Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtmarketing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 02:30 AM
    bars pressure = what?
    We work for a coffee brand which uses 15 bars of pressure. For an event we are doing we are creating a mechanism that shows the consumer just how much 15 bars of pressure is.

However, we need to know how hard 15 bars of pressure actually is in order to simulate the feeling.

It’s a lever which is pulled downwards and the harder its pulled the more lights are lit up 1 – 15, we would like the machine to represent the pressure required i.e. 1 bar = 1 bar lit up.

To explain the pressure measurements to the client we would like to know what the equivalent of 15 bars of pressure would be in lamest terms. Such as 15 bar = 1 elephant leaning on the lever or could a small child could get to 15 bars easily?

I have tried to research online, although can't find anything other than scientific equivalents.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 06:33 AM

I'm thinking. It's about 218 PSI (pounds/sqin) or 15 atmospheres.

It's about 1.5 lbs/sqin over a 12" x 12" plate with a 218 lb man standing on it.

Note: Wrong answer above. 218 lbs/sq in * 144 sq in/sq ft is much bigger than 1.5. I divided rather than multiplied. That's why you should always include units.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 19, 2009, 11:26 AM

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I'm thinking. It's about 218 PSI (pounds/sqin) or 15 atmospheres.

It's about 1.5 lbs/sqin over a 12" x 12" plate with a 218 lb man standing on it.
    You're off by a factor of 144 - I believe you have confused pounds per square inch with pounds per square foot. 15 bars is indeed 15 atmospheres, which is about 218 pounds per square inch. So if you have a 1 square foot plate (12" x 12") you would need a weight of 218 * 144 = 31,400 pounds in order to get 218 PSI.

Dmarketing - you aren't going to be abe to simulate this directly on your customer without causing injury! I suggest instead of using a lever that applies pressure you simply use a humorous illustration. Using KISS's 1 square footplate idea, and given that an elephant typically weighs about 8 tons, you could make up a cartoon of 2 elephants balancing themselves on a 1 square foot plate.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 04:00 PM

Sure enough, my units don't work out. Yours do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground vs neutral bus bars [ 4 Answers ]

I have a breaker panel (not a main panel with disconnect) which has two bus bars on each side, mounted on plastic insulating brackets, and which are connected together via a metal strap. The original electrician had connected the ground wires to one, the neutral wires to the other withouth...

No scroll bars on 800 x 600 resolution. [ 3 Answers ]

Helpdesk, The site I need help with is located at : Avalon :: Where evenings come true... It looks perfect in resolutions above 1024x768 but when I look at the site in a resolution of 800x600 the site is chopped off and I can't scroll left to see the navigation. Does anyone know how to...

Strut Bars - What to look for [ 2 Answers ]

I was looking at purchasing a strut bar for my vehicle - a Honda Civic. I've seen many options and prices. I've seen some low priced $22.00 strut bars from no-name companies, claiming they use lightweight aircraft quality materials to strut bars well in excess of $200 - $300 that use aluminum,...

Air gap around sleeved copper bus bars [ 1 Answers ]

How much should be the minimum air gap between copper bus bars and the nearby contactor

Kashi bars [ 4 Answers ]

Are the kashi bars good for you. On commercials they say they are but I don't completely believe that. I have tried it before and they are not bad but they just have about 200 calories in one "roll". That's what they call it but its like a bar. Anyone whose tried it or know about it help/

View more questions Search