Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duckboy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Mutually exclusive
    22. A study by the National Park Service revealed that 50 percent of vacationers going to the
    Rocky Mountain region visit Yellowstone Park, 40 percent visit the Tetons, and 35 percent
    visit both.
    a. What is the probability a vacationer will visit at least one of these attractions?
    c. Are the events mutually exclusive? Explain.
    duckboy1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
    statistic probablility
    A local bank reports that 80 percent of its customers maintain a checking account, 60 percent have a savings account, and 50 percent have both. If a customer is chosen at random, what is the probability the customer has either a checking or a savings account? What is the probability the customer does not have either a checking or a savings account?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 17, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to copy your homework to AMHD.
    Please refer to this announcement: Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by duckboy1 View Post
    A local bank reports that 80 percent of its customers maintain a checking account, 60 percent have a savings account, and 50 percent have both. If a customer is chosen at random, what is the probability the customer has either a checking or a savings account? What is the probability the customer does not have either a checking or a savings account?
    I will show you how to do this one, then you can use that knowledge to do the first OK? It is the same type of problem.

The probability they have a checking OR a savings can be solved by using the formula:

Just fill in your 'givens'.

The probability they have none can be found by subtracting the above solution from 1.

Also, here is a Venn diagram. By adding up the entries in each you should arrive at the same solution as with the formula.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mutually exclusive [ 8 Answers ]

The events X and Y are mutually exclusive. Suppose P(X) _ .05 and P(Y) _ .02. What is the probability of either X or Y occurring? What is the probability that neither X nor Y will happen?

Mutually hate people? [ 14 Answers ]

What is the rule about dealing with people your significant other hates? For example, for my job I go to this one place everyday. At this place is a girl that my GF hates. They were best friends for a while but some drama started. Sometimes she will say hello and I'll say hello back. I say...

Commercial Mutually Agreed Upon Breaking of Lease [ 8 Answers ]

We have a tenant with a commercial lease through August 2011. We were about to sign a lease for space in a neighbor's building, but decided to ask our tenant first if she had ever considered getting out of her lease early. She averages 16 days late on her rent payment and makes remarks leading us...

Mutually exclusive and not mutually exclusive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I had to submit my homework online and one of the questions were... Is it mutually exclusive if you were to roll a die and get a number greater than 3, and get a number less than 3? I put it was not mutually exclusive. I got it wrong though. I thought events were mutually...

Are faith and logic mutually exclusive? [ 7 Answers ]

Why do some insist that reason and faith are mutually exclusive while simultaneously pointing to creation itself as evidence of God's existence?

View more questions Search