Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Aug 15, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Disability Ending.
    I have been collecting disability for a few years now. Since maybe 2004 or 2005.

Today I received a letter:

"We have information about your earnings that could affect your social security disabilty payments. Based on the information, it appears we will decide that your disability ended because of substantial work January 2007 and that you are not entitled to payments for

April 2007 through September 2007
    November 2007 through January 2008"

Now does this mean they have stopped me completely? I know all about the "9 month trial" thing, and yes my work, totaled is 9 months, BUT it is extremely erratic. You can obviously tell that from the 8 failed attempts, since 2005, at keeping a job, that I am unstable and am still having problems. None of the jobs lasted for more than 5 or 6 months. It doesn't make sense that they would come to the conclusion that they did. I am extremely confused AND VERY WORRIED as I obviously depend on the money to live and I have multiple expenses.

ANY input at all is greatly appreciated and if you need more info, please let me know. THANK YOU.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 03:12 PM

If there is an appeal page sign it and turn it in asap. Once they shut your case then you have very likely may have to go back and reapply from scratch.

If they are currently paying you and not having a problem with your hours now then it is probably more a matter of them saying they over paid you and want the money back. If that is the case then they will take so much per month out of you disability until it is paid.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 03:13 PM

The notice says that it appears that SS will end your benefits. Is this a notice of a Hearing? It does not indicate that your benefits were terminated.

The law concerning SSD and working states: "We have special rules called "work incentives" that help you keep your cash benefits and Medicare while you test your ability to work. For example, there is a trial work period during which you can receive full benefits regardless of how much you earn, as long as you report your work activity and continue to have a disabling impairment.

The trial work period continues until you accumulate nine months (not necessarily consecutive) in which you perform what we call "services" within a rolling 60-month period. We consider your work to be "services" if you earn more than $700 a month in 2009. For 2008, this amount was $670.

After the trial work period ends, your benefits will stop for months your earnings are at a level we consider "substantial," currently $980 in 2009. For 2008, this amount was $940. Different amounts apply to people who are disabled because of blindness. The monthly substantial amount for statutorily blind individuals for 2009 is $1,640; for 2008 this amount was $1,570.

For an additional 36 months after completing the trial work period, we can start your benefits again if your earnings fall below the "substantial" level and you continue to have a disabling impairment. For more information about work incentives, we recommend that you read the leaflet, Working While Disabled-How We Can Help (SSA Publication Number 05-10095)." Find An Answer to Your Question (Page 1 of 2)

Are you in compliance with this explanation?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2009, 03:18 PM

Don't you have a SS contact person? If you still have that information that should have been sent to you once you had been approved, please call him or her.

SS likes to know if a recipient is earning enough to temporarily or permanently disqualify him from benefits. I'm guessing that either they will want to be repaid for those months that they listed in their letter (when you were working), or will not pay you future benefits for the same number of months or will take so much out of each future check until the amount you owe them has been paid.

Please dig out your SS contact's name and phone, or call SS (from their web site). I've always had good experiences with the SS staff (later in the week is better than Mon or Tues) --

"By calling 1-800-772-1213, you can use our automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day.

If you cannot handle your business through our automated services, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday."

Aug 15, 2009, 03:24 PM

Thank you for all your information guys. They did give me a contact number in which I will call tomorrow or Monday, whenever they are open. The letter says simply that if they do not hear back from me within 10 days after receiving the letter, then the decision will become final. Nothing to sign. Nothing about an appeal or hearing. Thanks again for the info, it is very useful.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 03:27 PM

Then you need to make sure they hear back from you otherwise it is going to be a lot harder on you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by notcoolenough View Post
    Thank you for all your information guys. They did give me a contact number in which i will call tomorrow or monday, whenever they are open. The letter says simply that if they do not hear back from me within 10 days after receiving the letter, then the decision will become final. Nothing to sign. Nothing about an appeal or hearing. Thanks again for the info, it is very useful.
    They aren't there on Sunday. Call Monday, but be prepared to be on hold for a bit. Mondays are always busy. If you don't call at all, they will bill you for the money they sent you when you were working.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by notcoolenough View Post
    Thank you for all your information guys. They did give me a contact number in which i will call tomorrow or monday, whenever they are open. The letter says simply that if they do not hear back from me within 10 days after receiving the letter, then the decision will become final. Nothing to sign. Nothing about an appeal or hearing. Thanks again for the info, it is very useful.

They are asking for your response. You can respond and request a hearing OR you can do nothing or respond late and lose your benefits.

Are you in complaince with the section that I posted?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    They are asking for your response. You can respond and request a hearing OR you can do nothing or respond late and lose your benefits.

Are you in complaince with the section that I posted?
    He won't need a hearing. He can settle this by phone. They just want their money back from overpaying him for the months when he was working (and making too much money by their estimation).

Aug 15, 2009, 03:45 PM

JudyKayTee, I am almost positive that I have worked the 9 months, not consecutively, but I know that doesn't matter.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    He won't need a hearing. He can settle this by phone. They just want their money back from overpaying him for the months when he was working (and making too much money by their estimation).

My concern is that his benefits could end. I thought he needed to apply for a Hearing, aside from the money he may/may not have to return, to get benefits reinstated -

No?
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 05:28 PM

If he lets it lapse by not calling in time then yes.
    But if he calls in time they can take care of the whole thing over the phone usually

Aug 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Thanks again for your guys' help. I am stull unsure about what is going on. I called the local number and extension that they gave me, on Monday, and only got the machine so I left a message. I did not receive an answer by 11am so I called again. This time the lady picked up, but referred me to a "social security rep" (which I figured that was to whom I was speaking to). Unfortunately that only lead me to yet another machine. SO I just got off the phone with the national SS (the 800 number) and they have no record of such a letter being sent out or of any stop payments and the like... so I am going to wait for a call back from the local office again and if I don't hear back by Thursday morning, I will try to make it down there.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 10:54 AM

When I get the run around like that I go to their local office. You need to do that before your time is up because if they don't hear from you they just might cut you off.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 11:34 AM

Take the letter and go in person to your local SS office and settle this in person. Leaving messages on machines is getting you nowhere too fast. Your time is running out. You need to do this asap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disability/Taxes If you're on disability do I file taxes [ 2 Answers ]

If you're on disability do I file taxes

Should I file for s.s. Disability when I have private long-term disability insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

I will shortly begin collecting private long-term diability insurance to the tune of 60% of my former salary. Can I still apply for social security disability? If I do, would either or both of these be decreased?

Is it ending? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been in a 2 year relationship with my boyfriend. About a year ago he took another job in another state and started commuting back and forth. A month ago he moved there permanately and I stayed. I was willing to move with him, but he never asked me too. He says that I "bust his balls"...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search