Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Got an interview
    Hi everyone,

Well, it's time for me to get back to work. I applied for a job the other day, just got a call for an interview.

I'm very nervous.

It's been 10 years since I've been in the work place. Over 10 years since I've gone to an interview.

I have no idea what to expect, what's changed since the last time I did this.

They want three references. Do they just want the names, addresses, phone numbers, or a letter of reference? Letters are going to be hard, I haven't worked in 10 years, calling my old employer up for a reference isn't going to be easy, if it's even possible.

Scared here. My stomach is doing flip flops.

I have until Thursday.

Gulp.

Any tips?
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:15 PM

Okay, listen now... first thing, keep the sex talk to a minimum... K?:D:D:rolleyes::eek:

Stringer
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
    If in doubt LIE

Remember Post It Notes, well YOU invented them ;)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:16 PM

For references I'm pretty sure they only want names/address/phone numbers/how you know the person. It's sort of usual (?) to ask for personal references AND also business references.

If you haven't worked in 10 years it's not unreasonable not to have current business references.

I'd explain that at the interview -

As you know, I've been dating and, trust me, it's like one long job interview. Hope that made you smile.

Alty, I would do anything to be where you are at this time in your life. I hope you know that.
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:17 PM

Lie?

No sex talk?

That's all you boys have for me? ;)

First, the interviewer is a woman, so, sex talk, not going to happen.

Second, I'm really bad at lying, I suck at it.

Ahhhhh!

Really, I'm terrified.

OMG! I have nothing to wear! :eek:

What if I don't get it?

What if I do get it?

I'm going to suck my thumb.
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    For references I'm pretty sure they only want names/address/phone numbers/how you know the person. It's sort of usual (?) to ask for personal references AND also business references.

If you haven't worked in 10 years it's not unreasonable not to have current business references.

I'd explain that at the interview -

As you know, I've been dating and, trust me, it's like one long job interview. Hope that made you smile.

Alty, I would do anything to be where you are at this time in your life. I hope you know that.
    Thanks Judy.

This isn't a career, it's just a seasonal job. It would start in October, end in March, then, if they like me I'll be asked back in October.

The thing is, the salary is great, so it would be like working a full time job all year. The months I'd be working, also great, because I could be home with the kids in the summer.

My neighbor told me about this job, she interviewed with them last week.

I'm over qualified for this position, still, I'm 38, I haven't worked in 10 years. I'm so darn scared.
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:21 PM

Posture (sit up straight-pay attention), smile (but not too much), look interested (but not wide eyed silly), short answers to their questions (unless you have to explain something, but yeah, keep them brief), towards the end of the interview, you ask some questions to show interest (no jokes) and finally, well dress appropriately......:)

Also, tell then that you are very interested [B]and what you would [/B]like about this job. If the mood is right you may even ask when they will be making a decision and when you can expect their phone call... shows confidence.

Stringer
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:21 PM

Take a deep breath, smile at yourself in the mirror, list the reasons they'll be lucky to have you and sail into the interview. You'll be fine. I promise.
    mpolo Posts: 117, Reputation: -3

Aug 17, 2009, 02:23 PM

Just be yourself, don't lie, don't drink coffee, stay calm, sleep well, it's not that they are going to kill you, it's just a job interview. And yes NO sex talk

GOOD LUCK!! :)
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Lie?

No sex talk?

That's all you boys have for me? ;)

First, the interviewer is a woman, so, sex talk, not going to happen.

Second, I'm really bad at lying, I suck at it.

Ahhhhh!

Really, I'm terrified.

OMG! I have nothing to wear! :eek:

What if I don't get it?

What if I do get it?

I'm going to suck my thumb.
    Be strong and confident, 'the only thing that you have to fear is... ':)
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:24 PM

I've never been good at interviews. I babble, because I'm nervous.

I forget everything, including my name.

I'll probably pass out.

The thing is, I do know what I'm doing. This is all data entry, easy peasy, could do it in my sleep.

I know Ben is laughing now because it's computer work and he knows how skilled I am at the puter. But, this is MS word, no brainer, can do. :)

Do you think taking valium before the interview would help? ;)

Ah, I also have to find a sitter.

Anyone available on Thursday? ;)
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mpolo View Post
    Just be yourself, don't lie, don't drink coffee, stay calm, sleep well, it's not that they are going to kill you, it's just a job interview. And yes NO sex talk

GOOD LUCK!!!!:)
    No coffee!

Okay, I might as well stay home. ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:26 PM

Yes, valium would be a good idea. In fact, offer the interviewer one. Try to bond with her.

A better idea would be a stiff shot of whiskey. Vodka is not good because at least with whiskey they'll KNOW you're drunk instead of thinking you're stupid.
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by judykaytee View Post
    yes, valium would be a good idea. In fact, offer the interviewer one. Try to bond with her.

A better idea would be a stiff shot of whiskey. Vodka is not good because at least with whiskey they'll know you're drunk instead of thinking you're stupid.
    Funnieeeeeeeee... :)
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:28 PM

Alty, in the midst of all this joking around there is some good advice, especially being confident in yourself. :) I interview people all the time and that is one thing that I look for among other qualifications of course.
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Be strong and confident, 'the only thing that you have to fear is...........':)
    What!

What do I have to fear?

OMG, now I'm afraid of the fear!

Seriously though, I'm really nervous.

I know I have to do this. I hope I get the job, I know it's just an interview, blah, blah, blah, but this means something to me. This is a huge deal to me, for many reasons, not least of all getting back into the job market.

This is also a test. Do I still have what it takes or am I old news?

So much is resting on this.
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
    Alty, in the midst of all this joking around there is some good advice, especially being confident in yourself. :)
    I'm usually very confident, but about this, not so much.

It's been so long.

It's not like riding a bike, you can't just hop back on, the rules have changed, I don't have a helmet! :(

Besides, I was never good at riding a bike.

Just so nervous.
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:33 PM
    What!?

What do I have to fear?!

OMG, now I'm afraid of the fear!

Seriously though, I'm really nervous.

I know I have to do this. I hope I get the job, I know it's just an interview, blah, blah, blah, but this means something to me. This is a huge deal to me, for many reasons, not least of all getting back into the job market.

This is also a test. Do I still have what it takes or am I old news?

So much is resting on this.
    That sort of thinking will make you nervous. Example, when I have an important sales interview I actually pretend that I have already gotten the job and that the interview is only a formality. Helps me be more relaxed. Some things work, some not so much...

Good luck, I'm pretty sure that you have nothing to worry about hon. :)
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:37 PM
    That sort of thinking will make you nervous. Example, when I have an important sales interview I actually pretend that I have already gotten the job and that the interview is only a formality. Helps me be more relaxed. Some things work, some not so much.....

Good luck, I'm pretty sure that you have nothing to worry about hon. :)
    Thanks Stringer.

Thanks Judy.

Thanks Ben.

Thanks new person (sorry, I forgot your name :().

I'm going to get a new suit on Wednesday.

I'm also going to print out my resume on very nice fancy paper, because I can. :)

I'm going to throw up Thursday morning. I'll probably get into an accident on the way to the interview because I'm so nervous, then I won't have to worry about it.
    '
    About the whiskey Judy, does beer work?

I'll let you all know how it goes. If I survive. ;)
    Business Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Thanks Stringer.

Thanks Judy.

Thanks Ben.

Thanks new person (sorry, I forgot your name :().

I'm going to get a new suit on Wednesday.

I'm also going to print out my resume on very nice fancy paper, because I can. :)

I'm going to throw up Thursday morning. I'll probably get into an accident on the way to the interview because I'm so nervous, then I won't have to worry about it.
    '
    About the whiskey Judy, does beer work?

I'll let you all know how it goes. If I survive. ;)

You will... and I know that you're kidding about having alcohol on your breath... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I-751 interview [ 2 Answers ]

I live in California and I have applied for removal of conditions of residence (I 751) on dec 08. They called us for an interview on July 13, 09. I was on Monday at 7am. We were the only couple there. The officer gave us a hard time making questions, trying to intimidate us. We were pretty...

Getting a divorce before 1st interview of marriage based green card interview [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm living in america since 2003 decemeber, 1st I had a f1 then I transfer to h1b and now I'm on marriage based green card status, I'm getting a divorce to my wife and my interview 1st interview is due in a week ,what's going to happen to my status after that I have no criminal record no bad...

I-130 interview [ 1 Answers ]

I was denied political asylum 3 years ago and the judge started removal proceedings,at the time I was dating my husband for a year already so he insisted we get married right away without waiting any longer. Now after 2.5 years of marriage we finally have interview for I-130 scheduled, can I still...

Interview one [ 2 Answers ]

Please describe a time when you had to overcome differences and resistances to bring groups of people together to achieve a common purpose. What did you do? *

View more questions Search