Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tri8107 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Steps to Unsupervised Probation
    How do I you applied for Unsupervised Probation?
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Aug 15, 2009, 05:39 PM

I was a PO in Maryland for 7 years (resigned when my caseload reached 356 criminal cases) and have found that a judge might change a case to unsupervised status if, first of all, all the conditions of probation have been completed (all monies paid, any treatment or counseling completed), the person has remained in compliance, and there have been no new charges.

Having said that, I have also heard judges explain that they constructed their probation order based upon conditions that existed at the time the case was decided and they want the defendant to demonstrate that things have changed that would no longer require probation supervision. One of the best reasons people have for wanting their probation either terminated early or placed in unsupervised status is that they have been accepted for service in the military. Judges know that the person will get more supervision in basic training than they will ever get on probation.

I have also seen judges grant such requests when family or medical emergencies arise.

I would also suggest that you discuss the matter with your PO and see if they will put in a request for you and say a few good words on your behalf. If not, and you really feel that you are entitled to unsupervised probation, you can write the judge yourself. His contact information should be on the probation order. The judge will either say no, say yes, or hold a hearing to determine if your request should be granted. Good Luck!

Aug 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
    When the money is paid. Probation will end. My probation is about making payments.

I want to know what steps I need to take to apply for Unsupervised Probation?

Aug 15, 2009, 06:12 PM

Well that makes quite a difference! You shouldn't have to do anything if that is the case. You don't apply for unsupervised probation if it ends, the probation is simply over.

The PO is supposed to close the case (and get it off their caseload, which they love to do) as soon as the money is paid. Make sure they do it. As soon as you make the last payment, call and remind them to close the case.

I hope you are not confused about whether you probation actually ends when you pay the money, or becomes unsupervised. The two are not the same. Your probation order should tell you exactly what happens when you pay the money. If the probation becomes unsupervised, you don't have to report or anything, but picking up a new charge would likely violate the probation.

If you are unsure, call the PO. And be sure to call him when the last payment is made to remind him to close it or make it unsupervised, whichever it is.

Aug 15, 2009, 06:30 PM

There are no new charges or violations. Once payment is made probation will end. I didn't know about, Unsupervised Probation and wanted to know to apply for it. All I have to do is make payments, I just wanted to know; How do I apply for it. I, Report on Time and Pay on Time.

Aug 15, 2009, 06:44 PM

If you are saying that you want to apply for unsupervised probation before the money is paid, that is not likely to happen because unsupervised probation normally has no conditions except staying out of trouble and paying money is a condition that has to be supervised by a PO. Of course you can always ask your PO about it or write the judge as I said above, but I have never heard of unsupervised probation being granted when there are still conditions existing that need the supervision of a PO to ensure they are complied with.

Aug 15, 2009, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I have learned a great deal, Today from this Web Site.

Thank God for People like you who want to Help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tri8107 View Post
    I just wanted to know; How do I apply for it.
    Hello tri:

Write the judge a letter. Send a copy to the prosecutor and one to your PO.

excon

Aug 17, 2009, 01:16 AM

You will never see a prosecutor have anything to do with a probation case unless there is a violation of probation. Otherwise, they know nothing about the probation and their contact information is not normally found on the probation order.
    Sept Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 12:16 PM
    I have a question... I have a charge for worthless check and was given 60 days to pay and placed on unsupervised probation, well the 60 came quickly and I did not receive the funds that I needed, so a long story short I was served papers to appear again, what do you think the chances of me getting on supervised probation until the money gets paid? I really want to do the right thing and pay this money back I just don't have the full amount and won't be able to pay it off until Jan. I don't want to go to jail, but they won't let me make payments until I see the Judge... I hope they will just let me make payments but I think I have to be on probation to do that, but not really sure... Any advise is greatly needed.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sept View Post
    I have a question.....I have a charge for worthless check and was given 60 days to pay and placed on unsupervised probation, well the 60 came quickly and i did not recieve the funds that i needed, so a long story short i was served papers to appear again, what do you think the chances of me getting on supervised probation until the money gets paid? I really want to do the right thing and pay this money back i just don't have the full amount and won't be able to pay it off until Jan. I don't want to go to jail, but they won't let me make payments until i see the Judge......I hope they will just let me make payments but i think i have to be on probation to do that, but not really sure.....Any advise is greatly needed.
    Its not a good idea to piggyback on someone else's question. Start your own... makes it easier for everyone.

You already violated your probation once... why would they extend it? There is a decent chance you will spend some time in jail and then go on supervised probation until it is settled.

Its up to the judge though.
    Sept Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
    But is there a chance I will be placed on supervised probation so I can make payments? If I have to spend time in jail then I will loose my job and then won't be able to pay it back. I am just so stressed out about this whole thing. I didn't mean to violate it, I called weeks before my court date to let them know the situation and they would not work with me and said I would have to wait to see the Judge.

And sorry about the piggyback on someone, I thought I was starting my own.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2009, 01:49 PM

Its certainly possible that you will avoid jail. Better chance if you have a lawyer. A lot will depend on the crime, judge, state of the jails in your county and the mood of the judges wife that morning.

Or in other words... no way to know for sure. Anything is possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to write a motion to change supervised probation to unsupervised probation [ 6 Answers ]

How do I wirte a motion to get supervised probation changed to unsupervised probation

Unsupervised probation [ 2 Answers ]

My brother-in-law is on unsupervised probation in Tennessee. He wants to come live with me and his brother in Michigan. Will he get in trouble for leaving state if he does?

Violation of traffic Probation while on unsupervised crimal probation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was sentenced 3 yrs unsupervised probation for 2nd degree assault. He already had a case pending for traffic. He hit a car bumper. Was sentenced to supervised probation and to pay fines for damages of 1,000 dollars. We haven't paid the fine yet, we will at tax time we just haven't had...

Unsupervised probation [ 1 Answers ]

Can it be altered or finished early if granted by the courts? A motion made by an attorney CAN IT LEGALY BE DONE yes or no??

Unsupervised probation [ 2 Answers ]

I am on unsupervised probation and I have a court date later on this month about something else. I was charged a month before I was put on probation so if I am found guilty will this violate my probation.

View more questions Search