.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 12:41 PM

My gut feeling is that whatever they are messing around with is making stuff work in some browsers and not in others.

I didn't like Firefox 3.5, so I just recently discovered a link where I could still get 3 and downloaded it. I just installed it last night but this site was down so I couldn't mess around here.

So instead I was busy messing with the "themes" for Firefox cause I can't stand the new look. Too much like IE7. Right now I've got this interesting silver thing going on - even the right-click menu is silver.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 12:42 PM

My gut feeling is that whatever they are messing around with is making stuff work in some browsers and not in others.

I didn't like Firefox 3.5, so I just recently discovered a link where I could still get 3 and downloaded it. I just installed it last night but this site was down so I couldn't mess around here.

So instead I was busy messing with the "themes" for Firefox cause I can't stand the new look. Too much like IE7. Right now I've got this interesting silver thing going on - even the right-click menu is silver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thank you clough! [ 4 Answers ]

Clough- I received your answers to my last questions, Thank you very much it was very helpful! I just needed some help on how to word my ads? Again, I have a home and commercial cleaning business. Also, what is the product that will take soap scum off showers? Thank you and I look forward to...

For Clough [ 122 Answers ]

I am out of work and I want to take this opportunity to get my education. In this day and time you need both parties working in the household to make it. Right now we are barely surviving on his pay alone. I am seeking an online degree from CTU, because I am so tired of the endless dead-end jobs...

This is for Clough. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I use free internet advertising to start my commercial janitorial business? Clough, if your out there I could use your help. I've read some replies about using free internet advertising but not sure how to use it. Do I just post an ad about my business to all these free sites, keep them...

View more questions Search