Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    witchady14 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 09:40 AM
    How to get the father of the kittens to get along with them?
    OK my cat he's a young cat so he's very playful but my female cat just had his kittens. He is now neutered but still very playful. The problem is that he plays to rough he uses his nails a lot. I'm scared he would hurt the kittens. Today I took him to see them they are in my room with the mother. So I opened the door so they can meet. Being such innocent things they quickly ran up to him he smelled them and then just smacks one of them in the head. He didn't use his nails but when he did it again he did. The kitten didn't get hurt but I'm scared that they might next time. What do I do to help them get along ?:confused:
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 09:48 AM

You need to introduce them in an environment where the male cat can go to the kittens if he wishes, not just put him in the room with them.

Something like putting him up high on a couch before you let the kitten in would keep him away from them and then he can go see them at his own pace.

Another alternative is to get a baby gate, one with small enough slats the kittens can't squeeze through or a solid perspex one, then he can see the kittens without interacting with them until he is ready to.

Aug 16, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    You need to introduce them in an environment where the male cat can go to the kittens if he wishes, not just put him in the room with them.

Something like putting him up high on a couch before you let the kitten in would keep him away from them and then he can go see them at his own pace.

Another alternative is to get a baby gate, one with small enough slats the kittens can't squeeze through or a solid perspex one, then he can see the kittens without interacting with them untill he is ready to.
    Thank you for your help I'm going to try that to see if it works hopefully:)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:02 AM

Good luck, remember, just take it slow, let him come to them at his own pace.
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 03:16 AM

It is extremely important to keep the male away from the kittens. Male cats sometimes kill their own young. (This is something you ought to have looked into before the mother gave birth.) Let the mother decide when to lead her kittens out. In the meantime, keep the father away unless you are watching him like a hawk. And severely restrict his time with them. My neighbors were recently in the same position you are. They let the male mix and mingle with the kittens at will and came home to find that he had killed and eaten two of them.

As far as helping them to get along: Watch the male closely--which it sounds like you are already doing--and each time he is rough with them pick him up and carry him away, preferably placing him in a small windowless room without any toys or entertainment for ten or fifteen minutes. You'll have to repeat this lots of times, since he's not going to get it the first time. Also, have him neutered ASAP. Once he's neutered he will be much gentler with the kittens. As long as the female is nursing she isn't going to go into heat, and this means that the kittens are competition in his eyes. (He wants her to go into heat.)

Aug 17, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    It is extremely important to keep the male away from the kittens. Male cats sometimes kill their own young. (This is something you ought to have looked into before the mother gave birth.) Let the mother decide when to lead her kittens out. In the meantime, keep the father away unless you are watching him like a hawk. And severely restrict his time with them. My neighbors were recently in the same position you are. They let the male mix and mingle with the kittens at will and came home to find that he had killed and eaten two of them.

As far as helping them to get along: Watch the male closely--which it sounds like you are already doing--and each time he is rough with them pick him up and carry him away, preferrably placing him in a small windowless room without any toys or entertainment for ten or fifteen minutes. You'll have to repeat this lots of times, since he's not going to get it the first time. Also, have him neutered ASAP. Once he's neutered he will be much gentler with the kittens. As long as the female is nursing she isn't going to go into heat, and this means that the kittens are competition in his eyes. (He wants her to go into heat.)
    Yea he's already neutered thank you for the advice. But that thing of putting him into a room without windows really works as a punishment? Because sometimes he does things he's not suppose to like now he's ripping up my rug and I don't know what to do to dicipline him I use a bottle of water that sprays that I read in a book to use but it doesn't really work. So would the room without windows would work?
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by witchady14 View Post
    yea hes already neutered thank you for the advice. but that thing of putting him into a room without windows really works as a punishment? because somtimes he does things hes not suppose to like now hes ripping up my rug and idk what to do to dicipline him i use a bottle of water that sprays that i read in a book to use but it doesnt really work. so would the room without windows would work?
    This is what I do. It works better than spray bottles. Of course, you have to catch them in the act. I have found that "time out" works so well that it's the only form of punishment I use. And I've had great success with it. When you catch him doing something he's not supposed to, just pick him up and close him alone in a room for ten minutes or so. My guys hate it and are remarkably apologetic afterward. But, as with all things, you have to be consistent about it.

As for the scratching. If you don't already have one, get a good scratching post. When he digs at the rug, pick him up and take him to the scratching post.

Good luck!

Aug 18, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoue View Post
    This is what I do. It works better than spray bottles. Of course, you have to catch them in the act. I have found that "time out" works so well that it's the only form of punishment I use. And I've had great success with it. When you catch him doing something he's not supposed to, just pick him up and close him alone in a room for ten minutes or so. My guys hate it and are remarkably apologetic afterward. But, as with all thigns, you have to be consistent about it.

As for the scratching. If you don't already have one, get a good scratching post. When he digs at the rug, pick him up and take him to the scratching post.

Good luck!
    Yea we do have a scratching post and he uses it is that he does that when every one is asleep and we close the door and he thinks he could get in by digging my rug under the door and now we have a hole under the door.so at night we put him in the valcany but sometimes it rains and we put him inside and he digs again our rug and he wakes us up and makes holes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father! Marcelino montalvo. A daughter in need of her real father [ 14 Answers ]

Ok I now you hear this a lot but I am looking for my father.. I haven't seen him since I was a couple of months.. but when I was 16 and ranaway I saw him at the best buy in kendall Florida.. but I didn't say anything to him. I regret it and I just want him in my life. His name is marcelino...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search