Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Drasul Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Standard Deviation & Coefficient of Variation
    Hi,

Please explain Standard Deviation and Coefficient of Variation in finance.

Thank you,
    David
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Aug 19, 2009, 04:41 AM
    There's no mechanical or definitional difference in SD and CoV as used in finance, vs anywhere else.

Their applications in finance are for purposes of risk analysis, usually in terms of measuring the volatility of returns and / or asset prices.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 11:15 PM

I wondered... I know what they mean from a purely statistical point of view but wasn't absolutely sure they were applied the same way in finance, so I kept my mouth shut. :-) Something else good to know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coefficient of variation [ 1 Answers ]

Having ENPV, standard deviation, worst and best possible outcome and probability of occurrence - how you find the coefficient of variation? The formula is the expected return divided on the standard deviation. But how to find the expected return in this case? Can you help me please!

Standard Deviation [ 2 Answers ]

The weights ( in pounds) of a sample of five boxes being sent by UPS are :12,6,7,3, and 10. Compute the standard deviation. I'm not quite sure where to start with this problem What formula do I use for this problem?

Standard Deviation [ 3 Answers ]

The question reads, What is the standard deviation for the sample data below: 154,216,171,188,229,203,184,173,181,147 Round the answer to the nearest tenth. I have done this several times but my answer keeps coming up wrong. Can anyone explain this to me>?

View more questions Search