Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peligro007 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Your way beyond where you should be anyways, you crossed the line of safety when you first connected the breaker.

So carefully test from each leg to neutral, and each should see 120 volts. Then across the two main lugs you should see 240 volts.

At least wear safety glasses. Nevermind the voltage rated gloves.

Thanks to all that responded.

Special Thanks To TKRUSSELL an Keepitsimplestupid.

It is time for me to call an electrician to take care of this problem because when it come to the main service panel I don't feel comfortable working with.

Thanks again
    God Bless you all.
    Dermis
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 01:48 PM

The breaker has red and black, so you must be color blind. You sate:
    Quote Originally Posted by op
    I tested the breaker. First i tested the red to the white and is at 0.
    You need to check the big fat black and red wires.

1. What is voltage between the big fat white and red wires at the top of the panel (240)?

2. What is the voltage to the big fat red to the white bus (120)?

3. What is the voltage from the big fat black to the white bus (120)?

Those a are specific questions.

As long as you don't put a screwdriver across those big wires and/or ground, you'll be fine.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 01:53 PM
    I am satisfied:

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro007 View Post
    It is time for me to call an electrician to take care of this problem because when it come to the main service panel i dont feel confortable working with.
    Never argue with this statement.

If someone is not comfortable, time to call a pro, and live.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 02:43 PM

Amen!
    Peligro007 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Does the breaker have joined levers?

Bare of the cable should be connected at each end. Bare to the green screw. White or black to the brass screws in any combination.

Check the red at the panel. Make sure it's connected to the wire and not the insulation.

Your measuring from either neutral or ground to one of the hots (red or black), correct?

Again Thanks to all that help me with this blog.

Keep it simple stupid you kind of like to insult people. I suggest that you hond your thinking and think twice before you write. Remember if people ask question is because they do not know the answer.

This is a site for people to help each other not to insult. If you are going to insult any member KEEP IT to yourself.

Thanks again to everyone.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 08:32 PM

Sorry. I remember when I was part of a data center trouble-shooting team and I asked whether their terminal was plugged in. They looked and it wasn't.

I've clamped down on insulation once or twice two and guess what? It didn't work. SO it's something I look for.

Breakers with unjoined levers are a sign of tandem breakers which can come in 15/15, 20/20 or 15/20 versions. These allow two 120 Circuits to occupy the same space as a single 240 circuit.

That's why all the questions.

I rub some people the wrong way and I have a medical diagnosis to prove it. All I can say is sorry.

More than one of us thought your posts were confusing, but we did not give up, did we? That was the other option.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2009, 02:39 AM
    Peligro, I am not sure what your reading, but I think you certainly misunderstood.

I see nothing even remotely insulting.

Kiss did not insult you, nor has he ever insulted anyone here,ever.

Kiss has only been as helpful to anyone and everyone as possible.

Call in an electrician, and get back with what problem was found.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v hot wires [ 6 Answers ]

I'm putting in a 220v, 4 prong socket for a range. I have 3 white cables coming out of the floor in metallic tubing, where it was connected to the old range. I know the common, but not which is the black or which is the red. Does it make a difference? If so, how do I find out? Thanks. mdvo

Connecting A 30 amp 220v plug [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect a 220v 30 amp NEMA L6 plug. There are four wires in the line: red, black, white and copper ground. On the Sub-panel side, the red and black are connected to the two poles of a dual 30 amp breaker. The white and copper are connected to the neutral bar. The wire is 10 gauge....

Connecting 220v garage heater [ 2 Answers ]

Good Day, I have a 220v outlet in the garage (wires are red, black, white) the red and black are connected to the 30 amp breaker in the house. Now the heater has (red, black and copper), the copper I've grounded and I figure red goes to red and black to black but what about the white.

Connecting a 220v appliance [ 1 Answers ]

Wire from panel till appliance,diagram

View more questions Search