Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pimp_mah_alpaka Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
    Acceptance In Society
    As an art major I need to know what you do to be accepted into everday society. Whether it's at work, school or community in a whole..
    What do you do to be accepted?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 11:33 PM

What do you mean by accepted? Are you talking about your art, or you? Your art will never be accepted by EVERYONE. There will always be those who love it, and those who hate it. Actually there will probably be both people who love you and people who don't love you so much too. My cousin's an art major. He's just himself. He's honest, and kind. Helpful, creative, and is always there when you need a hug. He doesn't need to do anything special to be accepted. My advice to anyone, art major or not, is just be yourself. You can't please everyone anyway.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 11:44 PM

You're the one who brought up the art major. You didn't say anything about makeup and weight. My advice still stands, be yourself. But here's some new advice about your attitude. Don't be rude. And read the rules, reddies are for factually incorrect advice. Not because you didn't like the answer you got.

Aug 18, 2009, 11:50 PM

I'm not being rude.. and I expect that to be your last reply to my question. I don't need someone coming on telling me to be myself- I have that one figured out.
    How is it hard to understand that all I need to know is what you do to be accepted in society?
    If you don't completely understand my question then don't reply in the first place.
    You understood my question when I replied to yours, so you could have answered it instead of telling me about rules and reddies. If I disagree I disagree, your answer didn't help. Don't reply
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 11:55 PM

Another thing you can't do- dictate who does and does not answer questions. I thought you were looking for advice. That's the thing people seem to come here for most commonly. Now that I understand you're actually wanting to know what other people to, well, I'm myself. I don't try to be any certain way. I'm happy with my weight, I'm not fat or skinny. As for makeup, I usually like to wear at least a little. But if I don't feel like it, then I don't. I don't go out of my way to try and be accepted. People can either love me for who I am or not.

Aug 19, 2009, 12:03 AM

No your not helping- I'm looking for advice from people who understand my questions. I'm being as nice as I can without harassing you, because I do get angry easily.

OKAY
    My major is based on the acceptance of society. As the fashion scene grows so does the inspiration from teenage boys and girls. What I want to portray in my major is that acceptance is becoming more and more difficult to achieve. For eg- people at my school get teased because they choose to wear fake converses, instead of real all stars.
    Basically the theme for our major is 'reaction to our environment'
    I want people to see that being accepted into society doesn't mean following other people, but to (as you are saying) be yourself.

So if you don't do even the slightest thing to try and get 'accepted', can you at least help me. Do you know anyone who goes to the extreme just to be accepted?
    Thank
    You
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2009, 12:13 AM

Now that's what you should have started with. Yes, I know people who go to the extreme. Girl's who have developed eating disorders trying to be as skinny as the models in their magazines. I used to hang out with this one girl who had to dress "scene" because "all the kids at her school did." she would wear the most ridiculous things but she thought they were cool because her other friends thought they were cool. And I haven't always just been myself. I went through a phase where hair and makeup were an absolute must. And it didn't matter how uncomfortable that strapless top was, or that my strapless bra was uncomfortable with it and I could hardly breath it was so tight because it looked cute. I've got friends who won't take off their shorts at the beach because their thighs aren't perfect like the airbrushed models in the magazines. So they cover it up. Like if no on knows their legs aren't perfect, if they can't see the "flaws" maybe people will think they aren't there.
    Does that answer your question now? I think I finally really understand it. I hope

Aug 19, 2009, 12:15 AM

Yes thank you for helping
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 12:24 AM
    Hello, pimp_mah_alpaka and justcurious55!

This thread appears to have gotten off on the wrong footing for some reason with "mud-slinging" going on.

Please act civilly to anyone who posts on this thread. That isn't pointed at anyone in particular. Also, please don't use "reddies" to merely respond to questions. This is about art, and the nature of the original questions dictates that there would be more opinions than facts to be considered. The rating system is to be used for that which concerns factual information and not just opinions.

If things continue to go downhill, then I will delete the thread. I intend to be doing some cleaning up on it anyway to be giving things a "frest start".

Thank you, kindly!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 04:06 PM

I think from a very early age acceptance is always an issue.

When your very young, it's the latest toy, are you having a big birthday party, can I come to your house and play,if the answers are no then usually children will not play and your left alone.

As you grow, it's are you pretty enough to hang out in our group, I do not want to hang around with you, if you don't have a nice place to live and you don't allow me to come round etc.

When the teenage years hit,it's a whole new ball game, are you wearing the latest gear, if not then you can't come out with us, we won't get a boyfriend if your with us etc.

A young adult has to cope with getting a good job, flash car, fab place to live, fancy gear etc.

This goes on through out life... posh house, expensive holodays and so on.

I have known people steal to fit in with a gang that they want to be excepted into, they don't want to, but they have to prove themselves.

Girls shave the sides of their heads because it's the latest craze, then have tatoos which they really don't like , but again their group all have one.

People get into lots of debt using credit cards, just to drive around the block in the latest motor,showing off to their friends... they are the man of the moment.

People hate the way they look, even though they look fine.
    They will have plastic surgery... nose, eyelids, facelifts, tummy tucks, because it's the in thing to do.

Throughout society people feel the need to be the same as each other for fear of being cast out.

Very rarely does one person do something differently, if they do and they are accepted then that's fine, if they are not then they are made fun of.. cast out.

I knew some one once who had been very badly burned in a fire, hardly any facial features survived, only his eyes looked reasonably normal. I remember my boss forwarning me before I met him, just in case I re-acted badly.
    This man refused to shut himself away or have facial surgery to replace his face,however his personality shone through I made a point of just looking at his eyes, which I have to say was very difficult, but he was a fantastic person and I am glad we met, unfortunately people stood and stared constantly... sadly anyone who is different in our society will be treated the same.

I hope this helps you a little bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acceptance as lesbian [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live here in ireland the last 6 years but have yet to find out why I am not accept with my own people here(lesbians ie). I find it very frustrating to search friends, but other than a conversation where I am from, what brings me here etc. there is no other offer of social events or contact....

Is this Acceptance? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all of you guys Now its been 4 months healing from an almost 3 year relationship finished From a betrayal that she did to me.these are some sympthoms of my healing process. It should be acceptance.there is no other way I think.you judge guys.:D 1.I am starting to see things in a...

How do you get over someone you love? Acceptance? [ 2 Answers ]

Well now that I know I must give her space... How do I get over her, I need tips, help, anything that works.. because she is on my mind, no she is my mind... How do I forget about her?

Asset Acceptance Collections [ 8 Answers ]

Help! I am trying to get a mortgage on a house (first time buyer!) I have settled all my collection accounts on my credit except this one with Asset Acceptance, now the strange thing about this is bought my debt back in 2003. The original credit was First Consumers National Bank, they sold all this...

Avoidance vs. Acceptance [ 3 Answers ]

So I had a bad day today in school today. With my teachers doing virtually nothing the day before February vacation, I found myself with a lot of free time doing a lot of negative thinking. I had my first period class with my ex and I saw that he had written his plans with his girlfriend for the...

View more questions Search