Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garrulous Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Low fuel pressure
    I checked the fuel pressure on a mid '90s GM LT1 and it's about 15 PSI. It should be around 45 PSI I believe. What could cause that? Failing fuel pump? Obstructed fuel filter? I'm baffled.

Aug 18, 2009, 11:07 AM
    TX Grease Monkey
    Okay TX Grease Monkey. You say that electric fuel pumps "rarely go bad" on GM.

Is that so?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 11:10 AM
    That's true on almost any brand. I would replace the fuel filter first. In over 3 years on this desk, I'm not aware of a fuel pump being the cause of any problem, even though many people have replaced them needlessly. In my own life, I've never seen an electrical fuel pump fail. I have seen mechanical fuel pumps fail, however.

Usually, the problem is a fuse, ground, relay, ECM, or ignition switch that prevents the fuel pump from working.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 03:21 PM

Uhm, I hate to admit it, but GM has had significant fuel pump failures that were related to the supplier of those pumps. That failure rate was, at the time, higher than most competitor's for the same class vehicles. Bad for GM. That problem was mostly taken care of on subsequent models.
    That being said, little else other than a faulty fuel pump can contribute to low fuel pressure, other that a gross leak: either the fuel line is leaking, or one or more fuel injectors are leaking.
    Both of those failures would be quickly noticeable.

Aug 20, 2009, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    Uhm, I hate to admit it, but GM has had significant fuel pump failures that were related to the supplier of those pumps. That failure rate was, at the time, higher than most competitor's for the same class vehicles. Bad for GM. That problem was mostly taken care of on subsequent models.
    That being said, little else other than a faulty fuel pump can contribute to low fuel pressure, other that a gross leak: either the fuel line is leaking, or one or more fuel injectors are leaking.
    Both of those failures would be quickly noticable.
    As it turns out several things can contribute. Vacuum loss affecting the pressure regulator being just one of them. A plugged 'sock' at the pump is another. But probably not from 45 PSI to 15 PSI.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 21, 2009, 09:11 PM

Vacuum loss would likely cause fuel pressure to default to maximum.
    A "plugged" fuel sock?? Is that what you found?
    If so, replace it then repeat the tests.
    Otherwise, have you thoroughly inspected the fuel system for kinked lines or other possible damage? No apparent leaks, etc?

Aug 22, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Replaced the pump today. Runs fine now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the fuel pressure? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1995 cadilac eldorado northstar engine, I would like to know what is the operating fuel pressure. Thank you.

Fuel injecter or fuel pressure regulator ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 gmc sonoma (zr2 package) with a 4.3 motor (engine code W). I sometimes have problems getting it started, when the motor is warm it starts without any problem, but when it is cold I have a hard time getting it started, if I put gas or starting fluid down the throttle body it starts...

91 honda crx no fuel pressure [ 1 Answers ]

91 hond crx. No fuel pressure at the input line to the fuel filter. Did not find a fuel pump fuse or relay. Is there one and if so what is its location, Thanks for your answere.

Fuel pressure regulator [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1996 GMC sonoma, (4.3, Engine code W) How much of a project is it to change out the fuel pressure regulator ? Do I need to remove the intake manifold to get to it ?

View more questions Search