Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nororo7 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 12:59 PM

Thank you, yes that's what the dentist said they will become painful and the one of them he won't lose until he's 10 or so.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 01:00 PM

It will be OK... he won't remember anything!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 01:47 PM

I wasn't arguing for no treatment! I was assuming the alternative would be pulling the tooth. Mainly, I was just curious.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Also, since the teeth are baby teeth, what is the purpose of a crown, which seems like an expensive option for a tooth that will soon fall out anyway?
    If the problem is not addressed early then the child is more likely to have a host of other problems related to ignoring this. (Gum issues, misaligned teeth, and PAIN)

Plus at 2, the teeth won't really be falling out that soon so yes, the child needs dental care now. The child needs to keep the teeth (or have them crowned) in order to hold the spaces for when the time comes for permanent teeth to come in.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 02:07 PM

So, nororo7, did your 2 year old have juice bottles? I've heard that's a common cause of cavities in toddlers. Again, this isn't about blame. I'm interested to know more about how this happened.

One of my kids had a defect in the enamel on one tooth, but they both got fluoride and never had any actual cavities--they are 16 and 20. I had quite a few cavities when I was little (and no fluoride). It seems like it really works.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 02:42 PM

my son get floride treatment, brushes 2X a day sometimes more , rinses with floride rinse and flosses... he still gets cavities. Sometimes genetics plays a part.

Aug 22, 2009, 03:32 PM

He didn't really get juice bottles, but he breastfed until he was 18 months old and it was mostly at night. Also he is such a picky eater there for a long time I would make him several things to eat and he would always turn everything down but then maybe eat a honeybun or something, and I thought at least he is eating something, I think maybe that had some to do with it too, I now don't do that, I know when he gets hungry he will eat and the snacks I offer him are all healthy.
    I had wondered if he needed a fluoride supplement but his doctor had told me that our water had it in it so don't worry about it. When I was a child I had several cavities, so maybe it has something to do with that as well.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 06:36 PM

Nororo, the worst kind of snacks for kids are any kind of dried fruit like raisins. Parents tend to think raisins are health but they are deadly for the teeth as they stick in between and in the grooves of the teeth. Breads, crackers, cereals also stick to the teeth and the carbohydrates in them break down into sugars.

The best between meal snacks are fresh fruit and vegetables. Leave all the sticky foods for mealtime and then brush after eating.

Be careful with giving fluoride until you know your child is a really good spitter. You don't want them swallowing it as it can cause defects in their adult teeth when they come in.

Ask your dentist if you can have a tour of the sugery clinic before you take your son there so you can put your mind at ease.

Aug 22, 2009, 08:09 PM

Thank you everyone
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 08:44 PM

Let us know how it went!

Aug 23, 2009, 07:07 AM

They don't have him scheduled until November 4th at this point. I sure will though
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 07:15 AM

That is a very long time to wait!
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 07:32 AM

Definitely a long time to wait! Why so far off? Can they put you on a cancellation list to get in sooner?

Aug 23, 2009, 10:30 AM

They said that was her first available date at the surgery center, she was already booked the other days there. I know I thought that seemed a while as well
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 10:43 AM

Tell them you want to be called as soon as they have any cancelations

Aug 23, 2009, 11:43 AM

Yeah I will, Im going to call them this week with a few questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS response to FICA withheld for spouse (F1) last year & Filing jointly this year [ 4 Answers ]

Your Question Was: Dear Sir Madam I am a Resident alien for tax purposes for 2008. My wife is a Nonresident alien (F1 visa) for 2008. We have decided to take the choice of filing jointly and treat her as a Resident alien for tax purposes. Her FICA taxes were not withheld during 2008. In the IRS...

Do tongue rings cause cavities? [ 1 Answers ]

I got my tongue pierced about a week ago and I got a cavity. Is it because of my tongue piercing?

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Canine Cavities [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old Golden Retriever puppy.. and when he was teething during the last two months... some of his teeth we not loose enough to fall out on their own very easily... but eventually they fell out. One tooth in particular ( one of the upper canines ) did not fall out until it was almost...

View more questions Search