Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrForensics Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 06:48 PM
    5 General Questions
    Hello, I have a science fair project on Forensic Science (the whole project is presented to judges in February but right now we are working a bit on in in science class) and we had a assignment to do a Mentor Interview which basically we ask questions to a expert on the topic.

Here are my 5 questions:

1. With the most modern and updated forensics, what is the
    Conviction rate (percent)?
    2. What is the most used tool for Forensics (be specific)?
    3. What is the tool that mostly ends up “cracking the case”?
    4. Is Forensic Science beyond just fingerprints and blood samples
    (as many people think)?
    5. How much did Forensic Science improve in the last 10 years?

Edit:

(Um... I think there is a misunderstanding here. The questions above aren't questions that I have to answer for homework. THe assignment is to ask the questions to a expert on the topic.)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Please read this in regards to homework.

If you want us to help you, we can. But you need to do most of the work yourself.

If you don't do it, you won't learn it.

So your project first yourself, and we can help you refine it.
    Expert

Oct 25, 2006, 02:45 PM
    However, we may be considered experts here, we may or may not have the credentials your instructor is looking for.

I am wondering if your instructor would rather have a face-to-face interview rather than one done over the internet where anyone can pretend to be an expert.

Oh, yeah, please be careful when disagreeing with someone, you could have cleared up this little faux pas with just another post rather than ruining peoples reputations.

Oct 26, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Oh, yeah, please be careful when disagreeing with someone, you could have cleared up this little faux pas with just another post rather than ruining peoples reputations.

I understand what your saying but if I just reposted it, you would just go into it and say it was homework. Anyway, I'm going to say one more time, it is an interview that can be in person, email, telephone or online like as site like this. So pardon me if I affected your repution but I was just clarifiying my question. So will you answer them now?
    Expert

Oct 26, 2006, 07:00 AM
    But I am not the kind of expert your instructor is looking for. At least not yet. I am still in school, if you have not read my qualifications.

I have posted my qualifications, however, my point was that on this site we do not have to be actual doctors, nurses, scientists and the like. We only really need to possess certain knowledge in our area of expertise. That knowledge may come with an education or it may only come with life experience.

So, as you can see, one cannot be sure of the level of expertise one will get over the internet.

I do not have the expertise to answer your questions. I am sorry, I really wish I could help.

And hey, I am not worried about my reputation in general, I was just trying to show how the rep system works. If you disagree with someone's opinion it hurts their rep. If you agree then it helps. But most of the time, when we do disagree, we just post it in an answer rather than using the "rate this answer" option.

Oct 26, 2006, 07:14 AM
    So thanks for the info,
    But is there a expert on Forensic Science on the site
    That could answer my questions?
    Expert

Oct 26, 2006, 07:17 AM
    I don't believe there is one who actually carries the title of Forensic Science Expert at this site.

Oct 27, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Do you have any suggestions where I could ask my 5 questions to a expert?
    Expert

Oct 27, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Maybe you could contact your local medical examiner.

Oct 27, 2006, 04:30 PM
    What do you mean specificly by medical examiner?
    Expert

Oct 27, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Coroner. The coroner in your city is the best one to ask.

He/she is the one who does the autopsies. All of your questions pertain to coroners who solve crimes by doing autopsies.

Oct 27, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Normally can these questions be done by email?
    medgen Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Nov 3, 2006, 12:43 PM
    I do happen to be a forensic scientist. As for the credentials, here goes: PhD in Biochemistry, Post-doctoral studies in Medical genetics. Two years as a practicing forensic scientist working in the area of body fluid analysis and DNA.

I work in Canada, so we do things slightly differently here -- cops 'collect' most of the evidence (i.e. they are the 'CSI's) while scientists do the examinations and all the forensic work in the lab.

So -- to your questions. Unfortunately they are a little vague, probably reflecting the lack of general understanding that the public has about forensics. I will still try to give you some answers that might help.

1. Almost impossible to say. Conviction rate depends on so much more than just the forensic evidence. As far as the percentage of cases submitted in which we find evidence that can/is used at trial, I would guess (and this is a very broad guess) ~ 50%.

2. Toxicology is probably the most utilized forensic field, although the 'techniques' used vary tremendously. As far as a single technique goes, I would say DNA analysis (specifically autosomal STR analysis).

3. Again very difficult to answer. If good DNA evidence is available then it is probably the most rock-solid evidence that can be obtained. As far as 'cracking' a case, I guess fingerprints and DNA searches of convicted offender indices, since these may give you someone where previously you had no suspect.

4. Yes. It includes all aspects of all sciences, just applied to the criminal justice system. Chemistry, electronics, engineering, biology, hair and fibre analysis, and much more!

5. The main leap in the past 10 years has probably been the advancement of DNA. In 1996 many labs were just beginning to do a form of DNA analysis that has now been superseded by a far better approach. A great deal of work and research has gone into DNA analysis and the statistics associated with DNA 'matches', in addition to the generation of DNA databases (crime scene and convicted offender) making this the strong science it is now.

Hope this helps.

Nov 5, 2006, 05:58 PM
    Thank you so much medgen.

You answered them all perfectly and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, I'm from Canada too. :)

Nov 5, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Actually the questions are completely fine because my science fair project is a
    Study&Display on Forensic Science in general and my goal is to prove to my audience that Forensic Science is much more than just DNA and blood samples (which is the lack of general understand of Forensic Science).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General reading [ 1 Answers ]

Could I get a general reading please?

General Question [ 7 Answers ]

I was baptized Luthern. I would like to start going to church again, but am uncomfortable going back to church. My husband probably won't join me and I am tired of waiting for him to go with me. I am uncomfortable, because I tried one time before and didn't feel like I became a part of the...

General reading [ 2 Answers ]

:D DOB 10/20/1961 Can I get a general reading?Please

View more questions Search