Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Urho Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Electric Chain Saw Current Draw
    Over the years I have purchased two 3.5 HP electric chain saws and although using them only infrequently for trimming trees and clearing storm damage, I have cooked them both. I now have ordered a new Poulan 3.5 HP electric saw and it should be here (home) 08-18-2009. It's rated 12 Amps.

I have cooked the motors because of undersized extension cords. These saws are not supplied with thermal overload protection nor a current fuse. I know that each 50-foot length of extension cord that I include decreases the voltage at the saw motor and increases the current. I also know that I should be using 10 AWG extension cords, but it's simply less expensive to purchase another saw.

I don't understand the 12 Amp rating because 12 x 110 / 745 = 1.8 HP (not 3.5 HP)
    I could sure use your enlightenment with that.

Anyway, I'm thinkig about mounting a 10 Amp circuit breaker in a plastic watertight Bud Box. The box will include a male panel mount plug that my extension cord will plug into. On the other end of the box will be approximately 6-feet of power cord and a female receptacle that will plug onto the chain saw. As such, I am now limiting the current at the saw to 10 Amps.
    Will this prevent me from cooking my new saw?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 07:28 PM

The vacuum cleaner guys have been doing it for years. Ristenbatt Vacuum - Power of the Vacuum Cleaner Suction Motor - Your best source for Vacuum Cleaners Products.

Yes 3.5 HP is unrealistic.

What size cord(s) are you using and what length(s)?

Cooling is usually the problem. Sawdust may block the holes. Overloading is yet another reason.

A thermal overload in the motor would be best.

A 10 A fuse might pop even if it's time delay.

A motor overload might work.

Keep compressed air handy to clean out the cooling passages.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 07:50 PM
    A small gas powered chain saw would eliminate all your problems... except those defined as "user error" I suspect that a dull chain will greatly overload an electric chain saw even in the simplest of tasks. If you try to cut a limb over 2 inches you are pushing the limits of an electric chain saw. For small limb triiming you would be better off with a reciprocal saw with an appropriate blade.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:53 PM

Unless you are using something like a 18 gauge, 100" extension cord, it is unlikely the cord is the problem. Even then you would have to use it constantly for an extended period of time.

I do not wish to be unkind, but more likely it is you cutting technique. If you have a dull chain and are really forcing it you could, over work the motor. Logically that should tire you out before the saw over heats.

With a sharp chain you should only apply slight downward pressure, letting the saw do the work.

I have a small, cheap, Remington, electric saw that I use on the end of a 14" pole. Needless to say that it has to be small, to be used on the pole. I think it has a 12" bar.
    It will easily cut a 6 to 8" limb.

Most likely problem here is an improperly tensioned chain. Chain should be such that you can lift the chain about 1/2 off the bar in the center of the bar. An overly tight chain would put unnecessary, constant load on the saw motor. As the bar heats up and expands the tension on the chain increases.

The 3.5 HP is some kind of sales talk, probably "a developed horse power at a xxx rpm", what ever that means.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 11:32 AM

Your absoluely right about cutting technique and a sharp blade and the chain needs to stay oiled too.

You have to cut, so the saw won't bind. I think it's cut about 1/3 in on an angle on the bottom of a branch that needs to be cut.

The sideways cut prevents the tree from collapsing onto the saw. Then cut that section out straight. It's still unlikely that the branch will pinch the saw.

Now cut from the top and the branch will follow the wedge.

Don't skimp on the step and always cut pieces of the branch making it smaller and smaller. Only for small branches can you cut directly, but you won't know where they will fall.

Yep, I use an electric one too. Occasional trimming. It's about 30 years old. I have to replace the oil bladder and cord strain relief. Have the parts. Don't have the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Current draw for a solenoid. [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I am stuck on a problem for a pinball machine. When a coil (solenoid) is energized does the current spike at first? Then does it level off? Does the current build over time while the current is energized? A theoretical graph would be awsome. Thanks in advance for sharing your hard earned...

Current draw [ 1 Answers ]

What could be causeing a current draw I have a 1991 crx and pulled every fuse and still can't find the source of the current draw (short) could this be because of a bad ELD

Heater has no electric current [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I noticed my thermostat was blank. I check our heater (forced air Carrier) because it gets its power from there. The 5 amp mini-fuse was blown so I replaced it. The thermostat came on briefly but went out again. I had the mini-circuit breaker tested and half of it was bad, so I...

How much current should a [ 18 Answers ]

I’m trying to understand motors and the amount of current to turn them. Getting new toys sometimes causes more questions. I recently picked up a low price a/c amperage gauge. It is designed to clamp over one of the power legs of a devise and read the current draw. My well motor by the paperwork...

Studio app. Outlets,current draw breaker [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.The studio app. That I am currently renting has 7 outlets in it.There are (when I asked the l.l.)lines for an oven that just need to be installed.My question is there is no separate outlets or lines for a fridge.There is only a 15 amp breaker in the box.I have a 50" dlp TV a full 6.1 surround...

View more questions Search