Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wishes Posts: 98, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2009, 06:42 AM
    getting a chipmunk
    I'm thiking of getting a chipmunk and read all about it and stuff. I've had loads of past and had a good relationship ( I loved them so much and so did they :D) but they all passed with old age anywayz do u have any tips how I can take better care of a chipmunk and any useful ideas. Thanks ^^
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 06:47 AM

I have never heard of having them as a pet but I did find an article that may be useful to you.
    Pet Chipmunks - How To Information | eHow.com

Aug 21, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I have never heard of having them as a pet but I did find an article that may be useful to you.
    Pet Chipmunks - How To Information | eHow.com
    yea we can but not everyone. It's the law or soemthing but for me it is legal :) thanks ^^
    hanginaround Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 06:57 AM

Oh wow! I think that is really cool, to be able to have a pet like that would be grate! I have never herd of them as pets before, but I am Australian, so the only time I have ever seen one was at a zoo :( are they an easy pet? Do they get tame?

Aug 21, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Yes they are but you can't catch it from the wild you have to buy it from a pet shop so it wontbe aggressive and stuff like that. I don't know if they are easy pets but I'm going to find out :D but I think they are because they're just like any rodent but they like to run around more and that I can provide.
    hanginaround Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 07:29 AM

That's sounds like so much fun! They are really cute! Well good luck
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Is that even legal? Here they are protected.

Aug 21, 2009, 07:34 AM

Yea it is legal I checked and stuff. I'm from malta and I asked the petshop and I also asked the pet protection services or watever they are
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 21, 2009, 08:33 PM

I would hate to take an animal such as a chipmunk and keep it in a cage.

They love to run, to play, to roam.

Do you have enough time and patience to make sure that this chipmunk gets the contact and exercise it needs?

There's a reason why most places won't let you own animals that are usually wild. It's because they aren't meant to be in captivity.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I really don't think this is a good idea. I'd get a hamster instead.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 03:37 AM

I had to spread the rep Alty but I agree.
    It's the same as Sugar Gliders, I can't stand seeing people keep them in cages

Just to add to your idea of a hamster, saw the coolest looking Guinea Pig in the pet store the other day...
    He looked a bit like this one but even fluffier!

Aug 22, 2009, 07:23 AM

I do have a lot of space and I'm not going to keep him in a cage :o that would be cruel. I've got a big garden all that I have to do is just fence it so he won't escape.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 10:07 AM

Fence with a roof I assume?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 10:11 AM

It would have to be completely covered like Sariss said or be made of metal or something equally as slippery.

It couldn't be painted either, those little critters can grip onto almost anything.
    Pets Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 12:52 PM

They also dig, so you'd have to have a base.

I still think this is a horrible idea. I doubt very much that you'll have the time to train and make sure this little critter is happy.

These are not domesticated animals, and there's a reason for that.

If you decide to do this then research is a must. Do not get any animal unless you are able and willing to give it the care it needs for it's entire life.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 2, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Instead of keeping a chipmunk as a pet, it is better to attract them to your yard. I have lots of chipmunks and squirrels coming to my backyard. I put out feeders with sunflower seeds and unsalted peanuts and they come and gather them all day. They are very cute and fun to watch. I also have hummingbirds, racoons, and groundhogs hanging around. I even saw two moose across the street a few years ago.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Sep 3, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    Instead of keeping a chipmunk as a pet, it is better to attract them to your yard. I have lots of chipmunks and squirrels coming to my backyard. I put out feeders with sunflower seeds and unsalted peanuts and they come and gather them all day. They are very cute and fun to watch. I also have hummingbirds, racoons, and groundhogs hanging around. I even saw two moose across the street a few years ago.
    This is really a much better idea. Please consider just attracting them to you and watching them in your yard.
    patboy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Comment on hanginaround's post
    Yes you can get them. If they are not available in australia just import them from another country or simply bring them with you from a trip! They are wonderful pets and easy to tame. If brought from a pet store they are already tamed!
    patboy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 06:25 PM
    The most important is a big cage. If they are 2 double the space. Never put a chipmunk with another animal. Even with other chipmunks unless they have come together as babies.
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 06:55 PM

Old thread. Closed.

Please check dates before posting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rid of chipmunk [ 4 Answers ]

There is a chipmunk that is in the yard that continues to live in my large outside potted plants. How can I get rid of him?

Song title of pizza hut advert - chipmunk-ey [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the title/singer/band to do with the song playing on the pizza hut advert with the flashing picture frames all about how long pizza hut's been around? Thank you!:D

View more questions Search