Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bawath Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Dear Sir,

I am new to US and under J2, I got my first Salary (Monthly - 7000). It deducted 30%+ taxes. Is it correct? Are there any difference to treat J2 or is it same as
    H1?

Thanks,
    Bawath
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Bawath:

Off-hand, that sounds about right. You owe a FLAT 4.2% for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare.

You are at least in the 15% federal tax bracket. It will be higher in 2013 because of your $84,000 annual salary.

Your state tax rate depends on the state, plus there may be local income taxes.
    aquarianheart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Hi

I moved to US in July 2012 with H1b visa.

Do I need to file the tax and I will considered as resident alien or Non resident alien.
    Do Non resident alien have different tax brackets, exemption?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 6, 2012, 04:03 AM
    The lynchpin to how you file is your marital status.

Are you married?

Nov 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
    Dear Sir,

I am J2 Visa Holder and monthly salary is 7000. Please let me know, how much I have to pay for tax as a percentage.

Thanks,
    Urban
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 13, 2012, 06:42 AM
    Urban:

Are you married? Children?

Nov 15, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Yes Married , But no children.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 06:13 AM
    If you are J-2, then your spouse is a J-1.

You will file as a non-resident alien, filing Forms 1040NR. Form 8843 is NOT required of you.

You will pay FICA (Social Security at 4.2% for the rest of 2012 and 6.2% for 2013 and beyond and Medicare at 1.45%), plus state and federal income taxes.

At $7,000 per months, your tax liability will be $16,872 for 2012.
    badal1443 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 10:41 AM
    I shall be going with my wife(on h4) to US in February 2013, Can you guys let me know what amount I will get as take home if my salary would be 62400$ per annum?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
    The FICA rates of 6.2% for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare are flat tax rates, withheld from each paycheck.

You will be in the 15% marginal tax bracket, so your federal tax liability will be about $5,500. I cannot say about the state without know WHERE you are living and working.
    epastor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 02:03 PM
    Hi guys, I'll be going to work to California in a couple of months and I'm trying to figure out a ballpark of the taxes I'll have to pay. I'll go with an H1B, I'm married guy and I have one kind (9 years old), annual salary is $120k

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 08:10 PM
    You will be in the 25% marginal tax bracket.

Based on 2012 tax rates, your federal tyax liability will be about $16,000, while California will be $5,250.

Mar 4, 2013, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    You will be in the 25% marginal tax bracket.

Based on 2012 tax rates, your federal tyax liability will be about $16,000, while California will be $5,250.
    Thank you so much for your quick response, the email notification went directly to my spam folder and I hadn't realized someone answered my question already.

I was just notified a couple of days ago that I'll be on a TN visa rather than an H1B, does that change anything?

Thanks again!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2013, 10:01 PM
    No, not really, as the TN visa is also considered to be a work visa.

Mar 5, 2013, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    No, not really, as the TN visa is also considered to be a work visa.
    Great, thank you very much!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 10:51 AM
    Glad to help!
    theta32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
    Hi,

I received an offer to move to Louisiana on an H1B visa and I'm trying to calculate my taxes online while negotiating the offer. I'll be traveling with my wife and no children, and my wife doesn't work. I'm negotiating an annual salary between $100k to $120k.

My understanding is that I would be filling as a non-resident alien since I don't have a green card and I wouldn't qualify for passing the substantial presence test.

I found mixed information on whether I can file as married and claim more than 1 withholding allowance, or if I have to file as single since I'm a non resident alien. Can you please explain to me which form do I need to file, whether I can claim allowances for my wife or not, and the percentage of federal tax, state tax, medicare and social security I would have to pay in Louisiana as a non-resident alien on an H1B visa?

Thanks!
    John
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2013, 04:58 PM
    Actually, you probably WILL file as a residnet alien, because you will file jointly with your wife. Since she does NOT work, that is the MOST advantageous way to file.

If you are married, you can claim MARRIED with TWO allowances on the Form W-4.

Expect to pay about $17,500 in federal income taxes and $3,750 in Louisianan state taxes. The Social Security tax is 6.2% and the Medicare tax is 1.45%, plat percentages taken out of each paycheck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

G4 visa holders exemption taxes [ 3 Answers ]

What kind of taxes is a G4 visa holder exemption of? And how can that holder ask for return them?

FICA taxes for F1 visa holders [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm on F-1 visa for more than 5 years. This past year I was on OPT (employed at a university--teaching job) and this was my last year on F-1 visa. Beginning in July I will be on H-1B visa. I've been charged FICA taxes throughout the year while on OPT. Should I be paying these taxes while...

Taxes Return for B1/B2 Visa Holders [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I was a B1/B2 visa for the last three years and meet the substantial presence test if you take into account the last three years. I have always stayed in the U.S. for around 25 days at a time but never more and I visit the US every other month as I am employed overseas with a Thai based...

Taxes for H1B Visa Holders [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to understand my tax implications when I go to the US on an H1B Visa, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4 Visa). I have read quite a lot of stuff on the IRS website but am a bit conused about some points. These are mentioned below: 1. What is a tax year by US...

Taxes for J1 visa holders in Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hi, This is my 2nd year doing research like a postdoc from chile in Massachusetts. For my maintenance I do receive fellowship payments from an international foundation. Last year I paid both federal and state taxes but now I've heard that j1 visa holders don't need to pay taxes for the first 2...

View more questions Search