Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EliaNG Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 03:41 AM
    Recommendations on replacing a motherboard
    Howdy Folks,

I'm posting because I've run into a problem while trying to get my mom's ~5 year old emachines T5212 PC to work. I originally knew of a HD problem (horrible grinding sound) and replaced it with a new Seagate. That didn't solve the problem of the computer working.. so I think it is now an issue of the motherboard being fried.

I've read in a number of forums that emachines motherboards are cr*p so I don't want to spend money on an exact OEM replacement board just to have it fail again in a year or so. I want to buy a good, inexpensive motherboard that will work with the remaining contents of her T5212. I have a new Seagate HD, the DVD drive, the PSU, the RAM, the monitor, speakers, keyboard & mouse. Here are most of my questions:

1. What criteria should I use to determine what is a reasonable non-OEM motherboard?
    2A. Is the CPU included with the motherboard?
    2B. Do I use the existing CPU from her computer on the new MB?
    3. If the old computer had video capability on the MB should the new MB also have it?
    4. And what are the north port and the south port? I like ships and sailing, but what's with all the ports?
    5. Sound?
    6. Are there other considerations?
    7. Any recommended brands?

I understand that I'll need to buy a new OS, since the disc included with the PC doesn't contain the entire OS, only a portion of it; apparently the OEM HD that came with the PC had a partition on it and that's where the other portion of the OS resides. I wonder if I can still find a copy of XP available somewhere.

My goal is to minimize her expenditures while providing a reliable basic PC - she really only wants/needs to surf the web and send e-mail.

Many thanks in advance,
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Aug 16, 2009, 07:31 AM

1: You should look for any board with Micro-ATX form factor and an LGA 775 socket
    2A: No the CPU will not be included with the board (you already have one)
    2B:Yes
    3:All modern desktop motherboards have on-board video.
    4:Northbridge and Southbridge are different parts of the chipset, the Northbridge is like a "Bridge" that connects the CPU, RAM, Video, RTC and other parts together for fast operation (its the chip under the heatsink next to the CPU) and the Southbridge is pretty much the same but doesn't include the CPU (usually the biggest chip in the bottom right corner of the board)
    5:Just as with Video all modern desktop boards have integrated soundcards
    6:So that you won't have to buy new RAM the board has to support DDR2 memory, and also make sure that the I/O plate (the holes where the ports go at the back of your computer) pops out or you will have to find a board with the exact matching socket arrangement or get a Black&Decker and cut it out.
    7:Asus and MSI are the best in low to mid price-range, if you have more money to blow then GigaByte and DFI are my recommendations (though I wouldn't spend that much to stick it in an emachines case).

Yeah the Emachines recovery disc/partition will only work on the original hardware, but you can pick up a copy of XP Pro for £30-£40 ($50-$65) on Amazon

Aug 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
    tf7426,

Many thanks. That helps a huge amount. Now that the hardware end seems pretty clear, I have a question on drivers - as in - do I use the ones that came with the T5212, or do I find/obtain other drivers. Does the MB come with a CD or something with drivers on it?

TIA,

Elia

Aug 16, 2009, 02:52 PM

You should use the CD that comes with the motherboard.

Even better, you can go to the manufacturer's website and download off their downloads section as they will be more updated.

Aug 20, 2009, 06:58 PM
    tf7426,

I've purchased an ASUS P5QPL-AM motherboard, which has Micro-ATX form factor with the LGA775 socket, from Newegg. I am in the process of installing the new hard motherboard, and so far the mechanical removal and replacement has gone easily. I am now stuck, though. Here are my challenges:

1. The old motherboard had two 40 pin IDE connector recepticals, where the new motherboard only has one. Can I purchase some sort of jumper to allow the two IDE connectors to work off the one receptical? Or does this mean I have to return the MB? The two IDE devices are the DVD drive and the hard drive.

2. The emachines case has a rear mounted fan in addition to the CPU mounted heatsink and fan. The rear mounted fan has a 3 pin connector which has been connected to the old MB. The new MB doesn't have a socket which will receive the fan plug. What should I do with this? Ignore it? Remove the rear mounted fan?

3. On the inside of the case, originating from the front panel are three 2 wire twisted pair connectors. The 3 pairs are white/black, white/red, and white/green. There are no clear spots on the new MB for them, nor are they mentioned in the instructions that came with the MB.

Any help or guidance you can provide would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Elia

Aug 21, 2009, 02:57 AM
    Well, I think I've answered my first question myself. I need a 40 pin IDE to SATA converter (with cable). The ASUS MB has 4 SATA recepticals. It seems there are a number of these IDE-to-SATA converter kits for sale, so off shopping I go. I could still use answers to questions 2 and 3.

Again, thanks in advance,

Elia

Aug 21, 2009, 03:02 AM

1: The jumper is on the back of the drives, there will be a diagram on each drive telling you where to set them. Make the HDD a master, and the DVD a slave drive, I'd also make sure that's their arrangement on the IDE cable.

2: Case fans aren't that important, but if you like you can get a 3 Pin to 4 Pin Adapter, so that you can plug it into one of the Molex connectors (or you can just patch the cable yourself).

3: In your manual, look for System Panel Connector, it will tell you where plugs where. If you look at the Motherboard Layout in the manual, it's item 12. Might be easier to follow each wire to see where it goes or you'll have to rely on trial and error.

Aug 21, 2009, 03:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EliaNG View Post
    Well, I think I've answered my first question myself. I need a 40 pin IDE to SATA convertor (with cable). The ASUS MB has 4 SATA recepticals. It seems there are a number of these IDE-to-SATA convertor kits for sale, so off shopping I go. I could still use answers to questions 2 and 3.

Again, thanks in advance,

Elia
    You don't need one, you might as well save your money and get a SATA hard-drive later, all IDE connectors have 2 channels, that's why the cable has two plugs.

Aug 21, 2009, 05:18 AM
    tf7426,

In looking over the 3 IDE cables I have none have enough distance to connect the DVD drive to the HD to the MB. I've done a quick search and can't seem to find IDE to IDE junction devices. Do these things exist? That the IDE cable can't reach to all three points was reason I went looking for the IDE to SATA converter; I should have noted that before. On the system panel connectors I've found where they are supposed to plug on to the MB... but all three pair are too short - the old MB had them plug in at the front/lower corner of the board, where the new MB has them plug in near the rear/lower corner. I wonder if there are extensions to be found for these?

Thanks in advance,

Aug 21, 2009, 10:59 AM

I looked inside my friend's emachines case and I can see your problem now.

For f_panel extenders you can use a female to male connector like this http://www.frontx.com/pro/c213.html.

Even though IDE cables are supposed ot be 18" by specification, Maplin (UK) do 1m IDE cables (longer than that I suspect you'd get signal loss) I'm sure other places do them.

For now have you tried screwing the HDD into the 3.5" bays under the DVD drive where the floppy drive's meant to be?

Aug 21, 2009, 07:50 PM
    tf7426,

I have to thank you for the help. I went to a local computer chain store and found a 36 inch IDE ribbon, which fit the bill perfectly. There was enough distance between the second and last connectors to suit the odd emachines DVD and HD installation layout, so that went in perfectly. I also picked up some system interface wire bundles (inexpensive) to splice onto the too-short existing ones. From my motorcycling days I had a wiring splice kit, with crimp connections, and those worked perfectly for the system interface LED wiring. I removed the case fan, so just the CPU and PSU have fans; both work fine. The CPU fan came with the e-machines computer and man is it noisy (!). Anyway, the system worked just fine, I easily loaded the OS, set up some accounts, and loaded some office software.

MANY MANY thanks for your help! You really pointed me in the right direction, saved me time and money (and aggrevation). Super help!

Elia

Aug 22, 2009, 04:05 AM

No problem, glad to.

Yeah asus's fan control is famously dodgy that's why I always put a manual control on my computers.

Aug 23, 2009, 04:09 AM
    Having read your response on the ASUS fan speed control, I took a look through the ASUS manual that came with the MB. The MB I bought has that fan speed control option/alternate. Pretty slick. I'm going to take the PC up to my mom's house today and set it up; there I'll mod the fan speed control. Again, many thanks.

Elia

Sep 4, 2009, 03:46 AM
    tf7426,

Here's a quick update: After my last post I took the computer up to my folks house, set it up, installed the software, and it began running like a champ. The only issue I have yet to resolve is the wireless network connection. I am not sure if the issue is one with how I've set up the connection (I know the name and WEP for the wireless router) or something else. The connection only shows 2 of 5 bars. Unfortunately the router is where it is, and there aren't too many other locations where I can move it. Web and e-mail access are not yet working. I may remove and reinstall IE... maybe that will work?

Oh, yeah, almost forgot - I tried to access the ASUS control that allows for the alternate CPU fan speed but couldn't get that to work. Maybe I just need a little for time...

That's it for now.

Oct 3, 2009, 01:34 AM

Soz for taking long to reply, moving house

Have you tried instaling an alternate browser (download from a different PC) or tried it with firewall turned off? You've probably fixed it now anyway.

Another little program that works on most motherboards is SpeedFan.

Oct 3, 2009, 11:07 AM
    tf7426,

It seems big part of the problem was my sister and mom turning off either the PC or the wireless router... (!! )... not allowing the updates to complete. Once I was able to "babysit" the PC and allow it to do it's updates everything worked out just fine.

I'll check in to Sppedfan. I think the ASUS updates also hadn't gone through, so I bet the alternate fan speed/temp profile is now there.

Thanks again,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC Recommendations? [ 4 Answers ]

I'd appreciate some feedback on lower-priced computers. Our current computer is a Sony Vaio (nearly 8 years old!) and we've had a very good experience with it, but its simply too old for what we need now. About Us/Needs: We prefer PC's DH is in school and will need Word, Excel, Powerpoint,...

Very Ill Cat any recommendations [ 5 Answers ]

My sister has a cat that is 10 years old. She has been an indoor cat ONLY. The cat stopped eating and barely drank anything for 3 days. She has also vomitted what little she did eat. The cat has been brought to the vets and they did an x-ray. They found crystals in the bladder but...

Sub Panel Recommendations? [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a 200amp main breaker panel located in my garage. From the garage to the house is a buried line that feeds a 60amp fuse subpanel. I am going to upgrade the subpanel in my house and need a little advice. First of all What size panel should I put in? 100 - 125 - 150? The 60...

View more questions Search