Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 07:17 PM
    My friends child's operation. Does this go here
    My best friends oldest son *hes around 16* was out biking without a helmet (he was told to wear it but was also over an hour away from home so its not like we knew for sure if he was or not :( ) he somehow fell off his bike.. came home that night. Didn't say much went to bed... next day he got up saying his head was killing him.. trip to emergancy then off to the IWK children's hospital... Now he's been in there for a week... Removing blood from around his brain.And has a broken vertabre somewhere in his spine. Its hard to deal with right now because his children are like our nieces and nephews.

What I'm wondering was what are the possible side effects from having blood around the brain (I don't know how to spell the proper word for it) and could he possibly have brain damage that will effect him for the rest of his life?

*super worried*
    lolo620 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post

What i'm wondering was what are the possible side effects from having blood around the brain (i dont know how to spell the proper word for it) and could he possibly have brain damage that will effect him for the rest of his life?

*super worried*
    First off: everyone's situation is different. But, here is what I've dealt with in the past. 2 yrs ago group of us friends went canoeing for wknd. My husbands best friend was riding in back of truck through campgrounds. He fell out hit head on side of concrets low-water bridge. He was life flighted out, had multiple skull fractures, bleeding on both sides of brain, was in medical induced coma for 2 weeks ICU another week and then: Voilą through a couple weeks of inpatient therapy he was released. He at the time was in his second yr of school to become a licensed anesthesiologist, he has since completed and works in the surgery dept.
    To relieve the pressure the blood on the brain was causing he did have stints put in during one of his many surgeries. Not to say it wasn't an uphill battle but he was 26 at the time and they say younger people bounce back quicker. Once again everyone is different but the doctors all expected him to die and he didn't! So continue to pray. I know I didn't have much medical answers I just wanted to share my story, just to let you know that miracles do happen.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 08:32 PM

Binx, I don't have the answer, just want to say I'm sorry and I hope everything is okay.

Hugs dear.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 05:27 AM

Its official the operation lasted around 6 or 7 hours give or take. It went well... he is talking, walking (assisted mind you) and eating on his own... the doctors released him yesterday (I thought for sure they would keep him longer) and he is home.. he requested his father call us so we are going to visit him today when the dear husband comes home.. I don't know about stints or anything so I'm going to ask his father.. thank goodness he's back... and alive
    lolo620 Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Aug 18, 2009, 12:59 PM

So glad to hear binx! Sounds like he is well on the way to making a recovery! That is wonderful! Thanks for sharing the news!
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 03:49 PM

We just got home from seeing him.. he's doing wonderful walking around (has a neck brace on so he feels awkward he says) has his back bandaged because of road rash. He's got it in quite a few places.. turns out (and this might gross some people out) that his father could see his skull in one spot there was nothing else there. He had I think they said 18 mm of pressure around his brain.. he also cracked his skull. Found out the truth to how he got hurt though.. he hit a jump with a friend that was taller than I am... I'm 5' 4 3/4" he said he doesn't want to do anything like that ever again.. me personally I just hope he wears a helmet from now on.. to me that's the most important thing.. And the one thing above everything else is I'm glad he survived..
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2009, 04:56 PM

I'm so glad he's okay Binx. What a relief to you and your friends.
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2009, 07:13 AM

It is a very big relief.. its going to take him a longgg time to recover though because (little did I know they actually do this ) when they relieved the pressure they had to pull the skin back off his face, cut a hole in his skull then put it back in after.. it just sits there floating until it fuses back together *which I think it would bone is always growing and repairing especially in a young child* is it common to do that... cut a hole in someone's skull to releave pressure. Now I know there really isn't another way to do it but I thought maybe they drilled a small hole but not cut a couple inch long by a couple inch wide Hole in someone
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 19, 2009, 07:22 AM

Wow, medicine is simply amazing. I am so happy that he is doing well and recoverying. GOD is GOOD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing child's last name [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can legally change my child's last name without the father's consent. I live in PA and have primary physical custody and full legal custody.

Changing child's name [ 2 Answers ]

I need to change my daughter's last name I was told that I would have to pay like $300.00 dollars in order to get this done, also I was told that I would have to fill out paperwork by myself or pay a lawyer. Or should I wait until my daughter turns 18 in a couple of months?

A child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm about to have a daughter and am going through a dilema. Her father says that it will be easier for her if she has only a first and a last name. Whichever tha last name. Mine or his. But I believe that it will be better if she has one last name of mine and one from his side. Not thinking...

Changing my child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

How do I legally go about changing my daughter's last name? She has her father's but I want to change it to mine. He hasn't been around for over three years and she is just four. I wouldn't be able to find him to get his concent.

Child's speech [ 2 Answers ]

I have a daughter who will be three years old she is a bright child but I have recently realized that she is not able to prononce words with the letter c or k in them if she says a word with the letters they come out like a d. Also the letter f comes out like a b she says "this is for you but it...

View more questions Search