Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Apr 25, 2012, 08:33 PM
    Well the good news is that it does run.

Is the float in correctly? It's not hanging up? Make sure the needle valve is in position, the seat could be bad too.

The tab on the float may be bent too. Usually the setting is about 1/4". With the carb upside down you'd insert a 1/4" drill bit and adjust the tab on the float so that it just lightly touches the bit.
    Jennings3 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by medic-dan View Post
    Well the good news is that it does run.

Is the float in correctly? It's not hanging up? Make sure the needle valve is in position, the seat could be bad too.

The tab on the float may be bent too. Usually the setting is about 1/4". With the carb upside down you'd insert a 1/4" drill bit and adjust the tab on the float so that it just lightly touches the bit.
    On the other end of the float needle is a pin that was stuck. I took it out and cleaned it and it sprung back out. Restarted and ran a few seconds until it it flooded and leaked gas out the carb.

Float appears to be in correctly. Did not hang while it was disassembled.

Needle valve seems in position per: http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lmt_carb.asp

How can I tell if needle valve seat is bad?

Did not see any adjustable tab on float. I don't understand the drill bit routine.

Do you have any other ideas? Thanks
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Jul 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
    On earlier model carbs there was a brass float with a metal tab you could bend to position the float needle properly. So there was a certain level in the float bowl. Looking again at the B&S page, I don't see any tab on that float.

A leaky needle valve is probably not the issue. Gas coming out the carb indicates the float needle isn't seating properly/damaged.

Make sure the needle moves freely and easily.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where is the spark plug on my Powermate Generator? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Powermate Proforce PM0102500 gas generator but the manual doesn't show me where I can find the spark plug to see if it's connected or not ! HELP !:mad:

Spark Plug for Coleman/B&S 8 hp Generator [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend who does not have access to the Internet. He has an 8 hp Coleman generator with a Briggs & Stratton engine. 54 series. Model #514000. S/N - 66693910. V 120/240. Amps - 33.3/16.7. Hz - 60. He'd like to purchase an extra spark plug but no...

17 HP enginge has weak spark plug fire [ 3 Answers ]

Does the B@S 17.0 HP engine have a condenser and pts or the electronic ingnition system bought the mower used with no manual. Spark plug has very weak fire. Any thoughts. Thanks

Black soot on the spark plug,is it the plug. [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower plug has black soot on it, what could be the cause of the plug fouling out? It is a 6.0 B&S motor, also is there a certain gap for the plug and if so what is it? This problem just recently came up after 3 years of use and I don't understand what happen.:confused:

Craftsman 16.5 not receiving fire to spark plug [ 2 Answers ]

We have changed the fuel filter,the air filter,and the spark plug on our riding mower,but it will not fire off.After I changed the air filter ,it ran for 1 hour,and hasn't started since.We checked the fuse,it was good.What should we try next?The engine will turn over,but it will not start.Any help...

View more questions Search