Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robnoxious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 10:42 AM
    1 Unit, 2 zones and a damper
    What are your thoughts on a single AC setup with a damper systems with 2 zones?

What are your thoughts on dampers?

Please reply ASAP.

Rob
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 10:58 AM

They work, but sometimes two systems are more economical.

A bypass damper generally has to be installed unless it is some Carrier systems which will vary fan speed based on static pressure.

Remember too,that you can use register dampers too. You can also do weird things such as what I've been planning to do. Put a register damper in the laundry room, but not make it part of the zoning system. It would just allow heat or ccol air in that rrom only if the system is on. It will not try to maintaiint he setpoint. Good for kitchens and laundry rooms.

I'm more in favor of two returns in the rooms that have returns to save energy. Upper returns are used in the summer and lower ones are opened in the winter.
    Robnoxious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    A bypass damper generally has to be installed unless it is some Carrier systems which will vary fan speed based on static pressure.
    This is a Ruud system.

Do you find that dampers often fail, break, need repair?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 11:20 AM

They generally are such a simple design. A motor and one or two limit switches. They can be spring to open, spring to close or open/close.

Normally closed dampers are adventagious for managing smoke. If a fire starts in one area of the house, then smoke won't spread though the heating ducts.

AC synchronous motors are very reliable. That motor type has been used in clocks for a long time.

Other systems are out there that use bladders.

Commercial systems use air motors. Even one of my cars used an vacuum actuator in the AC system to operate 1/2 of the outside air damper.

Remember too, the house has to support it. Inthehouse I'm living in, it would be somewhat difficult to zone as an up and downstairs, because of a dampers in the main duct for the downstairs.

There is one at the furnace that supplies a recreation room and another in the main duct for the same room and then one further down in another room which is a second kitchen. And then there is one in the bath downstairs, again on the main duct. The zoning systems usually are not that complex to handle this situation.

If you have a two story house with up and downstairs, then there is likely a duct that supplies the upstairs only.

Dampers don't come cheap.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Bypass dampers are a thing of the past. Fanhandler has a speed reducer that will slow the motor automatically.

Look under PRODUCTS
    Then to ZONEHANDLER

FanHandler.com

They do not sell retail but only sell to the approved trades person. There stuff works GREAT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire Damper [ 4 Answers ]

If we want to install Fire Damper in supply duct or in return duct... For which duct we have to design?. We know it has to be install in both the ducts... But in some cases we have to install one fier damper that is in supply or reurn duct?. If have any UL555 & ASHRAE BACK PAPERS...

Fire Damper [ 4 Answers ]

In HVAC Clean Room FIRE DAMPER will be installed in SUPPLY DUCT or in RETURN DUCT?

How do I replace the damper [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old jenson wood boiler, probably 20 + tears. Works great but the flu fell out of it. How do I find replacment parts.

View more questions Search