Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debfeb0203 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Electric heat
    I recently moved to a home with electric heat. I am not familiar with it. Is the air from the registers suppose to be more cool than warm, it is not cold but cool

Debbi
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 06:17 AM
    It should not be "cool" but electric heat does not put out the hot air that gas heat does.
    One thing you might check, though: If your furnace has more than one heating element, then one of them could be bad.

Here's an overview of how to test the element(s):
    http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/electricfurnace.html
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Oct 25, 2006, 06:31 AM
    You didn't mention what type of electric heat that you have. Is it a heat pump? The air from the registers from a heat pump is only a few degrees warmer than than the already in the room, and since it's moving, it feels even cooler. But this is normal for a heat pump. If you are used to some other kind of heating, like forced-air gas, the air from the heat pump will feel much cooler by comparison.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 06:43 AM
    To clarify: The above is certainly true about the air coming out if you have a heat pump.

You still, though, have heating elements making the heat... so if you have more than one heating element and not all of them are working, then the air coming out will not be as hot as it should be.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Oct 25, 2006, 07:51 AM
    My first experience with a heat pump was during my college days, when I rented a townhouse (which BTW RickJ, was in Columbus OH). On the first cold night, I turned the heat on and was sure that it wasn't working because all I felt was cool air from the registers. So I called my landlord and woke him up to tell him that the heat wasn't working. He told me that this was the way that heat pumps work and that it was normal. I was quite skeptical but he insisted. He was right, the apartment stayed warm all night.

As it gets colder outside, the heat pump gets less efficient and eventually is not able to keep up, so the system has electric resistance coils that come on. My system had two sets of coils, one that was called auxiliary heat, and the other, emergency heat. The thermostat had lights to indicate when they were on. When the coils were on, the air from the system definitely felt warmer (and my electric bill got larger :eek: ). In my experience, the auxiliary coils would start to come on when the outside temperature dipped below the low 20's and the emergency heat only came on once or twice when it was below zero.
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Go Bucks!

Anyway, you are right. Heat pumps should not be installed in places like the midwest. All they do is run for nothing - wasting electricity - when it's below 20-25 degrees or so.

Heat pumps are meant for places like out west where the winter weather gets to the 30s or 40s in the evenings.

When it's below 20-25 degrees outside, we tell our tenants who have heat pumps to switch the thermostat to AUX or EMERG HEAT so that the heat pump is bypassed altogether.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Properly set up, when the outdoor ambient temperature falls below a set temperature the low amient switch automatically shuts off the heat pump and turns on the emergancy heat. This is called restricted mode. These new 13 and 14 seer heat pumps are very efficient, even in the midwest. Maytag has a 24 seer heat pump coming out in the spring of 2007 they say will still produce cheap heat down to 20 degrees. Even if a heat pump has only an 8 degree rise it is cheaper than resistance heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Electric Baseboard Heat ?'s [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have electric baseboard heat in our home, and each room is controlled separately. And this may sound dumb... do I need to have the heat set at a certain minimum temperature for the winter? (we live in MN) Also, is it more cost efficient for me keep them in each room on at a...

Mears Electric Heat Thermostats [ 1 Answers ]

We have moved into another house with electric heat. The thermostats are 220v double break by mears. When turning on the thermostats in each room, none of them indicate the true temperature according to the knob setting. When they click, that is the current temperature in the room. All are...

Baseboard electric heat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands/style of baseboard heaters? Have looked at hydrosil, they claim to be efficient but are higher priced units. Are the fluid/gel filled units that much more efficient than the cheaper units? Thanks

Convert gas heat to electric [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me the pros and cons of converting our gas heat to electric. We just moved to TN and are astounded that the gas man comes every four weeks and fills the tank and our house is COLD all the time anyway!! We are thinking that electric heat would be more proficient and cost...

View more questions Search