Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Opinion on spaghetti
    It's my husband (Glen) birthday week and he wants Spaghetti on Friday for dinner. 9 adults and 2 children.

His idea of spaghetti is a meat Bolognese sauce wirh actual 'Spaghetti' noodles. I'm going to make it his way since it is his birthday and all but...

Does anyone else have a problem with this? I have always known and made Ragu (meat sauce) with a flat noodle like tageatelle (sp?) 1/3" or even a long fusilli, kind of like a telephone cord (not like the short one used in salads) they have always soaked up the sauce and the meat would cling to it like it should.

I'm thinking that the regular spaghetti, everything is just going to fall off and everyone is going to get a fork full of noodles.

If anyone has any suggestions of what I could sub (that he won't notice) and still work good, please let me know. I already attempted to suggest Linguini. It didn't fly.:rolleyes:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 04:52 PM

I have a problem with sauce sticking to the spaghetti too and I LOVE spaghetti

Three things are
    Do not put anything except maybe some salt in the water for the noodles.
    Do not rinse, better brands shouldn't be starchy where they need rinsed anyway.
    Drain for 10 to 15 minutes

My old cajun chef and three of my Italian friends do it this way
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Thanks, I never rinse, the sauce sticks better.
    Do you think spaghetti or spaghetini might be best? I'm not sure for picking up the meat sauce, since I can't use what I should.:rolleyes:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 05:07 PM

I don't know I only like the thicker spaghetti noodles. I hate thin spaghetti and angel hair and any noodles that look thinner
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Aug 17, 2009, 09:55 PM

You're right about the sauce falling off. But, if that's how he likes it...

Anyway, another trick is to add some pasta water to your sauce when heating it up. It will add a level of starch that helps the sauce cling.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 17, 2009, 10:05 PM

You can try adding a bit of olive oil to the water while the pasta is cooking. It makes it more slippery but not greasy.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 17, 2009, 10:07 PM

Oops. I thought you wanted the sauce to not cling. Never mind!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blue plastic book like toy. Phrase maker. In my spaghetti [ 2 Answers ]

Looking to find the name of a toy that looked like a book it was blue Buttons to push to make silly sentences... on that I remember is in my spaghetti. Does anyone know what this was called and who made it.

In need of your opinion [ 27 Answers ]

So here is the thing. I really like this guy that I have been knowing a good while. He knows how I feel about him and all that stuff. But the only thing is that he doesn't want a relationship right now, in which I respect that. He hasn't said that he don't like me he just doesn't want a...

Need some opinion [ 10 Answers ]

Hm... I'm not sure whether I posted this in the right place. But I would like to ask, is integrated graphic better for 3D games or is discrete graphic better?

Flying Spaghetti Monster [ 11 Answers ]

Pasta monster gets academic attention Flying Spaghetti Monster gets laughs but also raises serious questions Pasta monster gets academic attention - Technology & science - MSNBC.com When some of the world's leading religious scholars gather in San Diego this weekend, pasta will be on the...

Spaghetti anyone. [ 2 Answers ]

A wealthy man was having an affair with an Italian woman for several Years. One night, during one of their rendezvous, she confided in him that she Was pregnant. Not wanting to ruin his reputation or his marriage, he paid her a large Sum of money if she would go to Italy to secretly have the...

View more questions Search