Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarterWilson61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Hole in bathtub
    Greetings All,

I am new at this. But here it goes... My husband and I are renting from a Realtor in Springfield Missouri. Our bathtub has acquired a crack in it due to age and it has been over 4 months now with many attempts to ask the Landlord to fix this crack and he has not. He did send a man to see the crack and estimate the job cost, but he was never seen or heard from again. The crack is MUCH bigger now and the only thing our landlord has told us is to get duct tape and tape it. We have done this and our tub is now unsafe for us to use it, since the hole is so big and we keep adding tape to the hole as it gets bigger. We have to go other places to shower now. Not to mention the mold and mildew smell we are getting from the tub floor under the hole. Thank you for your time.
    Respectfully, CarterWilson61
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 11:51 AM

I think possibly going to the tennancy board would be your best bet and asking if there is anything that you could do to get this looked after. Mold is a health hazard and its not right that he said he'd get it fixed.. I worked in an apartment complex as a do it all kind of worker.. I fixed plumbing, painted, cleaned... did anything and if we had a tub with rust, a hole, or a crack we ripped it right out and replaced it due to it could become a health or safety hazard
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Hello C:

You landlord is violating your rights... Specifically, the warranty of habitability. Essentially, it says that you are to be provided with a HABITABLE residence... NOT being able to take a shower, makes your home UN-inhabitable...

Write your landlord a letter. Tell him that he is in breech of your agreement. Cite the law, and tell him that you will be FORCED to move into a hotel and charge HIM while your home is UN-inhabitable... Tell him further, that he has 48 hours to respond or you will consider yourself constructivly evicted, and you'll sue him for the costs to move, plus all the rent you paid for an UN-inhabitable home.

Send your letter CERTIFIED, return receipt requested. Send another copy by regular mail and hand deliver another copy.. If he calls you, DOCUMENT the conversation with another certified letter outlining the conversation.

It's TIME to play hardball... Actually FOUR months ago was time...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a dirt sump pump hole safe, rather than a concrete hole? [ 3 Answers ]

We moved into our house in May and have been doing lots of updating. One thing has been bothering me, because I don't know any better... Our sump pump sits in a dirt hole about 3 feet in diameter under the concrete floor. Is this safe? Is this really dirty? I have noticed more bugs in this...

Small Hole in Bathtub [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a small hole on the bottom my Bathtub, about 6mm in Diameter. Does anyone know the best way, or products to use to repair it. The bath is about 8 yrs old. Thanks Rugpig

How do I repair a hole in a non-fiberglass bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quarter sized hole in a rental apartment that is leaking water. One (expensive) option is to pull out the bathtub & replace it and another option is to install a liner. Reading about liners, it seems that they are easily damaged resulting in a bigger headache. Is there a way to repair the...

Hole in bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

How do I repair a hole in a cast iron tub? The tub is new and when tile was being put on the wall,a piece fell and put a small hole in bottom of tub and knocked out some paint around hole.. please help! melonie

Removing bathtub spout - no hole [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have read the Q/A's on the site, but can't find an answer to this one. First, I have a Delta faucet. It looks like Delta Faucet T13422-SOS on the www.deltafaucet.com website. (There are a few more that look like this, but it has the diverter plug on the spout.) The difference is that...

View more questions Search