Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patsygee1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 10:38 AM
    mutually exclusive
    The events X and Y are mutually exclusive. Suppose P(X) _ .05 and P(Y) _ .02. What is
    the probability of either X or Y occurring? What is the probability that neither X nor Y will
    happen?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:44 AM
    If they're mutually exclusive, then that means they can't both happen ; if one happens, then the other doesn't and vice-versa. You have the individual probabilities for both X and Y. So it should now be easy to calculate the either/or probability. And once you have that answer, it's easy to determine the neither/nor probability as that's simply the complementary event to the either/or probability. I'm not going to give you the actual answers but if you want to attempt it I'll be happy to critique your work.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:45 AM

Mutually exclusive means that one cannot happen of the other happens. For example, if you toss a coin, you either have a head or a tail, not both.

1. The probability that either of the events occur = sum of probability.

2. The probability that neither events occur = Take the probability that either of the events occur from 1.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Mutually exclusive means that one cannot happen of the other happens. For example, if you toss a coin, you either have a head or a tail, not both.

1. The probability that either of the events occur = sum of probability.

2. The probability that neither events occur = Take the probability that either of the events occur from 1.
    Here you've been told how to do it, so go for it!

Aug 16, 2009, 10:55 AM

P(X or Y) = P(X) + P(Y)
    P(X or Y) = .05 + .02 = .07 is the probability of x or y occurring
    P(X or Y) = P(X) + P(Y) -1
    P(X or Y) = .05 + .02 -1
    P(X or Y) = -.93 probability neither x nor y will happen
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:59 AM

The first one is correct.

However, the second one is not. You take 0.07 from 1, that is 1-0.07 and not the other way round. Probability is never negative. Probability ranges from 0 to 1 only.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    The first one is correct.

However, the second one is not. You take 0.07 from 1, that is 1-0.07 and not the other way round. Probability is never negative. Probability ranges from 0 to 1 only.
    You got it!

Aug 16, 2009, 11:08 AM

Thanks for your help. Look forward to collaborating with you again
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 11:11 AM

You're most welcomed! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does exclusive possessory rights mean [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, My Dad's will stated that one of his houses was to be left to my 2 sisters and me. He allowed my brother's exwife and 1 minor child to live there rent free, and left provisions in his will for the minor child to have exclusive possessory right to occupy and reside in him until she...

Mutually hate people? [ 14 Answers ]

What is the rule about dealing with people your significant other hates? For example, for my job I go to this one place everyday. At this place is a girl that my GF hates. They were best friends for a while but some drama started. Sometimes she will say hello and I'll say hello back. I say...

Commercial Mutually Agreed Upon Breaking of Lease [ 8 Answers ]

We have a tenant with a commercial lease through August 2011. We were about to sign a lease for space in a neighbor's building, but decided to ask our tenant first if she had ever considered getting out of her lease early. She averages 16 days late on her rent payment and makes remarks leading us...

Mutually exclusive and not mutually exclusive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I had to submit my homework online and one of the questions were... Is it mutually exclusive if you were to roll a die and get a number greater than 3, and get a number less than 3? I put it was not mutually exclusive. I got it wrong though. I thought events were mutually...

Are faith and logic mutually exclusive? [ 7 Answers ]

Why do some insist that reason and faith are mutually exclusive while simultaneously pointing to creation itself as evidence of God's existence?

View more questions Search