Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 03:19 AM

Poor bunnies.. now I could see them being used for meat since they have so much of it.. but personally I can't bring myself to eat a bunny
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 03:30 AM

Too cute to eat!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 03:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    It is true Artsy.

Rabbits teeth grow constantly. You can buy stones (sand mixture) that they gnaw, it helps.

If they don't have something to help grind their teeth then a trip to the vet is necessary, they'll clip them or grind them down.

It's very important, as it can cause problems. Long teeth makes it hard for a bunny to eat.
    Thanks! I was wondering if that was maybe why there was a little nipping going on,like,help my teeth are growing.Thats cool about the stone. Thanks hon!
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 04:57 AM

You can get stones for chinchillas to chew on too but I find they are more content with wood. When I had my rabbits I didn't know about the stones and I used to just take them into the vets twice a month to be sure they didn't need filing down
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thanks Alty!
    I'm really happy now!

Over 2 years and that's the first time she's licked me, weird little bunny.
    Mind you since she was spayed she has been a much easier bunny to get along with!
    More affectionate, no more destroying her cage (that's the babies job now :rolleyes: ) still doesn't really like the babies but I'll work on it once they are spayed, just leaving them separate for now.

EDIT - Post number 3,000 yay for me :)
    Is it true than in Australia you are over run by bunnies?
    And Roos as well?
    Are you in winter when I in NY am in summer?
    I love that I have an Aussie mate :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 08:17 AM

Not sure about australia but I do know that in argentina its winter where here it is summer and that it's the same time there as it is here in nova scotia..

Is there still a huge long fence running across part of austraila to keep the roo's out?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Is it true than in Australia you are over run by bunnies?
    And Roos as well?
    Are you in winter when I in NY am in summer?
    I love that I have an Aussie mate :)
    Hehe yup, bunnies everywhere!
    Roos aren't too much of a problem, they aren't endangered either though.

One of the biggest problems is Koalas! :eek: It's crazy in some places, they eat all the eucalyptus trees and then starve because there is no food left.
    Another one is Camels... they are a huge pest.

And yup, it's winter, sitting in front of a toasty fire right now :D
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 06:13 PM

Koalas!

You are so lucky.

Camels? Um, don't know what to say about that.

From what I remember reading, bunnies aren't native to Australia, some jerk imported them and because there are no natural predators they overtook the place.

But still. Bunnies and Koalas and camels, oh my. :)
    Pets Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 09:10 PM

I have to add.

Although I won't eat rabbits, refuse to, can't do it, they're pets, not food. The rabbits that the german farmer (the pic I posted) raises, are being used to feed the starving, so I really can't say too much about it.

Those rabbits are huge. He's importing some and teaching how to breed so that starving families won't go hungry.

Darnit. I'd love to hate him, but I can't. :(
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2009, 01:13 AM

Aww, it's a good and a bad thing at once.
    You can't be too angry at him because he's doing it for a good reason but even if I was starving, my bunnies wouldn't be on the menu!
    (Tempting as it is sometimes :p )

Yeah bunnies aren't native, so they introduced calesi (sp?) virus and myxomatosis, something one of my old bunnies died from :(
    They introduced the viruses but NOT the vaccines GRRRRRRR
    Pets Expert

Aug 21, 2009, 11:33 AM

I'd rather eat my toe then one of my babies. Never going to happen.

But, there are people that do this for a living, and don't see these wonderful animals as anything but food.

My grandparents raised rabbits for food, it was hard.

Hmmmm, Kilala is a stinker, maybe a threat will work. ;)
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 12:27 PM

Hey, I don't mean to take over this thread but I have a question.

What do you use for the bunnies to chew on to keep their teeth grinded down?

Or am I better off having her taken to the vet.

When can she be spayed? At what age anyway?

Oh and Alty if you come back and read this, I was told by this lady at a pet store that it was an english spot. What do you know about them?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Koalas!?

You are so lucky.

Camels? Um, don't know what to say about that.

From what I remember reading, bunnies aren't native to Australia, some jerk imported them and because there are no natural predators they overtook the place.

But still. Bunnies and Koalas and camels, oh my. :)
    Just found the thread. :o

Camels : Do not annoy them, or they'll spit on you, they can spit far... VERY FAR! If you did, then run as fast as you can, zigzaging while running is better. ;)

Oh, you have koalas Shazzy! Such cuties! I know they however are lazy and greedy, lol!
    Pets Expert

Aug 21, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    Hey, I don't mean to take over this thread but I have a question.

What do you use for the bunnies to chew on to keep their teeth grinded down?

Or am I better off having her taken to the vet.

When can she be spayed? At what age anyway?

Oh and Alty if you come back and read this, I was told by this lady at a pet store that it was an english spot. What do you know about them?
    English spots and rexs are similar, but to be sure, I'd have to see her full grown. I still think she's a rex, but she's young. She could be an english spot, but, in my experience, pet stores don't know jack. ;)

She can be spayed at six months. Be careful when choosing a vet, rabbits are considered exotic animals and most vets don't know how to properly and safely do a spay or neuter on a rabbit.

Shop around, ask lots of questions.

As for the teeth, you can buy a combo salt lick and chew stone in most pet stores. They sell them at Walmart too. They're round, and connect to a metal hook that loops around the cage and through the stone.

Also, wood is good, but make sure it's not treated for anything.

Here's a few pics, one of an english spot, one of a rex. :)

Attachment 23728

Attachment 23729

So tell me, which one is which? ;)
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 01:14 PM
    English spots and rexs are similar, but to be sure, I'd have to see her full grown. I still think she's a rex, but she's young. She could be an english spot, but, in my experience, pet stores don't know jack. ;)

She can be spayed at six months. Be careful when choosing a vet, rabbits are considered exotic animals and most vets don't know how to properly and safely do a spay or neuter on a rabbit.

Shop around, ask lots of questions.

As for the teeth, you can buy a combo salt lick and chew stone in most pet stores. They sell them at Walmart too. They're round, and connect to a metal hook that loops around the cage and through the stone.

Also, wood is good, but make sure it's not treated for anything.

Here's a few pics, one of an english spot, one of a rex. :)

Attachment 23728

Attachment 23729

So tell me, which one is which? ;)

I can't tell you which is which.

I was mad when that woman was telling me what it was. She seemed like one of those ladies who thought she knew everything but I don't think she does.

What is the difference in the two?
    Pets Expert

Aug 21, 2009, 01:44 PM

The English spot has longer thinner ears and the spots are smaller.

They are fun loving happy rabbits, very good temperament. They usually weigh around 5 - 8 pounds full grown so the same as a rex. They're an old breed but but not that easy to find.

Rex's are known for their fur, their fur is extremely soft. They come in many colors but the most common is the white with black sots. They are a very common rabbit in pet stores and for breeding because of their gentle nature.

Here's a picture of my rex, Oreo, you can see the dewlap.

Attachment 23731

They are a full bodied rabbit, usually with a dewlap (a pocket of fat under the chin) which is common in the females of the species.

Both breeds are very similar and it may be hard to determine what breed you actually have, but I should be able to tell once he/she is full grown.

Right now, with the picture you sent, it's a bit hard to determine but my gut says Rex. :)
    Pets Expert

Aug 21, 2009, 01:45 PM

Oh, the other pictures I posted.

The top one is the English spot, the bottom is a Rex. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 03:49 AM

Hmmmm well Dora has a dewlap, but I think hers is just there because she is a tad overweight :o

For their teeth I buy these grain block things...
    They are like a block of mixed grains with dried vegetables and fruits held together with an edible adhesive.
    They are really hard and great for keeping their teeth down, I've never had to have a bunnies teeth cut with those.
    Pets Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Hmmmm well Dora has a dewlap, but I think hers is just there because she is a tad overweight :o

For their teeth I buy these grain block things...
    They are like a block of mixed grains with dried vegetables and fruits held together with an edible adhesive.
    They are really hard and great for keeping their teeth down, I've never had to have a bunnies teeth cut with those.
    There are other breeds with a dewlap Shazzy, it's just one of the differences between a rex and a English spot, sadly only in the females though, so Adam may still have some trouble determining what breed his bunny is.

The breed doesn't really make that much of a difference, especially between a Rex and English spot. They have very similar personalities, growth and dietary needs, so it really won't change anything. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 09:10 AM

Ooooh OK so she may not be as fat as I think.

The vet never said anything about her being fat when she went in but that was a while ago now so I don't know haha

I have a question for you too Alty, I know you haven't had lops before but do you have any idea when their ears should drop?

All the other lops I've had their ears dropped at around 3 months... the babies would be about 5 months old now and Rikku has 1 ear up and 1 ear down and Lulus are both up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten nipping [ 3 Answers ]

Our little kitten, has a nasty habit of nipping, he gets a piece of skin in between those two little fangs of his, it really hurts and he just can't seem to get it into his head that it is not allowed, he bites hard enough he breaks the skin, he'll chew on you like a hambone you give him the...

Rabbit Nipping me.friendly? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a beautiful little rabbit who is nearly full grown (not sure how old she is) She is extremely friendly and when we go outside to pick her up she runs to the side of the cage and puts her paws on the side waiting until we pick her up. She grooms me while I am holding her and is an overall...

Puppy nipping other dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 week old puppy of course is teething and nipping when playing. But I get nervous when he's playing with other dogs and is jumping and play nipping at them. The other dogs will start to growl etc... What do I do? Should I pick him up and stop him or let the other dog tell him no. (The dogs I...

Licking pup [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy is a litte over a year old. It's a yorkshire terrior and he licks the floors and the doors.. and also he bites on the doors... does anyone no why?

View more questions Search