Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1967RSSS Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 02:06 PM
    No landline dial tone after removing home security alarm box?
    Hello all,

I removed the security alarm panel box and after had no dial tone to my landline. The system was not activated/operating for some time. Any one have any ideas of how to reconnect my phone line. I want to get rid of the alarm but keep the phone. Thanks in advance...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:32 PM

I guess the alarm wasn't installed with an RJ31x jack. This jack allows a security system to be unplugged without losing dial tone.

Did the security system plug in with a single jack?

If you go outside and look in the NID, are the RED and GREEN wires are connected or did they use

White with blue and blue with white?

This is the way it should have been done, but who knows.

DSL Filters RJ31X DSL Splitters Alpine Alarms Inc

Assuming the security system was connected to a jack, what color wires are used in the jack?

What color wires are connected to the RED and GREEn terminals in the NID (Box outside)?

I'm assuming one phone line in the house and you get dial tone when you plug a phone in the NID test jack.

Aug 18, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    I guess the alarm wasn't installed with an RJ31x jack. This jack allows a security system to be unplugged without loosing dial tone.

Did the security system plug in with a single jack?

If you go outside and look in the NID, are the RED and GREEN wires are connected or did they use

White with blue and blue with white?

This is the way it should have been done, but who knows.

DSL Filters RJ31X DSL Splitters Alpine Alarms Inc

Assuming the security system was connected to a jack, what color wires are used in the jack?

What color wires are connected to the RED and GREEn terminals in the NID (Box outside)?

I'm assuming one phone line in the house and you get dial tone when you plug a phone in the NID test jack.
    Thanks for the reply.

There is one green and one red wire coming from a small gray box outside. There is also a signal circuit protector and a beige phone jack looking box. It looks like the small box with the red and green wire leads to the alarm box
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 02:31 PM

True. That jack in the NID is the test fack. Some NID's have a jumper. i.e. to jest undo telephone plug and plug a working telephone in the jack.

FWIW: This checks to see if the problem resides in or outside the home about 95% of the time.

The alarm needed 4 wires, not two.

Could be red and black from outside

And ikely

Red and black to inside.

I'm assuming the alarm box used a jack.

Do the test outside first.

If you can post what you can of the connections to the phone system at the alarm box. You can post pics directly using "go advanced/manage attachments"

What I am thinking is you have two red wires to two separate screws at the alarm panel and two green wires to two separate screws at the alarm panel, but I can't read minds.

If this is the case and you get dial tone outside NID, then jumping RED to RED and GRN to GRN at the alarm system area should work.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 06:31 AM

If it is 1 phone cord to panel, then 2 is your dial tone, 2 go back and connect to house phones.
    The colors will help. Some use red and green from the D mark(outside phone box) and return on the yellow and black wires to house(premise) phones. If this is the case you can connect the red and yellow, also connect the green and black. Can be done at outside box as well. If wired like this, you may find thed and greens connected in outside box Beanied/wirenutted to yellow black from inside. Just separate the reds and greens from the yellows and place on the 2 post/terminals/connections.
    Can you provide a pictur of the panel wire, the outside phone box and any other major connection(s)?
    May be using Category Rated wiring, lot of posibilities.
    If you only have 2 conductors to panel, they may be shorted. Would ring busy if you call your number.
    If it rings and rings it is open.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 06:36 AM

Here's the actual 31X jack:
    http://www.cynwydinc.com/RJ31X_data_sheet.pdf
    The Link provided by Kiss above is how it could be, the one at the top that says "without DSL".

Aug 23, 2009, 07:25 AM
    All right, here is a some picture. It looks like the yellow and black are going into the house from the outside. When you call our home line, it just rings and rings...

Thanks

Uber Member

Aug 23, 2009, 07:49 AM

Hard to tell looking at the back side. Looks like your phone line may be the orange/white from "D Mark", A multimeter set to 50 volt or more scale should read about 48 volts dc, higher ac voltage when ringing.
    If you look closely at the pins inside the jack you will notice little jumpers that make and break when the 8 conductor cord is inserted or removed.
    You could take whatever wire is on the red terminal and connect to the wire on the gray terminal, and the wire on the green terminal to the wire on the brown terminal.
    Likely red to yellow, and green to black. Can't see oter side so can't be for sure.
    Follow the voltage.
    Can you provide a better photo of the wires and connections.
    Are any of the non red, green, yellow and black lines hooked up?(white/blue, blue/white etc)?
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2009, 12:26 PM

Where was this taken? Need pic of opposite side of beige object. What is grey object?
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 06:00 AM

Kiss, see that black cord, wonder if it's a Multiplexer. They used them down here a few years back when they didn't have enough phonelines ran, they didn't plan on people having a fax or more than 1 line. They made a retrofit to go on existing boxes, this allowed 2 Phone numbers on one pair.

Aug 25, 2009, 01:54 PM

Aug 25, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 01:58 PM

How about the other side of the beige box?

Is this where the security system was connected? This looks like the demarkaction point, A messy one, at that.

Aug 25, 2009, 01:59 PM
    These pictures were taken outside behind a small panel door labeled telephone.
    The large grey box says signal circuit protector.
    The smaller grey box has no markings on it.
    As for the beige box, I will have to get a pic of it later when I get off work.

Thanks for the help guys...

Aug 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    How about the other side of the beige box?

Is this where the security system was connected? This looks like the demarkaction point, A messy one, at that.
    Yes, I believe this is where the system was connected to. The yellow/and black lines (with a white outer sheath) were the only ones running in from the outside. They ran along the wall of the garage to the system.
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2009, 02:33 PM

The boxes look nice, can't stress the need to see the connections, preferably ALL 3 Boxes.
    Its odd the 31 X is Outside?
    If they used the 31X outside, someone just needs to unplug the 8 conductor cord to disable alarm communications.
    You likely didn't have the following, and was surlely needed:
    A pair of wires that ran with the phone line in to the alarm panel so if cord is removed, or cut, it violates a 24 hr Tamper zone/loop with an End of Line Resistor..
    Can you also provide photo of alarm panel/phone connections, Maybe red, green, yellow, black to the 4 terminals on Panel. Look closely at the terminals, for T and R, and Telco and Premise. Thanks
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 12:58 AM
    We really care about the one by the panel. That has to have at least 4 wires connected.

Sep 18, 2009, 08:24 AM

First off, sorry for the delay in any response. Work has been crazy.

Anyway, I made the mistake of throwing the alarm panel and a metal box (with a circuit board looking thing) in the trash before even noticing it affected the phone line. The wires however, are still in place.

The alarm panel (in kitchen) had a red, black, yellow, and green wire to it.

The metal box (in closet) had a red and black wire.

Each phone jack through out the house has a white/blue wire and a blue wire

The beige box in the picture has multiple white/blue wires and a yellow wire on one side and multiple blue and a one black on the other side.

Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 09:17 AM

The red/grn/yel/blk cable is most likely heading to the alarm box.

The way it's wired suggests that there may be a polarity issue.

You can check with a voltmeter or sometimes an old standard touch tone phone. Key presses won't generate tones on the old phones.

WHT is typically reserved for TIP
    BLU is typically reserved for RING

GRN TIP Line 1
    RED RING Line #1

BLK TIP line #2
    RING Line #2

So the line comes in on the RED/GREEN screw, heads to the alarm panel and returns to the disitribution point as a YELLOW/BLACK respectfully.

So that''s the heads up without a voltmeter, toner, polarity checker or knowing how the other jacks are wired.

Can you do the following at the alarm panel:

Connect RED to YELLOW
    and
    Connect GRN to BLACK

and see if ALL phones generate a dial tone.
    Connect RED to BLACK
    and
    GREEN to YELLOW

and see if all phones generate touch tones.

They may work in one or both connections.

The second thing I's like you to do, is to open a jack somewhere and determine what terminals the white and Blue wires connect to.

White should be connected to G and Blue should be connected to R.

You have a couple of ways to solve the problem. One may be the absolute correct way and others will work.

But first, let's see what we have. Do you have a voltmeter? Even an LED and a resistor (properly sized) will work and available at Radio Shack.

I'm making the folloing assumptions:
    1. he red/blk/yel/grn wire ran to the alarm panel
    2. the blue/white connections are not reversed.
    3. The polarity was accidentally reversed by the alarm installer. (confused by wht/blue colors.

The fixes are then:

1. Put an RJ31x or RJ38x jack at the location of the alarm panel. This is the way an alarm should be wired. Removal of the alarm will then not cause any issues. The RJ38x jack gives the alarm the additional ability of knowing that it's plugged into the jack. This is the BEST fix.

2. Make the Fix in the alarm closet without installing the jack.

3. Make the fix outside, eliminating the red/blk/grn/wht cable.

I would prefer 1 or 2. Small wirenuts are available at Radio Shack.

The color code designations came from here:

Standard Cable Color-Coding Reference

As I said earlier, polarity matters for certain phone devices. Most newer devices are polarity insensitive, but that still doesn't mean it should be wired wrong. I'd hate to have to change all the wires in all the other jacks and that's why I'll assume that the alarm installer messed up.

What I would like to see is it wired as follows if the jacks are wired properly (White to terminal G and Blue to terminal R):

1. Swap the yel and black outside
    2. Connect GRN to Black and Red to yellow at the alarm panel

So, you can approach the problem in two ways:
    1. Make it work
    ... Check phones with two swaps at alarm panel
    2. Make it work correctly.
    ... Verify jacks are wired correctly
    ... Make the required swaps.

Sorry for a long-winded explanation.

Background:

http://www.hometech.com/learn/rj31x.html
    dallan6959 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Easiest way!!

If you are taking out the alarm panel and no longer require the cable to the panel, undo the red and green wire and the yellow and black (this is the white cable going to the panel) and move all the white wires over under the red screw down terminal and the blue wires over under the green screw down terminal

All the white cable is doing is taking the line into the alarm panel and sending it back on the yellow and black, this is so that the panel has priority over the phone line if it needs to dial out when the alarm is tripped

Dallan

PS I work on phones:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No dial tone and house alarm affected, while DSL working okay [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday, my landline phone suddenly has no dial tone (all the phonejacks in the house not working, and I tested them with 2 different phones), and at the same time, my home security alarm began flashing a "phone off hook" message. My DSL connection was fine the entire time. I checked and didn't...

Landline rings once then goes to fax tone [ 5 Answers ]

My landline rings only once after which it goes to fax tone. If you pick up in that ring or else you will hear the fax tone. Even the caller hears a fax tone. I DO NOT have a fax in my house or ever used this number for fax. Please help. I have tried everything. Called the ATT company people-...

Landline phone DSLyes but no audio dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, All of a sudden (high wind weather went through the other night). Coincidence maybe. Now singlr line phone system has DSL that still works but audio / dial tone do not work. Unplugged all phones and plugged back in one at atime and still no dial tone. Opened box on out side and...

Dial tone O.K. In shop no good at home [ 2 Answers ]

By accident I recently cut some what I thought was old unused wire in our home. Unfortunately it was telephone line! We have other jacks on different circuits so I plugged in the affected cordless telephone-there was power but no dial tone. I took the whole phone assembly to our local...

No dial tone [ 2 Answers ]

Over a couple of days my phone service deteriorated until there was nothing. Then, after a day, the ADSL came back (that's how I'm doing this) but not the dial tone. I unplugged all the phones and put them back one by one, but still nothing. Any suggesitons? Verizon is going to charge me...

View more questions Search