Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 12:01 AM
    Cough & Cold to my 6 month old child
    Hi,

My son is six month old. He is suffering from heavy cold. We can feel congestion in his chest. Is there any cure without medication. As such we donot want to give him heavy medication dose.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 12:10 AM

Take him into the bathroom and run the shower on hot so the bathroom gets real steamy. Stay there until you notice his breathing is better (15-20 minutes?).

Rub his chest with Vicks VapoRub and dress him in a flannel or cotton jammie suit (onesy?) i.e. keep his chest covered. If he has trouble breathing, rub a TINY smear of Vicks under his nose. Put a steam vaporizer in his room - follow the directions carefully.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 12:19 AM

Sometimes children do need medication !
    You are asking for problems when you are not willing to accept even the most minimal amounts of medication.
    A cold can turn in to a secondary infection ,and often medication is needed.
    If he is coughing he should be seen by a doctor. ASAP.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Take him into the bathroom and run the shower on hot so the bathroom gets real steamy. Stay there until you notice his breathing is better (15-20 mins?).

Rub his chest with Vicks VapoRub and dress him in a flannel or cotton jammie suit (onesy?) i.e., keep his chest covered. If he has trouble breathing, rub a TINY smear of Vicks under his nose. Put a steam vaporizer in his room - follow the directions carefully.
    I hate to disagree but some infections respond very poorly to steam,you need cool mist for some as heat can actually make certain bacteria grow. Also a child should never be bundled as you need to keep the temp down.
    Vicks has been known to actually cause more mucous and is not recommended.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 03:23 AM

artlady is correct. See your doctor, cool mist and no vicks. Why are you so willing to risk your child's life? Please do not use over the counter cold meds as they are not recommended for children who are that young,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 06:27 AM
    With the recent outbreak of the H1N1 virus, it would be wise for you to take your child to the doctor immediately.
    spb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I hate to disagree but some infections respond very poorly to steam,you need cool mist for some as heat can actually make certain bacteria grow. Also a child should never be bundled as you need to keep the temp down.
    Vicks has been known to actually cause more mucous and is not recommended.
    Thanks for your response. As such I am not using Vicks

Can you tell me what is cool mist.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spb View Post
    Thanks for your response. As such I am not using Vicks

Can you tell me what is cool mist.
    Here is a link describing a cool mist vaporizer.
    This article says steam or cool mist is acceptable but my pediatrician always recommended cool mist.
    What is a Cool Mist Vaporizer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month old baby has a stuffy nose and a cough [ 13 Answers ]

I have a month old baby. He has a stuffy nose and a cough. I took him to his doctor but the doctor says he's too young to take medicine. He has hard time sleeping, and I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions what to do?:(

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Receipy of cough syrup for my 6 month old baby [ 1 Answers ]

I have 6 month old baby girl she suffer from cold & cough from last 2 week

I have custody of my kids 1 month - do I have to pay child support for said month? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I live in separate states. In our divorce agreement, he gets custody of the kids 90% of the time and I do 10% of the time. This ends up being one month out of the summer that I get them. Am I obligated to pay him child support for this one month that I have them, and, if so, how...

5 month old child [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 5.5 months. My question is about the frequency of breastfeeding. My son eats every 3 hours from 6am to 9pm. (he eats a total of about 6 times in the day) He goes down for the night at 9pm & wakes at 6am. He does not eat during the night at all. I am wondering if this nursing every 3...

View more questions Search