Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 12:45 PM

More curious stuff... I went to post that and it told me I had to wait 28 seconds cause I'd just posted. Except that I never posted anything. I've seen this happening a lot recently.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 02:32 PM
    That is really curious, especially if you hadn't posted anything on the particular thread? Is that what you mean?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 02:51 PM

I hadn't posted anything at all on the site at the time. This was the first thread I went to today. And that was the first time I hit the post button - and then there were two.

I wish money could multiply that way. :-)
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 03:03 PM
    I find that happening when I'm on a dial-up connection. Are you on a dial-up connection?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 06:13 PM

Nope.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    This seeing the profile thing is truly a mystery to me. I can view mine, Wondergirl's and your profiile, morgaine300 just fine. That's with using a Netscape 7.2 browser.

Nothing fancy there...

Ny thought is, if either of you play around with you options, then you should be able to see profiles as they were.

Thanks!
    I don't know how you can see profiles. I can't and others can't. RickJ posted this today in another thread:

Ultimately, we would like to see the "qualifications" in the profile as a part of the "review" prior to changing a person's status to Expert. Admins can see that profile info.

Admittedly, ALL users need to be able to see it.

...we're working on that
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 01:27 PM
    I can see them. It's because I changed the skin to the default one.

Here are both of your profiles.

Thanks!

About Wondergirl
    Experience
    As the first-born child of a Lutheran minister (a double whammy!), a former Lutheran grade school teacher and tutor, since 1981 a library employee who started at the bottom as a book shelver and climbed through the ranks as reference clerk to head of circulation to reference librarian to senior cataloger (meanwhile starting and supervising a volunteer program, coordinating court-ordered community service workers, and initiating/managing a homebound book delivery system), along the way earning a master's in counseling psychology while interning at Catholic Charities (working with families and individuals) and at a Center for Aging (counseling and bringing social opportunities to homebound seniors), I have experienced a wonderful and exciting ride on the road of life.

Also along the way, in 1985 I started a small business as a job coach and led workshops to help people with resumes and job hunting. The research and writing I did for that opened a door into writing for publication. In 1989 the Chicago Historical Society accepted a long article another librarian and I wrote about Chicago's Auditorium. A few years later I began to research and write for a California small press. Three books on Texas history and one on Illinois history resulted from that relationship.

During the past few years, I've turned to writing fiction. Many of the older female library patrons have moaned about the lack of romances for and about older women, so I have been writing the first of (what I hope will be) many. I've always been an avid reader, so that has helped me become a better writer. A short story of mine about a librarian and an autistic volunteer was recently accepted by an autism magazine (to be published in the Spring of 2008). Several of my stories are "out there," and I need to set aside time to write and submit more.

I'm the mother of two adult sons (one of whom is high-functioning autistic--hyperlexic), am owned by four adorable cats, and have survived 40 years being married to the same man (or maybe he has been the one to survive?).
    Expert Forum

Signature

Obama 08 -- Yes, we can! Think about it -- what can we do together to make this a better world?
    Suggestion #1 -- Pick up and throw away trash that you see lying around.
    Suggestion #2 -- Volunteer at least two hours at week at an area hospital, nursing home, animal shelter, food pantry, soup kitchen, nursing home, public library.
    Suggestion #3 -- Come to a complete stop at any stop sign.
    Suggestion #4 -- Don't drive while talking on your cell phone.

About morgaine300
    Experience
    I kind of hate filling these things out. But here goes...

AAS in Accounting
    ~20 years experience in accounting, mostly privately for small companies
    Have been privately tutoring both accounting and business math courses for almost 15 years

OK, that's it for the official stuff.

I also have been using computers since the late 70's. I'm by no means an expert, but know more than an average person and am messing with them all the time. I also play computer games, not that it means anything. :-)

I also have a fair amount of knowledge about cats, particularly about nutrition and certain diseases common to older cats. This is from my own experiences dealing with them, but also from being a member of many online groups and doing research.
    Occupation
    Accounting & Math Tutor
    Expert Forum
    Google AdSense channel
    AMHD
    Paypal Email Address
    [Edit.]
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 01:04 AM
    Expert Forum
    It still has me as an expert? That disappeared when I took a leave of absence. And I don't think that's related to the profile problems.

Paypal Email Address
    [Edit.]
    Does that actually show my address? I thought that was supposed to be hidden.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 01:31 AM
    Hmmm...

Yes, that's interesting that you're still listed as an Expert. I wish that you still were labeled as such! You certainly do enough work around here!

Yes, your email address is there. At least it's visible to me. I edited it out of my post.

Well, that's what I'm seeing, anyway... 'tis a mystery!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 02:05 AM
    Yes, that's interesting that you're still listed as an Expert. I wish that you still were labeled as such! You certainly do enough work around here!
    Why thank you. :-) I did PM someone (eh hem) about it and never got a response.
    Yes, your email address is there. At least it's visible to me. I edited it out of my post.
    Well, I think I'm going to have to dump the Paypal thing then. I don't want everyone seeing that address and I don't want the names connected. (I protect my identity and privacy very carefully.) Well, at least this little exchange let me know that. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 02:22 AM
    It looks like your Paypal email address has been removed from your "About Me" part of your profile.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 05:44 PM

I do have an email I never use that matches my ID here, so I added it to Paypal. I prefer at least the matching IDs.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 01:52 PM
    I always try to have an email address that identifies me with who I am. It helps to give a person credibility to do that.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Hey, morgaine300!

Are you still interested in "talking" music stuff with me?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 05:37 PM

Sure. :-)
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 09:56 PM
    Wind Ensemble has started and I've already been given a major piano solo piece with a small group of winds. Only one on a part!

The same thing happened last season, except that it was with the whole band.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 11:01 PM

Cool for you!

I always wanted to do more small ensemble stuff, but it never seemed the opportunities arose. We sometimes would put a small ensemble together out of the one concert band I was in, or sometimes a vocal solo, either with band backup or piano. I used to do some piano accompanying, but nothing too difficult. :)

I tried to get a woodwind quartet together at one point. We were all in the same concert band together and we did play at the regular concerts, and also picked up a few church gigs and such. But it didn't last. One person was never taking it seriously enough and would also get bored with the music quickly and want to start something new just as we finally getting ourselves together on what we were already doing. So much for the concept of having a repertoire... :rolleyes:

Are you familiar with the Brahms clarinet sonatas? I always wished I knew someone who played well enough to handle those. The piano isn't an "accompaniment" but rather a very integral part of the music and has some wonderful stuff. Out of the total 8 movements of the two pieces, I can play one. Clarinet part's a real doozy too.

Another clarinet player friend of mine liked getting together to take turns accompanying each other. She played piano also, but we were both much better at clarinet, so we could never do anything with difficult accompaniments. :p
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 11:18 PM
    I know that I've done a lot of Brahms chamber works with clarinet in them. I don't remember if I've played for any of the clarinet sonatas. Its likely that I have, though. I hear things on the radio and think, "I know that I've played that, somewhere...".

I used to accompany a person who taught clarinet at Augustana College in Rock Island, IL. That was a long time ago... She is no longer there and has taken a position teaching band elswhere. I would play for all of her recitals. There would be solo works as well as chamber works at her recitals. I really miss doing that at Augustana!

I agree that the Brahms piano accompaniments are an integral part of the music. To me, an accompaniment is something that goes "boom-chick, boom-chick". Brahms piano music in any form, can and usually is difficult enough that a lot of people shy away from playing it.

Any chance of you staring a woodwind chamber group again?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 11:20 PM
    By-the-way, someone in Music asked about writing a ternary form composition. I've responded to them.

The same thing happened last year about this same time. I wonder if they have the same teacher?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 06:25 PM

I don't know a good many of the people I used to. I've kind of been really out of the loop. I had a hard enough time getting people to do things when I still knew them, let alone now that I don't. I can still get in touch with people, but some have moved or quit playing.

Then there's the fact that I never play myself anymore. It would take some work to get back up to where I was. I'm kind of stuck in that forcing myself to get started mode... (it's always tough to get back into something).

I also work a lot of evenings now when rehearsals would be. About the most I manage is getting to concerts occasionally, which also keeps me a bit in touch with people. I kind of miss doing pit for musicals, but I also don't want to get back into the theatre scene.

Well... I do play my piano sometimes. It's easy to sit down and play and not have to put anything together or mess with reeds. So at least I get a little of my "fix" that way.

So you do composing too? (I keep forgetting there's a music forum.) That's something I could never do. Though I did at one time want to try getting into arranging. I worked on some woodwind quartet stuff, and I also found it pretty easy to take some easy piano solos and turn them into clarinet solos w/accompaniment for my students. I also started learning trumpet and got familiar with brass family. (Got pretty decent at trumpet actually.) I was directed towards some books and was going to try to seriously learn more... but just like everything else, I never had time to keep up with it.

My problem is that I'm interested in far too many things, so I never have time to do everything. I tend to go through spells where I concentrate on a certain number of my hobbies, and then sort of switch over to a different set. Right now my hobbies include unclogging the upstairs bathtub, fixing the back porch door... :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thank you clough! [ 4 Answers ]

Clough- I received your answers to my last questions, Thank you very much it was very helpful! I just needed some help on how to word my ads? Again, I have a home and commercial cleaning business. Also, what is the product that will take soap scum off showers? Thank you and I look forward to...

For Clough [ 122 Answers ]

I am out of work and I want to take this opportunity to get my education. In this day and time you need both parties working in the household to make it. Right now we are barely surviving on his pay alone. I am seeking an online degree from CTU, because I am so tired of the endless dead-end jobs...

This is for Clough. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I use free internet advertising to start my commercial janitorial business? Clough, if your out there I could use your help. I've read some replies about using free internet advertising but not sure how to use it. Do I just post an ad about my business to all these free sites, keep them...

View more questions Search