Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayrunz Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Freezing Laptop
    Hi,each time I connect to the internet my browsers freeze all the time.I use 4 different browsers which are mozilla,flock,opera and netscape and I am on windows xp 2 operating system.I tried upgrading my RAM by 512mb hoping the freezing will stop but it won't.What could be the problem?My system configuration is 1.8ghz processor,768mb of RAM and 40gb HDD.So please help me out.
    Phill29 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2009, 09:31 AM

Does your browser freeze completely where you have to end task it. Or do you wait a few minutes and it will continue loading the page. Give this a try open internet explorer or Firefox which ever you use go to

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Browsing
    Uncheck the Enable 3rd party browser extensions

If that solves the problem then you must have had spyware or a virus that was infecting your broswer although your computer runs fine. If that doesn't work try uninstalling and reinstall the programs and if that doesn't work id suggest a registry clean up or virus scan
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 10:14 AM

Check your startup items for unknown software
    -start, run and type msconfig - hit enter

Go to startup tab and look for anything not familiar, if not sure, you can post here

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup.

Aug 17, 2009, 03:47 PM

I have tried everything its still the same I even formatted my computer twice but the same problem and I use a good antivrus but it keeps freezing.its a dell inspiron 8200.dont know what to do.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 04:16 PM

So you've reformatted computer 2 times and reinstalled windows 2 times?

Aug 18, 2009, 05:49 AM

Yes I did
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 07:26 AM

If you have hardware attached (printer, etc... ) disconnect anything extra and just run PC by itself to see if still freezes

Could be memory issue - you mentioned you added 512 RAM, take out the original and just run the 512 that you added to see if still freezes (this could indicate original memory may have gone bad)

How to diagnose, check, and test for bad memory

Your RAM, Check It!

Aug 21, 2009, 03:48 AM

I tried removing old RAM but there seem to be no difference.I just want to know if Microsoft .NET framework affects the performance of the PC because I don't have it installed on my computer.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 07:34 AM

Would recommend going to MS update and getting all the avail. Updates

You mentioned you have been using 4 browsers and also mentioned you have reinstalled your system a number of times, after reinstalling the system, did you see if the PC would freeze before installing ANY software other than the operating system?
    -Just reinstall windows and install nothing, does it still freeze?

When you install windows, you also need to make sure that there is nothing attached to the PC (no printer or any extra hardware, just the laptop with no extras attached)

Aug 22, 2009, 04:32 PM

When I reformatted the laptop the second time I tried to see if the PC would freeze without anything installed and yet it still froze,I have never attached any extra hardware to it.What else can I do?
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 06:14 PM

It is possible, do not know for sure but some new programs require it - but if you did not install anything and you did format 2 times and same situation, that should not make a difference.

If still freezing after a new install and nothing else installed, it would come down to ram, bad video card, possible processor, ports or something attached to the PC (hardware, etc... )

Or just system board itself as it would not seem to be software

Aug 23, 2009, 05:27 AM

I think it's the processor.Please advice on how to go about changing it or repairing it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 06:05 AM

New processor - would just get new system board

Aug 24, 2009, 02:40 PM

OK thanks a lot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

Refrigerator freezing things and freezer barely freezing items [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Maytag MFF2557HEW, French doors on top and Freezer on bottom. We have freezer set at 7 and refrigerator set at 1. We cannot use veggie drawers because it freezes everything in them. We have to put all veggies and fruits on the shelves. Ice cream remains soft in the freezer, but meats...

View more questions Search