Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollyenm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
    How can I keep abusive and drug dealer father away from baby?
    Hi I am 21 years old and I have a 7 month old girl and a wonderful boyfriend that loves her with all his heart. The only problem is that she is not his daughter. I was 3 months pregnant and left in a huge mess from my ex that left me pregnant broke and scared for my life and the growing baby inside me. He was selling drugs out of my house and he hit me a few times and threatened mine and my unborn child's life. I finally got away from him and turned him in but all the charges were dropped for the domestic assault I had filed. He is currently in prison for drug activity. He has been in and out of jail his whole life. I am scared of my daughters life when he gets out. I have talked to a lawyer but he says I would need to be married but my boyfriend loves my daughter as his own and wants to adopt her. Does anyone have any advice? Please I desperately need some advice. The father has been in prison since I was 4 months pregnant but gets out in 4 months but is supposed to go to 6 months rehab after that. Will I be able to get him an involuntary sign over his rights?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 11:01 PM

When he gets out, don't let him near your daughter without going through court (assuming he wants to be part of her life. Just throwing it out there since it is his right). Based on his past, you should have as solid argument for him getting nothing more than supervised visits. If he doesn't want anything to do with your daughter and continues to threaten you, make sure you get a restraining order.
    I believe the lawyer was right. Other than making way for an adoption your ex can't just sign over his rights. But you would have to marry your boyfriend for that to happen.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2009, 11:18 PM

If you browsed through this forum, you would have seen many threads with situations similar to yours.

First, you have little chance to force a termination of his rights. Once you are married for a while and your husband files for adoption, you MIGHT be able to get a TPR if you can show he is a danger to the child.

But since the domestic assault charges were dropped, it will be much harder to show this. You will probably be able to use his criminal record to force only supervised visitation if he applies for visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-con father abusive [ 3 Answers ]

My Dad is 74 years old, in and out of prison most of his life and I opened my home to him about 4 years ago. I built an apartment in the back of my property for him because living with him was very draining because he is verbally abusive. My sister and brother don't care about him except for his...

Drug Dealer Boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

One of my best friends has just started to go out with a real low-life. How much information about his drug dealing would I need to get him into trouble (as serious as possible) with the police? At the moment I have only second hand information, not enough I think to cause him any trouble....

Abusive father [ 3 Answers ]

I have had one of the most terrible childhoods you can ever imagine. My father used to abuse us verbally with such language that it's hard to imagine. But he abuses my mom the most.The worst part is I have been able to support myself since college and have gotten away from him but my mom still...

Abusive baby father threatens to take me to court should I get a restraining order? [ 9 Answers ]

My baby father has an alcohol problem and can not stay sober one day. I live with my parents. He is not on the birth certificate and we are not married. He will not come to my parents house to see our daughter (which is where I live with her). He never asks to see her he always asks to see me so I...

Abusive father. [ 3 Answers ]

Abusive dad? My mom died 4 months ago and I am very upset,and so is my dad but I'm finding it impossible to live with him he is extremely short tempered like I walked the wrong way to the car today and he was saying we may as well pack it in if your as silly to do things like that and he shouts at...

View more questions Search