Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 12:59 PM
    What I need to do for my bunny?
    I thought I would get better help and more replies if I posted here.

What do you use for the bunnies to chew on to keep their teeth grinded down?

Or am I better off having her taken to the vet.

When can she be spayed? At what age anyway?

Oh and Alty if you come back and read this, I was told by this lady at a pet store that it was an english spot. What do you know about them?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2009, 01:29 PM

How to Care for Rabbits | The Humane Society of the United States

FAQ: Spaying and Neutering
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 10:44 AM

Sorry Adam, I didn't see this.

I already covered your question in the other thread, but to reiterate;

A rabbit can be fixed at 6 months of age.

Most pet stores have something for rabbits to gnaw on to keep their teeth ground down. Go to Walmart, you can get a combo salt lick and grinder set. Just keep an eye out, if you notice the rabbits teeth getting too long even with the grinder then it's time to talk to your vet.

English spots are known to be very friendly rabbits. Just remember one thing, just like, dogs, cats, any living thing, the "breed" usually just determines the look and size of the animal. Temperament, attitude, personality, that all differs depending on the rabbit and the owner, not the breed.

The more you handle the rabbit the more "tame" he/she will be.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 05:59 AM

Thank You Alty. I have my rabbit out of the cage more than she is in it. I like holding her and I give her, her own room to jump around and play in.

I went to a pet store on Friday and got this salt lick thing and something that I am not sure what it is but it looks like a hollow log and looks like one but it isn't. She can run through it and eat the whole thing too.

Anyway, Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 06:03 AM

My only thought would be when I had a pet rabbit and left it alone it discovered that electric cords are VERY tasty and proceeded to chew on them. I had to watch her like a hawk.

I don't know if all rabbits do this but she had to be watched carefully.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 06:06 AM

Very good point JudyKayTee, my old bunny used to have free run of the house and it killed all of mums tropical fish by chewing through the heater cable!

You can get special plastic covers for cable so they can't chew them, unfortunately I have never seen them in any pet stores but hopefully they are more widely available in the US.

I just block of my kitchen/dining when mine come out for a run, no cables there ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 06:19 AM

Well the bedroom I let my bunny roam around in is empty except for a futon and a computer desk with now computer. So she is safe. When I let her roam elsewhere I keep a close eye on her.

She likes to just hop around the bed sometimes and just sit there on the bed, so far no troubles but I would like to find those covers so she won't chew through any cords.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    Well the bedroom I let my bunny roam around in is empty except for a futon and a computer desk with now computer. So she is safe. when I let her roam elsewhere I keep a close eye on her.

She likes to just hop around the bed sometimes and just sit there on the bed, so far no troubles but I would like to find those covers so she won;t chew through any cords.

Thanks!
    You can buy plastic cord to go around the actual wires and covers to go over the outlets. In Canada you can buy them at most hardware stores, you just have to look around.

It's important, many rabbits die every year from chewing electrical cords.

That info is in my sticky, and lots of other info. :)

Also, the House rabbit society web page is an excellent source of info on bunnies. I trust them, they really know their stuff. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2009, 11:26 AM

Didn't mean to parrot you, Alty. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    You can buy plastic cord to go around the actual wires and covers to go over the outlets. In Canada you can buy them at most hardware stores, you just have to look around.

It's important, many rabbits die every year from chewing electrical cords.

That info is in my sticky, and lots of other info. :)

Also, the House rabbit society web page is an excellent source of info on bunnies. I trust them, they really know their stuff. :)
    Thanks Alty.

I kind of lived by your sticky. I printed it off my computer and read through it a couple of times and make sure I do things right. Thank You!
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Thanks Alty.

I kind of lived by your sticky. I printed it off my computer and read through it a couple of times and make sure I do things right. Thank You!
    No problem.

I'm here if you have any questions, so are many others. :)

I covered a lot in the sticky, but not all, so ask away.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:29 PM

Ok, Will do. Every time I think about the bunny, I think where is Alty when I need her.

Oh and it is a girl bunny by the way.
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Ok, Will do. Everytime I think about the bunny, I think where is Alty when I need her.

Oh and it is a girl bunny by the way.
    A little girl.

You definitely need to get her spayed when she's old enough. Female rabbits have a life expectancy of 3 years unspayed, up to 12 years spayed. Yup, big difference.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:54 PM

Oh hell yea that is a huge difference.

Poor sweety. I will definitely get her spayed in a couple months. Wait, how do I know how old she is? Can they tell me if I take her to the vet?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:56 PM

Out of curiosity, does your little bunny have a name?
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Oh hell yea that is a huge difference.

Poor sweety. I will definately get her spayed in a couple months. Wait, how do I know how old she is? can they tell me if I take her to the vet?
    She needs to be at least 6 months old in order to get spayed.

With the picture you sent me I'd guess she's anywhere between 6 and 8 weeks old, maybe more.

It's okay to wait until she's a bit older then 6 months, especially because she's female. The males will start to spray and become aggressive when they reach 6 months, females not so much.

The female rabbits main problem is cancer, if they aren't spayed.

If you wait 5 months you should be fine. Remember, most vets know nothing about rabbits, you'll need to find a vet that specializes in rabbits. Ask tons of questions. Make sure you ask how many spays they've done, the level of success, etc. etc.

One way to rule out a bad rabbit vet, ask if she needs to fast before the surgery. If the vet says yes, then he/she doesn't know rabbits. The reason for fasting in other animals is the risk of vomiting after or during the surgery. Rabbits don't vomit, they don't have a gag reflex, so there's no need for them to fast before surgery.

When she gets close to the age for spaying I'll try and help you find the right vet. :)

Okay, I'm rambling. :)
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Didn't mean to parrot you, Alty. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
    It is worth mentioning, and needed to be said. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Now, does Polly want a cracker? ;)
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 01:02 PM

Adam, do you mind if I post the picture you sent me of your little baby bunny?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Adam, do you mind if I post the picture you sent me of your little baby bunny?
    Post it Alty! =) I love bunnies. They're so cute. I keep wondering about getting one.

edit: with the OK from Adam of course. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want a bunny [ 10 Answers ]

I want a bunny I never told my mom I wanted a bunny yet I am scared of what she is going too say. I bet she is going to say you have too many animals I have 2 dogs 5 cats 2 ponies 6 chinkens 2 goats and one is going to have a baby next year:D 1 bird only 2 animals live in the house. I take care of...

What does BUNNY mean? [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Bunny, I do not know its meaning. Tell

Bunny behaviour [ 5 Answers ]

I have three neutered, well behaved rabbits whom I love dearly. They live outside in a shed which has been adapted for them, so they have plenty of room to explore and run around when I can't be there to watch them in the garden. I was wondering how I could tell which rabbit was dominant as all...

My bunny again. [ 5 Answers ]

So well... My rabbit is pulling out a lot of fur, and making a nest with it, SHE IS NOT PREGNANT, as she hasn't been around a male for at least 4 months. Im not worried about the whole nest thing, its about how much hair she is taking out! Half her cage is complete hair! Also I don't know if I...

Bunny won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a bunny at this fair yesterday. The lady that gave me her said that if she didn't get rid of her bunnys that she was going to kill them. So she gave me one now I have this animal I know anothing about want to learn more.. I have not noticed her eat or drink at all.. she was man handled...

View more questions Search