Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Aug 21, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Change in Creatinine level from bad to better, or not?
    According to my last blood work, my creatinine level is 1.9
    The level was to a month ago.
    I know I have kidney disease but does this mean my Creatinine level of 1.9 instead of level 2 has improved or grown worse?
    I have been drinking lots of water since the level of 2 as I do tend not to hydrate but has the level IMPRORVED or not? Also, what is NORMAL level?
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 08:32 AM

l.7 is about normal for males. Each lab has its own variables. You are not far off the mark with l.9 but there is a lot more you have to do then just drink more water. You have to eliminate salt entirely for one thing as you have diminishing kidney function with kidney disease which does not allow the complete filtering process. There are two ways of testing creatinine levels, blood work and urine. Testing urine is the more accurate to detect how much creatinine has been discharged.

tick

Aug 22, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Sounds good. Thanks

Aug 22, 2009, 10:04 AM

Two questions: Elminating salt intake for kidney diesase is good, but I use a salt substitute because of Hypertension. Is that just as good?
    Is there a device, other than lab work, for personal testing urine elimination of creatinine... like something you can get at a drug store similar to the device for blood sugar?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 10:25 AM

There is no home testing kit for creatinine, sorry, we are stuck with doctor's orders. Salt sub is a double edged sword, its okay if you don't have kidney disease, good if you have high blood pressure, but I would suggest nothing and just go with mrs. dash to add flavour you are missing.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creatinine level [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 22 yr old woman. I have a serum creatinine level of 0.9 mg/dL. Is this normal? Also, how can I reduce my creatinine level?

High level creatinine [ 1 Answers ]

What type of diet recommended for people with high level creatinine?

My creatinine level has gone up from 1.1 to 1.3 [ 1 Answers ]

5 years ago, I had renal cell carcinoma. I have 1 Kidney now as 1 was removed due to renal cell carcinoma. Today I got my routine blood test done. Creatinine was until now 1.1 but it has become 1.3. The limit is 1.4 Further in my Hepatic Biochemical profile, my Albumin (in Total proteins) has...

View more questions Search