Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Etiels Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 09:43 PM
    California condominium law
    I live in Southern Califonia in a condominum that is owned by my mother. Because my mom lives out of state, I have her power of attorney regarding the condominium.

My question is, am I eligible to run for the Board of Directors? I've been very active in the condo community for many years, and quite a few people have asked me to sit on the Board. I'm not sure I legally can. My mother says she can supply the written POA, if necessary.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Depends on the by laws of the condo association. If they specify only owners can sit on the board, then you probably can't. If its not specified, then you may be able to.

If you have been active, you should have a copy of the by-laws.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Hello Et:

Here's my take on it. YOU (Et) aren't eligible to run. Your mother is. Due to your POA, you ARE (for all intents and purposes), your mother.

The only reason you have a POA, and why you need one is to allow YOU to act as a "member". If "members" can run for office, your mother/you can too. In my view, the board couldn't tell a member that he is only covered by PART of the CC&R's, (and they'll decide which part, thank you very much).

You may very well, have to put your mother up as the candidate.

Certainly, if you ASK them (the board) if you can run, they'll tell you no. But it isn't up to them. I would just run as though you are supposed to, and let them be the ones to challenge it.

Of course, I could be all wet. I am an exconvict for crying out loud.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2006, 07:42 AM
    I have to disagree somewhat with excon here. A POA does not make you an owner. It simply authorizes you to act for the owner whenever necessary. Running for the board is not a necessary action you would partake on the part of the owner. So, if the bylaws specify that you have to be an owner then you don't qualify. If they don't so specify, then run and see if they try to stop you and on what grounds.
    Etiels Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Thank you both very much for your thoughts.

I'll let you know how this plays out

Elaine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice law in California [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a question does anybody know if it the law that you have to give a 30 day notice in the state of California because we were living at a home and our car was broken into twice in one week and there was a lot of out going activity going on after the first brake in , the people we think...

California inheritance law? [ 3 Answers ]

I am married and live in California. I have inherited some money from my father and I want to know if this inheritance is community property or does it just belong to me alone?

California Law Question... [ 11 Answers ]

We recently moved to California and rented a car from Enterprise. We thot we put on insurance but it was not "full coverage". We only found this out after an accident. We were told to check the credit card we used but they say they don't offer insurance anymore. We wondered if we were in...

California Condo law [ 1 Answers ]

Our condo complex has only four units. The homeowner who managed the financial and clerical aspects of our HOA died a few months ago. When her family put her condo on the market I made sure they were aware of the section in our CC&Rs that states "The Units shall be occupied and used by the...

View more questions Search