shilo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2003, 09:01 PM
    Reformating my hard drive 1/17/2003
    Hello,

I am running Windows 98.

I need to reformat my hard drive now.

I've tried everything...

My question is...

First, I have all my document now backed up on a cd rom.

Do I have to pack up anything else?

Are there any things I need to be very careful of when I reformat my drive.

I'm assuming that the hard drive will be wiped clean. Then I install my set up diskette and my CDRom for Windows 98 and then my Microsoft Suite Software and then my virus and other programs.

My technical store said I could try it myself. He said there is nothing that I could do to damage it... If I can't do it, they will do it for me.

Any help will be appreciated.

[email protected]

Thank you very very very much.
    Locii Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2003, 10:58 AM
    From the outline you gave in your question, you're going the right way. Before you re-format, though, make very, VERY sure that you've backed up everything from your hard drive that you can't afford to lose. Like you mention, after re-formating you've got a totally blank hard drive.

It's been awhile since I've had to re-format so I don't remember for sure, but I think your Win98 restore CD may do a surface scan, checking for bad sectors. Just to be on the safe side, once you're back up and running, use "scandisk" and set the option to check the drive surface.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2003, 10:54 AM
    The first step is to make sure you have installation disks for all your software including Windows and drivers disks for all your hardware. The next step is to make sure you have the Windows Startup floppy or a bootable floppy that will read your CD drive. You can make the floppy under Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. You also need FDISK and FORMAT on that floppy.

Once you are prepared you boot from the floppy and run FDISK and run SETUP from the CD. You may need to Format the drive first. In which case you run FORMAT C: /S from the floppy.
    marshallzulu Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2003, 10:29 AM
    Insert floppy that came with the Windows98 CD

Choose:
    1. Boot with CD support
    2. Enter Fdisk on the floppy
    3. Choose 3 to delete primary and any other partition
    4. Reboot and choose selection 1
    5. Let windows setup do its trick

If you can't do this, let someone that has more maxi do it for you.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2004, 09:55 AM
    There is a download available that explains the exact format/reinstall procedure on the "Products" page at the link below. Just click on PRODUCTS and select FORMAT AND RELOAD YOUR HARD DRIVE GUIDE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Used hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I put a used hard drive in my computer,and tried to install windows 98 it keeps saying that the drive is dirty and it needs cleaning,How do I do that?

Reformating my hard drive. Help Needed ASAP [ 20 Answers ]

Hello, I am running Windows 98. I need to reformat my hard drive now. I've tried everything... My question is...

Reformating hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to reformat my hard drive. When I type format c: I get bad command or file name response. What can I do?

View more questions Search