Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gstevensonjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Mature trees dying at tops
    I have several hardwoods in my back yard that are dying at the tops, these are mature trees approximately 40 - 60 feet tall. One is a hickory and the others is some type of poplar. The tops have shedded leaves and the branches are dying and dropping off. Could this be the result of insect damage or we do also have woodpeckers? The bottom limbs seem to be fine and I don't see damage to the trunks. Any help would be appreciated.
    TootieG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 01:50 PM
    I live in NC and all of the Hickory trees in my yard are dead or dying. Ive lost 8 trees. Very tall trees. I think it has something to do with insects but Im not sure. Im going to call the county ag agent to see if hell come out and give some advise.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 04:59 AM

Sounds more like an insect or fungal problem than woodpeckers.. we have tons of woodpeckers here.. I watch them in the trees all the time but they have never caused the tree to shed its leaves or branches to die and fall off.. Check with your local agriculture or lands and forest orginizations they could have information on problem pests in your area etc..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dead tops on young maple trees [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the heart of Oklahoma. I planted 2 new maple trees in 2005 and they did okay in 2006 and 2007. But last year the tops of them died. Last year was not excessively rainy nor hot. Just a nice summer. I waited until growing season this year to see what would happen. The tops remain...

Killing Mature Trees [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbour's tree is coming across in my yard and I would like to kill it. Try pouring diesel around the roots but that did not work. Guess because the roots were too deep.

Cutting tops off trees/shrubs [ 1 Answers ]

We've got 6 mature evergreens at the front of our house. That's about the extent of my knowledge of their species (someone might have told me they were junipers however I may just have been dreaming). The needles are short and very pointy (sharp). Over the years, I've been trimming the sides but...

Maple-family trees dying? [ 1 Answers ]

It is almost July and all of the deciduous trees in my area have all of their leaves. These maple-family trees (maple leaves, but several "trunks"--actually pretty ugly without their leaves) have hardly any leaves, but are not entirely without leaves. I would have to go out and purchase a...

View more questions Search