Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovelovelove7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
    13 year old Dating an 18 year old.
    Ok so I'm 13 and I am dating an 18 year old, we both have strong feelings for each other and I just want to know if its illegal to be dating, we Aren't going to have sex so I don't want your opinions I just want to know if its illegal for us to date and hang out!
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2009, 04:19 PM

Most likely not, since there is no legal definition of "date".
    However, it also could depend on where you live.

You don't want opinions, but too bad, it's a free country.
    You are too young to know what love is, and you are only going to get used by this guy. If he really liked you, he wouldn't make you worry about the legal issues. Instead, he'd just wait until you turn 18. But then, a 23 year old and an 18 year old is still sick, just not as much.
    I recommend waiting. I guarantee that you won't still like him by the time you turn 18. Focus on school, and not on a guy who is going to use you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 04:21 PM

A 13 year old can see and hang out with an 18 yr old BUT what happens when you two get to the point that your feelings are so strong that you 'just have to have sex'?
    That is a 5 yr difference and depending on what state you live in it may not be legal for you to have sex for as much as five more years. Definitely not before you turn 16.
    Its best not to get all 'falling in love head over heels' with him at your age.
    lovelovelove7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 04:22 PM

I live in virginia by the way
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 04:26 PM

Virginia's age of consent is 18

Just so you know.
    Hopefully you won't go getting yourself into anything you shouldn't

Edit: Other sites said 15 but more said 18
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 19, 2009, 06:11 PM

How do your parents/guardians feel about the relationship? That is what really counts. It could be illegal and your parents could consent or not. You may want to discuss this with them.
    Wrightwoodd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Somehow some way... ASK DAD!
    prettylove123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 09:26 PM

okay this is what I say, look dudes dating someone older than you is not at all bad and is NOT illegal. Unless of course you guys get into something else , if you know what I mean! So No its not illegal ( this freak reaserched it ) and don't worry about it =-)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2009, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by prettylove123 View Post
    okay this is what i say, look dudes dating someone older than you is not at all bad and is NOT illegal. Unless of course you guys get into something else , if you know what i mean! so No its not illegal ( this freak reaserched it ) and dnt worry about it =-)
    Spoken like a young teenager who is too immature to understand the facts of life.

You are correct that its not illegal to date, but the previous answers have already said that. You are also correct that "dating someone older is not at all bad". But there is a caveat there. It depends on what the ages are. A 25 yr old dating a 30 yr old is not bad in the least. But a 5 yr gap when one of them is still a minor can be a VERY big deal. Adolescence is a very difficult time. The adolescent is going through many different experiences then someone already through that phase. Those differences can be huge in a relationship. An 18 yr old is unlikely to be interested in a 13 yr old barely out of playing with her Barbies. They will have almost nothing in common. So the greater likelihood is that the 18 yr old has some issues or is out for sex. The 13 yr old is more likely to be so impressed that an 18 yr old is interested in her, that she will mistake her feelings. Feelings she is too young and immature to process.

While you are entitled to your opinion, we pride ourselves on the quality of the advice given here. And advising a 13 yr old to engage in a romantic relationship with an 18 yr old is just plain bad advice. The odds of any such relationship lasting are very long. The odds of the 13 yr old being exploited are great.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 06:26 PM

Id like to add that it may turn into something illegal very quickly no matter how innocent it may seem to be. The 18y/o could be guilty of contributing to delinquincy of a minor very easily. Its NEVER a good mix.
    mfuna Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Dear Love:

I haven'theard anything about it being an illegal problem based on your ages, but I would check the law in your state. Should it go beyond than just your relationship, meaning SEX then it is known as date rape.

M~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

17 year old dating 14 year old what to do? [ 16 Answers ]

OK so I'm a 17 year old male turing 18 in three months and I'm dating a 14 year old freshmen girl turning 15 in 2 months, I was wondering weather an intimate relationship is out of the questions? For example kissing, holding hands the works I understand the age of consent in Washington is 16 and ia...

Is illegal if a 15 year old and a 21 year old are dating but they never had sex? [ 6 Answers ]

Is illegal to a 15 year old and 21 year ols are dating but they don't have sex

I am dating a man that has an 8 year old kid [ 16 Answers ]

About a month ago I met a man and we began dating. He told me from the start he had an 8 year old girl from a previous marriage. The first week was amazing because for some reason his child was at his mother's house all week and we spent every night that week together, dining, going to the...

A 14 Year old Dating A 19 Year Old [ 4 Answers ]

I'm wondering I know someone that is 14 and is in love with a 19 year old if its not a sexual relationship are they able to date in B.C laws? Basically I'm wondering is it illeagal so have a sexual relationship or a regualer relationship or what the info you can give me

View more questions Search