Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbsheeran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Who is responsible for tax lien place on car in a divorce?
    My friend is divorced and owns one of the cars per the divorce decree. She is trying to sell the car and learned that there is a tax lien on the car title for unpaid taxes that the ex husband hasn't paid. Does she have to pay the taxes to clear the lien? Or can the lien be removed since the ex husband owes the taxes but the car isn't his per the divorce? Thank you.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
    My guess would be that the taxes would have to be paid before the lien can be removed. She should be able to do this from the proceeds of the sale (provided she can get at least the amount of the unpaid taxes in question for the car.) Either way, regardless of who "owes" the taxes, they've got to be satisfied before the lien can be removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to place a lien on a home [ 2 Answers ]

My sister owes me $7000 which is a large sum for me. Can I place a lien on her home to guarantee that I will eventually get my money back. How would I go about doing this?

How do I place a lien on a property? [ 2 Answers ]

The Tittle Company will not close the sale because the legal ownership cannot be establised. The house will be abandoned. I am the executor of the Will. I have invested a large amount of money maintaining the property. How do I place a lien on the property to recover my money?

Who is responsible for Mortgage in Divorce [ 3 Answers ]

I have been separated for 3 years and remain in the family home with my 2 daughters. My husband does give me money, at dissomaster rate, but I pay for all the housing expenses, mortgage, property taxes, insurance, maintenance and equity credit line. He have just decided to give me $800 less a...

Should I place a lien on property [ 4 Answers ]

My Dad passed away in 2003, without a will, me and my brother and sister are aon the warranty deed, I went to get a copy of all that. My step mom has not talked to u s in over a year. Now she has it up for sale and didn't say anything to us about it. Should we place a lien on the property or is...

Divorce who is responsible for the car payment [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was married before and before there divorce they had bought a car together. My husband has been making the car payments for about 3 years now which she drives around with and I looked at the divorce decree and there is no mention of the car payment it just says that either party is...

View more questions Search