Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PWH1 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 05:08 PM
    New AC Unit - cannot reach desired temp
    Hello -

Last Thursday I had a brand new Amana furnace (GMV95070) and Central AC (GSX13030) installed in my home. The unit replaced was all Lenox and approximatley 20 years of age. The problem is with the new AC unit... The old supposidly inefficent AC unit had absolutley no issue getting my home to the desired temp. We would commonly set it at 72 degrees and depending on the outside temp/humidity the house would reach the set temp within a resonalbe timeframe.

The issue - the new AC unit has not been able to reach and maintain a temp of 72 degrees at all since its install. Only once over the wee hours of this past Saturday morning did the temp reach 72 and then by 10 am the unit kicked on and has been running non stop since. In fact the unit has only shut off once since last Thursday!

The tech came back out today and bumpped up the fan and added additional freon. Well here we are with the house still at 75 degrees and this thing keeps running with no movement of the 75 degree temp downward. Last night the temp went as high as 76 degrees in the house. I am extremley frustrated considering the cost and the fact this thing doesn't have the balls to cool my approx 1,600 sqft cape to 72 degrees.

Lastly, the tech indicated that with the temps in the low 90's (Buffalo area) and the humidity very high that the unit will run more. Thanks for the insight there... I have all new windows in my home and its well insulated. The old Lenox unit never struggled like this thing is to reach set temp. God, I can hardly wait to seem my electric bill...

Is this unit capable of cooling my modest sized home?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 06:44 PM
    You have a 2 1/2 ton ac unit with 1,600 sq ft of space to cool. Just a guess but a 3 ton unit might have done a better job but I do not like to guess.

What was the size of your old Lennox unit?
    Did the contractor do a manual J to be sure of the proper size for your house since without doing a manual J NO ONE can be sure it is the correct size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating turns itself off before reaching desired temp [ 9 Answers ]

Background: I have an older Trane furnace (manufactured 8/1994) made by American Furnace Inc. (The Trane Company, Trenton, NJ) model TUJ080A936A0. The module controller is by White-Rodgers Emerson Electric Co. Model 50A52-101. There is no gas pilot light. Problem: Recently, my gas valve will...

A/C won't shut off once desired temp is reached [ 5 Answers ]

I recently changed out my old mercury thermostat to a Honeywell RTH3100C digital non-programmable thermostat. The issue I'm having is that once the desired temperature is reached on the thermostat the a/c won't shut off. What could be the issue?:(

AC gooes off before reaching desired temp, [ 4 Answers ]

My AC units will shut off before the temp reaches the set temp. I thought is was my thermostat so I replaced it. No change. Example. Temp is reading 80. I set temp for 76. The AC goes on. The thermostat (LuxPro) has a blinking indicater when the unit is blowing. The AC stays on for a few...

Cycling on-off before desired temp is reached [ 2 Answers ]

GMP100-3 gas furnace: The furnace runs for 3-5 minutes then shuts itself off for 2-3 minutes then repeats the start- stop cycle. I turned the thermostat up but it still acts the same. Any tips would be appreciate

Electric furnace won't kick off at desired temp [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electric furnace that is approx. 15 years old. It will work fine, until about 2:00am, then it will not kick off. I have checked the thermostat, & it is kicking back like it is supposed to, but the furnace continues to run. I had this problem, very sporadic last year. Now it is happening...

View more questions Search