Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ariana123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 10:23 PM
    Worried about choking on alternative meds, the pills are so big!
    I have recently seen a naturopathic doctor regarding a face problem, he has prescribed various vitamins, tea and fish oils. I'm finding these pills to be way too big, I'm scared every time I have to take one! I don't know if I'm overreacting, Ive taken them several times now and I'm fine but Im always worried about choking on one. Is this possible?
    Thanks in advance for the responses.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 17, 2009, 10:27 PM

It can be possible but it might just be that you are scared. My sister is the same way. Is it a tablette? You can cut it into two pieces before swallowing. My mom used to do it for me when I was little.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 11:02 PM

If you buy smaller mgs the pills will be smaller but then you would have to take more

Like if you buy 30 mg instead of 60 mg and the serving says one tablet for the 60 you would take 2 of the 30.

You can buy pill splitters for tablets.
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Aug 17, 2009, 11:12 PM

You could also get the herbs in liquid form, but that would mean you'd have to measure each dosage yourself very carefully.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 12:09 AM
    Or you can take them sublingually ((let dissolve under tongue)). Which is what I do most of the time because of a gag reflex. Tastes horrible, but it works.
    britEl Posts: 244, Reputation: 35

Aug 18, 2009, 12:31 AM

You could see if they make your medication in a liquid form (might taste reallly gross)
    Cut them in half (if possible)
    Chew them
    Ariana123 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the help. I tried some of the advice today. I cut one of the tablets into a powder and drank it with water. The fish oils I dissolved in water and drank and the last one I opened and drank with water. I found it to be much easier, the bad taste is less painful for me than swallowing them!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 01:08 AM
    HI there, I actually read something in Woman's World magazine today that might help you. And this is word-for-word:

"Simply take a few deeps breathes to relax tense throat muscles, then place the medicine at the tip of your tongue. Sip a mouthful of water and, instead of leaning your head back, tilt it forward toward your chest. The pill will rise to the top of the water toward the back of the tongue, and wash down easily."
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 27, 2009, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    Or you can take them sublingually ((let dissolve under tongue)). Which is what I do most of the time because of a gag reflex. Tastes horrible, but it works.
    Not a good idea. Sublingual hits the blood stream VERY fast and may cause unwanted reactions since most of these are meant to dissolve over time.

This could be very dangerous advice depending on the medication.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Type of meds 2 help kick pain meds. [ 5 Answers ]

I was told there are medications to help kick pain pill addiction. PLEASE if anyone knows the names of them whether meds or a supplement let me know.

Puppie vomiting and choking [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my cocker spaniel puppie for 2 days and since we got him home, he has been sick 3 times and keeps vomiting. He keeps crying! He is eating and drinking fine and doesn't have diahorea. I am really worried about him, please can you help me?

Choking Daschund [ 2 Answers ]

My miniature daschund has been having trouble with choking for about a month now. When she eats she starts shaking and choking on food and a really thick clear mucus. I have had her to 2 vets and neither one gave me an answer. One vet did blood tests and said they came out perfect. So this just...

Choking in Miami [ 2 Answers ]

Dear wise men or women, Every time my two daughters take a shower in their bathroom up the line from my bathroom,mine is last on the line next to septic line, the toilet in my bathroom starts to bubble up,quickly rise, sometimes overflowing. With all this action comes a strong sewer gas smell. We...

Worried about heartworm meds. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone - I have three dachshunds which I monthly give Sentinel heartworm treatment pills. My problem is that I am almost a month behind on their treatment because my vet will not authorize the prescription until she has now tested all three for heartworm - an idea that would have been...

View more questions Search