Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toastybob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Why are the planets and moos round
    It can't be because of a collection of gasses as the sun.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 08:40 PM

Not entirely sure, but here's my theory.

A sphere is the most stable three dimensional geometric shape. If it wasn't completely round, with so much mass, it would collapse upon itself.
    Have you ever built a lego tower as tall as you can? Even if it is straight, it will eventually fall. It needs support. A sphere gives the most support.

Plus, naturally, spheres are what fly around. Look at an atom, protons, neutrons, and electrons are all spheres.

Someone else may know for certain, or something else though.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:03 PM

Yep, that's correct HH. Also, you should know, toastybob, that planets were not all solid from the start. They too were composed of gases, which cooled down and solidified later on, giving the solid planets we know about today.

Take the Earth, you know that the circumference around the equator is slightly larger than the circumference joining the two poles. That's because the Earth rotates, and there is some 'centrifugal' force which caused that slight difference.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:19 PM

Yep. Like, if you get a squishy ball, tie it on a string, wind it up and let it spin. It will be elongated in the center.

Didn't think of that one! ;)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 12:43 PM

There's maybe something I can add to shed some light onto this. All matter in the universe seeks the lowest possible energy level. That's what we mean by stable.

In the case of a set of particles, the lowest possible configuration is that in which all of the particles are as close as possible to the centre of gravity. This describes a sphere.

It doesn't matter if they're solid, liquid, or gas. Over the timescale of billions of years, even solids shift significantly due to planetary processes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shape of the orbits of the 8 planets and pluto around the sun [ 3 Answers ]

Hello , I need this answers Thanks

Orbits of planets in the solar system [ 3 Answers ]

Hi If anyone can help me, it would be appreciated. I would like to know 3 things. 1 - why do planets orbit all on the same plane? 2 - why do they all orbit in the same direction?

Rotation of planets [ 1 Answers ]

Why do planets rotate?

Planets [ 14 Answers ]

Which planet spins backwards?

How would finding intelligent Life on other planets effect Religious beliefs? [ 62 Answers ]

This has been touched on in a few threads from time to time. I am interested to hear some different point of views on this. If we were to discover intelligent Life on another planet, how would that effect religious beliefs? Does it help to prove or disprove certain religions?

View more questions Search